IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

Man I'm so confused why all the issues here. This thing is a freaking bargain, and am really not sure what else people would want. You'd need to get a good, working colecovision. That's $100. Then you need a SuperGame module. That's $100. Then you need an AtariMax cart. That's $130. Then you need a modified Famicom Network controller, which is about $60 more than a standard one, so you have a $60 savings there.

Then you need to get the F18A chip (and if you have not seen the difference between an F18A console and a regular one, you're missing out) and an HDMI port, which used to cost over $100 for the mod, and you'd have to do it yourself. Then you have to hope that all that works together and you didn't break something. And have you seen how much space all that stuff takes up?

Or you can spend $200 - $300 on this thing and be done, get better PQ, 2600 support (F18A 2600!!!), and be done.

I don't get it. If this thing can't get more than 200 - 300 backers then that Intellivision thing is DOOMED.

My only recommendation is CollectorVision needs better sales materials - marketing videos, imagery, etc. They quality of what they are putting out leaves much to be desired, and I can see why people might think this is a bit of a hack. Look at what Opcode puts out - even his Omni stuff looks great, and look at that Intellivision Video was pretty high-quality. I think that's more of a problem then some of the intra-retro game fighting is, IMO.

Edited by Albert Penello
  • Like 1

One idea I have in mind - although I have no clue how much of an impact it would have - is to have a small handful of the Phoenix systems available to owners of video game stores around the country. If you feel you can trust them to show off the system and let their customers play it in the store.

Already sent off an email detailing the Phoenix and the Kickstarter to Sean Kelly (co-founder of the National VideoGame Museum and CGE) who owns a videogame store just outside of Chicago, but did not hear back from him.

Someone should contact Joe Santulli of Digital Press who owns a store in the New Jersey.

• Like 3

Someone should contact Joe Santulli of Digital Press who owns a store in the New Jersey.

Has anyone posted about the Phoenix on the Digital Press forums? I was going to but my login no longer works and my requests for password resets have resulted in nothing.

Edited by Ikrananka

Closing in on 300 backers! Cmon CV family! Go show your support! The more people who pledge, the better chance we have of this project becoming a reality even if the Kickstarter doesnt fund! There will be a Plan B so go fund this thing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

657EFCEA-B4E3-49BF-9209-52C200EB5C41.jpeg

I just pledged my support for the CV Phoenix! To the guys at Collectorvision, I do apologize that it took me so long to do so. I've been a little tied up and preoccupied with some personal stuff over the past couple of months. Thanks again for all that you guys do for the ColecoVision community! :)

• Like 2

I have a general question about the KS campaign: Do the CollectorVision guys have private access to the list of names of all backers, or does this list remain secret until the end of the campaign? If the list of names is currently kept secret, will this list be available if the KS doesn't meet its funding goal?

I have a general question about the KS campaign: Do the CollectorVision guys have private access to the list of names of all backers, or does this list remain secret until the end of the campaign? If the list of names is currently kept secret, will this list be available if the KS doesn't meet its funding goal?

The only thing we have access to is the kickstarter name, but that can be generic like Guest23985729. We do have a method to send a message to the backers either all together or as separate messages.

The only thing we have access to is the kickstarter name, but that can be generic like Guest23985729. We do have a method to send a message to the backers either all together or as separate messages.

Interesting. Regardless what shape "Plan B" will take after November 7th, it would be important to have a way to stay in touch with the backers.

Interesting. Regardless what shape "Plan B" will take after November 7th, it would be important to have a way to stay in touch with the backers.

I still get messages with updates from the Dragon's Lair movie that didn't fund a couple of years ago. This is why I stress that it is VERY IMPORTANT that even if it doesn't fund, everyone who is actually interested should pledge. That way, when Plan B gets put into place, CollectorVIsion can still communicate what is going on with the project with those people who want the Phoenix.

So go pledge right now! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/

I still get messages with updates from the Dragon's Lair movie that didn't fund a couple of years ago. This is why I stress that it is VERY IMPORTANT that even if it doesn't fund, everyone who is actually interested should pledge. That way, when Plan B gets put into place, CollectorVIsion can still communicate what is going on with the project with those people who want the Phoenix.

So go pledge right now! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/

Also, since Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal, people who would actually pledge 199$ or more if Paypal was accepted should contact CollectorVision to be added to the global mailing list towards "Plan B".

• Like 2

Also, since Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal, people who would actually pledge 199$ or more if Paypal was accepted should contact CollectorVision to be added to the global mailing list towards "Plan B".

Which email do we send plan b interest to?

Which email do we send plan b interest to?

I'm sure CollectorVision will give instructions in this thread soon after the end of the KS campaign, less than two weeks from now. At that time, I'm hoping our friend TPR will do one last "post-mortem" video to broadcast these instructions via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and whichever other social media option is available. :)

• Like 1

I'm sure CollectorVision will give instructions in this thread soon after the end of the KS campaign, less than two weeks from now. At that time, I'm hoping our friend TPR will do one last "post-mortem" video to broadcast these instructions via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and whichever other social media option is available. :)

I'm covered then. TPR is all over my social media feeds :)

I saw this at PRGE and it is impressive. Seeing burger time without sprite flicker was wonderful.

That they have now added 2600 support makes it even better -- the Kickstarter page could use a headline update and some additional info in support of it.

I went for the early adopter version myself...

• Like 1

I'm very intrigued by this. I spent some time at the Collectorvision booth at PRGE speaking with Brian... he did a great job of showing off the capabilities of the system and it looked great!

One question re: 2600 support; it sounds like they've actually added a 2600 core to the FPGA, and that will be able to run 2600 games via SD card. I heard there is a possibility/plan of adding an adapter to play 2600 carts also. If so, will the core be able to run DPC+/CDF games (Scramble, Draconian, Mappy, etc)? I would think so but wanted to confirm.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

So I am not a CV. It is currently the only system in that era that I want but don't have.

It is killing me that I won't be able to back this. Got a baby coming soon so I should be aware of my spending. I wish you the best because I see the value in this.

• Like 2

One question re: 2600 support; it sounds like they've actually added a 2600 core to the FPGA, and that will be able to run 2600 games via SD card. I heard there is a possibility/plan of adding an adapter to play 2600 carts also. If so, will the core be able to run DPC+/CDF games (Scramble, Draconian, Mappy, etc)? I would think so but wanted to confirm.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

John

The core would almost certainly play them if they were on cartridge, it's be just like any other cartridge. But, for ROMS, wouldn't the core have to also emulate the stuff inside the melody/harmony cartridge? I'm not aware of any 2600 core that does that.

But correct be if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

So that's the wife's rules? Aka "The Boss"? Come on. Just tell her how Kickstarters work and that no money is paid unless they reach their goal and that CollectorVision are an established, trustworthy company and delivery of the console is pretty much guaranteed etc etc.

It's kinda a pact we made some years ago. And without these various checks and balances I'd be on a special episode of hoarders. So.. it isn't all bad! Must maintain focus on my existing platforms which aren't too numerous.

• Like 1