IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

The results look FANTASTIC on the screen, however I quickly learned that trying to capture CRT with a mobile phone is quite the challenge and I did the best I could. It probably doesn't help that the only CRT screen I have is a little Commodore 1702 monitor, but IMO these monitors are the BEST! All I can say is that looking at it live, the picture looks amazing! Hopefully you can at least get the vibe from these photos and the video. I cannot imagine someone putting this up on their CRT screen and being upset with the quality in any way...

I'm no authority on CRTs, but that looks great. Nice work showing the many capabilities the Phoenix has.

• Like 3

New Launch Core:

We will now be launching the CollectorVision Phoenix with the Atari 2600 core available. So the CollectorVision Phoenix will be able to play Atari 2600 games at launch. More information to be released soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/posts/2321563

• Like 11

New Launch Core:

We will now be launching the CollectorVision Phoenix with the Atari 2600 core available. So the CollectorVision Phoenix will be able to play Atari 2600 games at launch. More information to be released soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/posts/2321563

That's awesome news! I'm just hoping I can put together a spare $200 before the kickstarter ends. I need this in my life! I was super-excited about this before the Atari news, but its just got a lot better.

Having funded the system, my only pressing question is: Why has the original Colecovision font been changed? I like those dashed zeroes. The alphanumeric characters should look exactly like they are in the original Colecovsion character-rom code. Please give us the option to change to "original ROM" charset vs "Phoenix romset" with which you've apparently replaced in the Phoenix.

• Like 3

Having funded the system, my only pressing question is: Why has the original Colecovision font been changed? I like those dashed zeroes. The alphanumeric characters should look exactly like they are in the original Colecovsion character-rom code. Please give us the option to change to "original ROM" charset vs "Phoenix romset" with which you've apparently replaced in the Phoenix.

You have the option to change it back.

How about VGA then and RGB.. I have two France Scart/SECAM Colecovision those output RGB scart. Lot better than just composite signal.

Also F18A originally output VGA signal but sadly it yet won’t work with European Colecovision like it should. My other Coleco mod with F18A but can’t use it with every game.

Man, I love how we show off the console working beautifully on a CRT, your biggest complaint has been addressed, but that is STILL not good enough for you! lol Pixelboy is right. This just isn’t going to be the system for you...

New Launch Core:

Is there going to be a 2600 cart slot added to play carts eventually or is this strictly going to be to play roms via SD card? Hoping for the former but even the latter is just awesome

Is there going to be a 2600 cart slot added to play carts eventually or is this strictly going to be to play roms via SD card? Hoping for the former but even the latter is just awesome

Yeah, they should have mentioned whether or not they intend to produce a cartridge adaptor, eventually. But for the short term, it's probably just running Atari 2600 ROMs from an SD card, like it's done on the jailbroken Analogue NT Mini.

The 2600 core is very interesting.

As a big Colecovision dork, but not big enough of one to follow things like replacement chips, I'd like to see more about the F18A. The campaign page kinda takes it as read you know what it does, and yeah, I get it reduces sprite flicker, but beyond "it improves graphics," I don't know a great deal about it.

Yeah, they should have mentioned whether or not they intend to produce a cartridge adaptor, eventually. But for the short term, it's probably just running Atari 2600 ROMs from an SD card, like it's done on the jailbroken Analogue NT Mini.

He talked about it in the other thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/page-38?do=findComment&comment=4115308

The 2600 core is very interesting.

As a big Colecovision dork, but not big enough of one to follow things like replacement chips, I'd like to see more about the F18A. The campaign page kinda takes it as read you know what it does, and yeah, I get it reduces sprite flicker, but beyond "it improves graphics," I don't know a great deal about it.

F18a details here.

http://codehackcreate.com/archives/335

http://codehackcreate.com/archives/592

Note that the mk2 update changes the output from analog/vga to digital.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

New Launch Core:

Wow - that is truly awesome news.

As I understand it, the F18A offers extra graphic modes that brings it closer to the NES (sprites can be multi-color, hardware-based scrolling is supported, that kind of thing) but someone has to make new games that use those new video modes. If you stick with legacy ColecoVision games, you won't see much of a difference visually-speaking, aside from the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit being removed.

• Like 1

It is really fantastic news to hear that the 2600 core will be available. I think this will excite a lot of people. I think 99+% of the games, retail and homebrew, that have been made for the Atari 2600 are available as ROMs. Those that are not are mostly so rare that only a few people could own them or are pretty minor homebrews. There may be a couple exceptions, but very few. I know some people just like using carts, so, it would be interesting to a lot of people know the future feasibility of using the expansion port for a 2600 cart adapter that doesn't just dump the rom, like the RetroN77.

I think 99+% of the games, retail and homebrew, that have been made for the Atari 2600 are available as ROMs. Those that are not are mostly so rare that only a few people could own them or are pretty minor homebrews. I know some people just like using carts, so, it would be interesting to a lot of people know the future feasibility of using the expansion port for a 2600 cart adapter that doesn't just dump the rom, like the RetroN77.

If a cart adaptor is made, it will likely be plugged into the main cartridge slot, not the Phoenix's expansion port.

I wonder which port CollectorVision's Spinner controller will use, by the way...