IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

I'm not trying to be a drama queen. As I said I WOULD be interested in the future when my Colecovision breaks. That's just not now.

At least I know that I can't use an HDMI->Composite adapter on a CRT TV and expect sub-microsecond ping time on such a converter. Now I got proof. Thanks for showing me. :)

By the way isn't that the number one reason to use a CRT TV for video games, for sub-microsecond ping on devices that are natively 240p or 480i?

It's conversion between resolutions which causes more ping problems than display technologies. If they make a 1 ms HDMI monitor, then that last statement is true.

I'm not trying to be a drama queen. As I said I WOULD be interested in the future when my Colecovision breaks. That's just not now.

At least I know that I can't use an HDMI->Composite adapter on a CRT TV and expect sub-microsecond ping time on such a converter. Now I got proof. Thanks for showing me. :)

By the way isn't that the number one reason to use a CRT TV for video games, for sub-microsecond ping on devices that are natively 240p or 480i?

It's conversion between resolutions which causes more ping problems than display technologies. If they make a 1 ms HDMI monitor, then that last statement is true.

Just keep chillin in your Mom's basement and you won't have anything to worry about.

"Ping"...you don't know what the word means...please stop using it...

• Like 2

I'm not trying to be a drama queen.

Dude...I'm a CRT fanatic who refuses to play old games on modern displays (because of IQ, not "ping" aka lag btw). But your stubborn posts here just help people like Yurkie here to paint the whole CRT posse as clueless, luddite basement dwellers, which is not exactly the case.

The reason I say that is because Bmack26 have just said they're planning an add on to enable native CRT signal (three cheers). So what's the problem?

Plus, your insistence on the absolute revelance of "sub microsecond ping", the WTFness of this term aside, is vastly exaggerated. You can get HDMI displays with very low lag, some ~1ms. And unless you're a speedrunner or some extremely competitive beat/shoot'em up player, a slight lag won't really affect your gameplay. It's just a thing people like to say these days becasue that makes them look informed and 1337.

• Like 2

It's not a bad use of the term. It's a measure of the time for a signal to return to the source. In this case the signal comes from the player as an action on the controller, that action is processed by the computer and transferred to the display, and then returns to the player's eyes.

I do own a Sony PVM, so I can understand why people would love to plug the Phoenix in RGB instead of HDMI

Although, our intentions was to make a system so ''everyone'' could enjoy... and most importantly, reliable!

Not everyone have a RGB monitor (in North America at least) since we didn't have SCART/Peritel here in America

Nowadays, everyone have a HDMI monitor and that's exactly why we took that route.

The output as it stands today is just fine. Reliability and convenience of connection are near paramount.

I only use crt via rf for all 8 bit and never emulate. Usually 1st party controllers too..

I found it interesting they are supporting non hdmi users. Flat screen is so modern.. YUCK! :P

RF. That's hardcore in a primitive way. I would do the same if I was doing real hardware. I always emulate.

If someone has a competitive gaming HDMI monitor who can either ship it to the Phoenix maker, or lives close enough where they can drop it off, I'd like to see the ping time on that. If my theroy is right, the CRT has most of the delay coming from the 1080p-> 480i conversion box. If my theory is correct, then if you use a 1 ms ping monitor, then 15 out 16 actions will have zero practical ping. 1 out of 16 actions will have 1 frame ping. This is assuming 60 frames per second capture.

So maybe as time advances more solutions would be made. So f you are concerned about ping, then a competitive gaming monitor combined with a Phoenix will be considered an essentially zero-ping solution. Literally the only thing it wouldn't be considered zero ping for is light gun games, whiohc require sub-microsecond ping times.

As soon as they make external 3D TV adapters (being, buy any TV, add 3D processors and glasses separately), I'd buy one of those, a low ping gaming monitor, and once the originals break, any HDMI replacements and I'd be good. I just don't need it now.

So anyone have a competitive gaming monitor that can be shipped to/walked over to the OP, the proof would be in the pudding.

By the way I don't romanticize the CRT for it's picture quality, or its 90 "bit-equivalent" color depth, even though for 3D content, the Segascope Zaxxon 3D had better 3d in the dark scenes than Star Trek Beyond's "pitch black" scene, but I wouldn't move heaven and earth to watch 3D on a CRT TV, except the Sega Scope 3D, which HAS to be played that way. I only obsess about CRTs for gameplay reasons. And the Phoenix directly through a gaming monitor may be a better option than a Phoenix through a CRT TV using a converter. If most things are on-frame with a competitive monitor, then the OP proved his point that the Phoenix adds no ping on HIS part. And if he wants to prove that point, that would be the perfect test.

