IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

Why does everyone stress how old and falling apart the original hardware is? I have a lot of old video games consoles, computers, TVs, stereos, a cassette player, etc from the same time period, and all that stuff works great. Original hardware has been very reliable in my experience, so I don't get why the CollectorVision people stress that as a main reason for needing new hardware.

Because that's true?

Why do you think people are doing new way to power up thr system?

The damn IC chips?

This is the worst system (in term of hardware quality) I ever owned

I do have about 30 different consoles and the CV is definitely the worst one

I also bought many lots of CV consoles, and 90% had problems with them, always the power supply, power switch, IC chip etc...

Now, you're entitled to think whatever you want, and I accept that and note all comments and suggestions, so no hate here :)

• Like 2

I'm one of the many who must have noticed too and am, at the moment, feeling as gutted as you are. Desperately hoping that there will be a massive surge of pledges, but am not holding my breath. I was pleased to hear that even if the KS doesn't reach it's goal that the Phoenix will still be available but with a 3D printed case. To be honest having a 3D printed case doesn't really bother me that much, but if the failed KS also means much less, or no further, development of the Phoenix beyond what it currently is, then that would be an absolute tragedy.

If you have seen any of Ben Heck's projects, he does 3D printed cases, but he puts a laser cut plastic or metal plate on the surface so it looks professional and not 3D printed.

• Like 1

---

Unfortunately I can't pledge toward a kickstarter. I'm only allowed to buy things that are in the here and now.

So that's the wife's rules? Aka "The Boss"? Come on. Just tell her how Kickstarters work and that no money is paid unless they reach their goal and that CollectorVision are an established, trustworthy company and delivery of the console is pretty much guaranteed etc etc.

• Like 1

I think everyone has been thinking the same thing, the funding and backers are going up at a steady rate, but it will not be enough for the deadline. No one can say anything about this, because you get labeled a hater that wants to prevent the project from being funded. Because apparently saying anything that isn't 100% positive is the type of comment that prevents the project from being funded.

If this project doesn't get funded, then Collectorvision will probably make a better console, find another source of funding, or make the same console cheaper so the funding goal is reached.

Why does everyone stress how old and falling apart the original hardware is? I have a lot of old video games consoles, computers, TVs, stereos, a cassette player, etc from the same time period, and all that stuff works great. Original hardware has been very reliable in my experience, so I don't get why the CollectorVision people stress that as a main reason for needing new hardware.

Original hardware may need minor repairs from time to time. But, brand new electronics breakdown down all the time, and you throw it out without thinking and buy a new one. Home many phones, usb chargers, Tvs, printers, etc have you thrown away in the last 10 years without attempting to repair, without thinking about fixing it? The only difference is you feel bad about throwing out old video game consoles, so you think they need to be repaired, don't know how to repair, and get frustrated and give up. If you don't know how to maintain original hardware, you can go to ebay at any time and buy another one if you need to, there is no shortage of them for sale guaranteed to work or your money back. And you can sell your non-working console as is, and let someone else buy it who knows how to do the repair.

Fair enough but from what I've read, I would have to spend twice as much to get an original console to do the things the Phoenix can do so why would I want to do that?

• Like 1

Because that's true?

Why do you think people are doing new way to power up thr system?

The damn IC chips?

This is the worst system (in term of hardware quality) I ever owned

I do have about 30 different consoles and the CV is definitely the worst one

I also bought many lots of CV consoles, and 90% had problems with them, always the power supply, power switch, IC chip etc...

Now, you're entitled to think whatever you want, and I accept that and note all comments and suggestions, so no hate here icon_smile.gif

When people store stuff in their basement/garage/barn for 30 years, then they get damaged, and are in pretty bad shape. When original owners took good care of their console and it was in a closet for 30 years, they usually work in great condition.

How many ColecoVision consoles do you need? Why would you need more than two? If 90% of them are bad, you should keep one or two from that 10%. My point is you should pick the best one and it will be reliable and have another 30 years of good life.

In my experience the Atari 5200 controller is the worst controller in terms of breaking down and reliability. The NES front loader mechanism is the worst because it doesn't make good contact with the cartridges. Everything else from the 70's and 80s including ColecoVision is equally reliable in my opinion.

