IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

I backed with the CIB Sydney Hunter game this morning as well. I also watched TPR's review of the prototype.

It looked like it was using the standard Coleco BIOS screen, but he said the final would be a CollectorVision one. Is it going to be possible to switch between them? Understanding there may be legal issues if it shipped with the standard. But could you supply your own on the SD card if you want that nostalgic look?

Yes, the system will support loading different BIOS files.

"Erin Plays" did a short video on her YouTube channel about the Collectorvision Phoenix kickstarter to drum up discussion about the console and campaign.

CollectorVision Phoenix: Thoughts on the ColecoVision FPGA Console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0s-6JqAIA

I normally like her videos but thought this was pretty bad. I understand she does not understand the large homebrew scene but she tries to compare it to other mini consoles that are available or announced. This project has no comparison to the mini-consoles and she mentinoed it was FPGA which the mini consoles are not. Huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0s-6JqAIAI normally like her videos but thought this was pretty bad. I understand she does not understand the large homebrew scene but she tries to compare it to other mini consoles that are available or announced. This project has no comparison to the mini-consoles and she mentinoed it was FPGA which the mini consoles are not. Huge difference.

I agree that was not the best most informed video, but it is at least nice to see the console getting exposure...

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0s-6JqAIA

I normally like her videos but thought this was pretty bad. I understand she does not understand the large homebrew scene but she tries to compare it to other mini consoles that are available or announced. This project has no comparison to the mini-consoles and she mentinoed it was FPGA which the mini consoles are not. Huge difference.

I would have been better if she new about CV homebrews, but at least she was informed enough that she didn't make any of the common ignorant comments going around - except maybe kinda lumping FPGAs and emulator clones together.

• Like 2

I sure hope this gets funded. I held off on the Analogue Nt Mini pending CV cart/controller support, but now that they're like $1000 this would be a much cheaper way to handle it. I'll give it a shout out on my small podcast, and hopefully net at least a backer or two.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

It makes sense, but this kickstarter could be also simply a means to evaluate roughtly how much you can hope as minimum if you release the product (even without being founded by the kickstarter itself)

That could be a good tool to start a market study.

When a kickstarter fails and they lower the goal, it usually gets even less money pledged the second or third time. The point of a kickstarter is to get the seed money to fund the project, and if it doesn't reach the goal, you come to the conclusion that there was not enough interest to support the project, and you are glad you did not get funding from a bank, because the project didn't have enough demand to be a good business decision.

Kickstarter is only a good idea to do a market study, if its a big company like Sony that wants to get a lot of attention and free publicity. Sony might not be as profitable as they used to be, but they are a huge corporation, and they did a kickstarter for a game just to get attention, free publicity, and the free money. If the kickstarter didn't get funded, they would have seen that as a sign that the demand for that game was low, and they would have cancelled the game. But, the funding for the game was never in question, because Sony is a big corporation.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 2

That's because people are idiots and they don't want to bother to read or look at anything, they just want to make broad assumptions until someone else comes along and corrects them. To which they will just get upset about that, too...

People are idiots. You can't pretend people are are smart. It needs to be said this has nothing to do with Retro VGS and Mike Kennedy.

• Like 1

Is there any advantage to the Ultimate SD Cart vs just using the SD slot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

I think the SD slot eliminates the need for a multi-cart, which adds value for everyone who doesn't own one, but I think people use them in the videos because it is a convenient way to show how well the cartridge port works. This is a known limitation for a number of other clone consoles with cart ports.

So the campaign dipped below 100% today...

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 6.23.13 PM.png

But thanks to you guys it came back!

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.29.48 PM.png

Remember... this system IS FOR US!!! And there should be enough of us here to make it happen....

SO LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Click/Tap/Smash that link and fund it! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/

• Like 3

Remember... this system IS FOR US!!! And there should be enough of us here to make it happen....

SO LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Click/Tap/Smash that link and fund it! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/

I'm wondering if I could find a couple of people who'd be willing to pledge on my behalf. Yes, I did say "a couple" because I'd like to purchase two Phoenix consoles. If the console does get fully funded (crossing my fingers here) I'd send the money promptly via Paypal to pay for my pledges.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I could find a couple of people who'd be willing to pledge on my behalf. Yes, I did say "a couple" because I'd like to purchase two Phoenix consoles. If the console does get fully funded (crossing my fingers here) I'd send the money promptly via Paypal to pay for my pledges.

I can vouch for Luc's promptness in payment! (and just let me know if you want me to do it!)

I would check with Brian to see if you add the additional funds with your pledge if they would honor you the additional consoles.

Edited by Oldschool80skid

I would check with Brian to see if you add the additional funds with your pledge if they would honor you the additional consoles.

The first FAQ on the KS specifically deals with this:

Yes. If you would like to order multiple rewards or rewards levels, all you need to do is adjust your reward level to add the extra cost of the desired rewards. When we send out the reward surveys, we will verify the desired rewards for each backer.

I will talk with Brian to see if we could pledge for you

I will talk with Brian to see if we could pledge for you

I had offered and agreed to do it for Luc but was waiting for Brian to let me know how much extra shipping I should add. BUT, if it would be better for Luc for one of you two guys to do it for him then let me know.

• Like 1