If someone has a competitive gaming HDMI monitor who can either ship it to the Phoenix maker, or lives close enough where they can drop it off, I'd like to see the ping time on that. If my theroy is right, the CRT has most of the delay coming from the 1080p-> 480i conversion box. If my theory is correct, then if you use a 1 ms ping monitor, then 15 out 16 actions will have zero practical ping. 1 out of 16 actions will have 1 frame ping. This is assuming 60 frames per second capture.

So maybe as time advances more solutions would be made. So f you are concerned about ping, then a competitive gaming monitor combined with a Phoenix will be considered an essentially zero-ping solution. Literally the only thing it wouldn't be considered zero ping for is light gun games, whiohc require sub-microsecond ping times.

As soon as they make external 3D TV adapters (being, buy any TV, add 3D processors and glasses separately), I'd buy one of those, a low ping gaming monitor, and once the originals break, any HDMI replacements and I'd be good. I just don't need it now.

So anyone have a competitive gaming monitor that can be shipped to/walked over to the OP, the proof would be in the pudding.

By the way I don't romanticize the CRT for it's picture quality, or its 90 "bit-equivalent" color depth, even though for 3D content, the Segascope Zaxxon 3D had better 3d in the dark scenes than Star Trek Beyond's "pitch black" scene, but I wouldn't move heaven and earth to watch 3D on a CRT TV, except the Sega Scope 3D, which HAS to be played that way. I only obsess about CRTs for gameplay reasons. And the Phoenix directly through a gaming monitor may be a better option than a Phoenix through a CRT TV using a converter. If most things are on-frame with a competitive monitor, then the OP proved his point that the Phoenix adds no ping on HIS part. And if he wants to prove that point, that would be the perfect test.

I once played a video game and had a great time. I Really enjoyed it. True story.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 2

RF. That's hardcore in a primitive way. I would do the same if I was doing real hardware. I always emulate.

That is cool. The blurriness brings bsck memories. Even some snow and static now and then is ok.

It is funny some people think that it is low class or stupid to do RF like everyone has bigscreens as well and a zakillion new tech laying around.

I just have another room in my house for 8 bit gaming only.

I have emulated before. I spent a day dowloading every system and rom image.

After a week I never played again. Felt boring. Some people play atari with arrow keys on keyboards. That is primitive.

It is grest there is new hardware coming out that keeps it close to the originals with a cart slot and controller ports!

• Like 1

Just halfway to the goal with 11 hours to spare. Part of me wants this to succeed. The other part of me says I need to pay off my credit card... :sad:

Edit: I pledged for a complete system in the 11th hour. I don't even own any Coleco carts, LOL... ;-)

Well, there are 350 of them waiting for you. :)

That's because people are idiots and they don't want to bother to read or look at anything, they just want to make broad assumptions until someone else comes along and corrects them. To which they will just get upset about that, too...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Six hours left to go and only 9 more pledges needed to break 450! Can we do it? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

Remember! Even if the Kickstarter does not fund, which let's be honest, it most likely won't, this system WILL still get produced! By pledging you'll automatically be signed up updates from CollectorVision about this system so you can be notified when the pre-order window happens! If you're interested in this system, you won't want to miss out on it! Pledge now and stay informed!

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 4.29.13 PM.png

Might be good to point out before everyone gets their hopes up that I doubt the end of the Kickstarter at 11:00pm EST today is some kind of official announcement time for Plan B in its partiality or entirety. I'm thinking they will probably use the final data to organize and get back to us in the next few days about where they are in the planning process.

More than half funded is impressive and shows the interest and support is there. That this homebrew effort from a small company should succeed to this extent shows the loyalty of this smallish community.

I look forward to Plan B and the reality of having the Phoenix in my hands somtime soon...

• Like 2

Rather a nice surge in pledges going on with more new backers today than any other day of the campaign. Currently at 452 backers and close to $125,000 (54%). Nice to see but I just don't understand why those pledging now have left it to the last day to do so. Regardless, I'm delighted to see this happening.

Edited by Ikrananka

Rather a nice surge in pledges going on with more new backers today than any other day of the campaign. Currently at 452 backers and close to $125,000 (54%). Nice to see but I just don't understand why those pledging now have left it to the last day to do so. Regardless, I'm delighted to see this happening.

Could be the people who have said they would like to back it, but can't afford to right now. This way they could show their (future) interest, but not worry about getting charged now due to the fact there is no way it will get funded.