When people store stuff in their basement/garage/barn for 30 years, then they get damaged, and are in pretty bad shape. When original owners took good care of their console and it was in a closet for 30 years, they usually work in great condition.

How many ColecoVision consoles do you need? Why would you need more than two? If 90% of them are bad, you should keep one or two from that 10%. My point is you should pick the best one and it will be reliable and have another 30 years of good life.

In my experience the Atari 5200 controller is the worst controller in terms of breaking down and reliability. The NES front loader mechanism is the worst because it doesn't make good contact with the cartridges. Everything else from the 70's and 80s including ColecoVision is equally reliable in my opinion.

Oh! ... I only need one CV.....the Phoenix ;)

Seriously, I got many CV consoles because there's was a time when CollectorVision was recycling cartridge shells, so I had to buy them in lot

5200 controller, ......but you're talking about a controller here, not the actual console

NES front loader sucks, that's a fact, although the rest of the hardware is top notch

Home many phones, usb chargers, Tvs, printers, etc have you thrown away in the last 10 years without attempting to repair, without thinking about fixing it?

I hear what you are saying, but you can really compare a 1980s video game console to a 2010s USB Charger?

There's a huge difference between not repairing a 2010 iPhone because you can still get an iPhone in 2018 and needing the CollectorVision Phoenix because the last round of new hardware that came out which plays those games was maybe the Dina in the late 1980s. For example: let's just say it's 2045 and iPhones don't exist anymore and all of a sudden my now 11 year old daughter has an urge to play "Jetpack Joyride" like she remembers 35 years ago, she probably will go scouring for a retro iPhone 4 to play it on.

If retro gamers didn't want new hardware to replace their old systems, consoles like what Analogue, Hyperkin, or RetroUSB sells wouldn't be so popular. I'd love for my "daily use" ColecoVision to be a quarter of the size and require ONE cable output instead of having a VGA+ Audio cable connected to another box that also has a power cable and another cable coming out of it and then into my TV.

• Like 1

You can count this as a small sample size but the general consensus from PRGE was of the 80% of the people I talked to that had a colecovision most had unresolved issues with it. I had several people come by and say they had a least 4 and none of them worked. If someone has the skills to do the upkeep on the system like cleaning the power switch and cartridge port, they can keep the system working for a long while. Most people unfortunately do not have the tools or skills to do that. They just want something that is going to work.

• Like 1

Fair enough but from what I've read, I would have to spend twice as much to get an original console to do the things the Phoenix can do so why would I want to do that?

If you want all the stuff it has, then it is a good value. I already have an AtariMax SD, SGM, and ADAM Computer. I don't want an F18A, I don't want to use HDMI on an HDTV, and I don't know what SEX COURTNEY is, but might be open to it if someone explains what it is, and what games work with it. Adding in Atari 2600 support is great, but I already have a bunch of ways to play those games. If you want to play 2600 games on your HDTV with HDMI, then it becomes a feature you would want.

Edited by Hannacek

I'm a fence sitter and it may stay that way unless I can sell something else gaming related first. We are doing some home renos soon and extraneous spending is off the table for a while yet. If I had the cash I'd have already pledged. That's a fact.

Can the kickstarter be extended if it doesn't make the one month goal? I admit I don't know exactly how they work.

• Like 1

If you have seen any of Ben Heck's projects, he does 3D printed cases, but he puts a laser cut plastic or metal plate on the surface so it looks professional and not 3D printed.

I was actually just chatting with my friend last night who was looking at the 3D Printed case of the Phoenix and we both agreed that some decent metallic stickers like what was on the original ColecoVision is all you would need to make this case feel more professional. A slightly higher quality 3D print and stickers and I think most people wouldn't notice the difference.

That being said, I know how important being able to fund the injection mold is because it greatly reduces the cost of making the cases and time. It may be time to call on the "ColecoVision Brotherhood" to help get something like this funded, knowing that we'd all get our money back in time as the console sells.

Just throwing out "Plan B" ideas if needed...

I was pleased to hear that even if the KS doesn't reach it's goal that the Phoenix will still be available but with a 3D printed case. To be honest having a 3D printed case doesn't really bother me that much...

I wish I felt the same way. I'm a very all or nothing kind of person. The Phoenix promises to be everything I wanted in respect to my Colecovision gaming wishes but with just a 3D printed case, it won't be. I want it to be something I would be proud to show off in every respect, including the console case itself. I'm still holding onto hope that this Kickstarter will be a success because I'm not very good at compromising.

You can count this as a small sample size but the general consensus from PRGE was of the 80% of the people I talked to that had a colecovision most had unresolved issues with it. I had several people come by and say they had a least 4 and none of them worked. If someone has the skills to do the upkeep on the system like cleaning the power switch and cartridge port, they can keep the system working for a long while. Most people unfortunately do not have the tools or skills to do that. They just want something that is going to work.

If you own four ColecoVision consoles, it is your problem that you keep buying them with no ability to troubleshoot or repair. If someone told me they were divorced four times, I would not believe them if they told me the problem was all four ex-wives. I would expect them to take responsibility after the first or second divorce. Some people are better off single, and some people are better off with emulation or the FGPA SNES or something else that plays the roms.

Edited by Hannacek

I have the skills and tools to repair and maintain classic systems. Tools ranging from a screwdriver and solder sponge all the way to scope and logic analyzer. I'm also formally trained in electronics, whilst specializing in digital communications hardware.

Despite that, I honest to gods really don't want to be messing around with switches, multiple-wire hookups or intermittent connections & controllers. If even for a little while once in a while.

I do some of that basic stuff on my Apple II collection and it really gets to me. So. Reliable and fuss-free is my mantra.

I hear what you are saying, but you can really compare a 1980s video game console to a 2010s USB Charger?

I would say the ColecoVision power brick is more reliable than cheap USB phone chargers. I'm not talking about the original chargers that come from reputable companies like Apple and Samsung, I'm talking about the no name ones you get at Walmart or CVS.

Edited by Hannacek

Seems like the best bet would be to suspend it and restart it down the road. No drama, no hate, just an opinion. And an idea.

When you relaunch, inundate the (new) campaign page with videos, both over the shoulder game playing involving the unit in view and direct capture of games being played. Bash them over the head with "THIS THING ACTUALLY EXISTS." Sell people on the F18A, on the SGM (just giving links to those items isn't good enough, IMO; like I was saying upthread, I'm a big ColecoVision dork, and own a SGM, but didn't really know a great deal about the F18A); let 'em know why they're a value instead of just saying they are one. Sell them on the SD slot. I realize you can't say "ROMZ, EVERYBODY," but tell people that there are legal, free roms that they can find. Sell them on the controller compatibility (I think the SNES controller thing is really neat, for instance). Sell them on FPGA future compatibility for other stuff (especially in a world where you have Analogue consoles out there ruling the roost). Sell them on the utility the average person with a handful of CV games lying around is going to get out of this. Sell them on EVERYTHING about this. Hell, throw in some scare mongering about CV failure rates, if you have to. "HDMI ColecoVision" just simply may not be enough for eleven hundredish people, you know? You've got to stand out and shout. You can't rely on the community to get the word out (as valuable as that is); you have to make a big noise and attract attention and make sure no one could have any possible questions about the project. Kill them with more info than necessary. Make it exciting! Make it attractive! You are selling a product ,after all.

I don't think the current campaign page really sells you enough on the product; it's speaking to the converted. You have to assume you have 200 - 300 diehards who don't need the sell job; you have to appeal to those other 800+ people who might be on the fence or don't realize why they need this. Frankly, you've got to convince jerks like me who have a perfectly reasonable CV setup why I need to shell out ducats. "It's not for you" isn't good feedback; make it known why it's for everybody with some ColecoVIsion carts!

Anyway, just some thoughts.

• Like 3

I think it was a big missed opportunity to not have the board fit in an original ColecoVision case. It seems like the perfect solution to people who have non-working units who don't want to troubleshoot and figure out what is the problem. It is also a solution to injection molding a new case, which is expensive. it would be a great selling feature to tell people to save the original ColecoVision board in the Phoenix box so they could switch it back if they ever wanted.

They said they didn't do this because the new cases would be really expensive because they would have to be the size of original ColecoVision cases, but that is not true. They could easily design a small case for the board. They just wanted the new case to look nice with the controller ports in the front, and all the other ports nice and neat in the back. Any new case that would be board compatible with original cases would not look as nice and clean.

• Like 1