IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

I don't know who any of these people are [...] If anything, they came across more as obnoxious ageist A-holes

I'm sorry, but you (and few others in this thread) really really really - really - are not helping your cause.

It's one thing being prickly about "trolls" - even if some of them are just normal posters asking genuine questions - but insulting some of the wider retro gaming community heavyweights is unwise, and if I may borrow the phrase, also "uninformed". It's also very damaging.

And yeah, I'm not a card-carrying part of this community and no, I do not intend to pledge at the moment so feel free to launch an over-emotional half page post full of scorn "of how dare you speak up" variety, pleas for NO DRAMA (while creating it) and some tired memes.

To Bmack36 and other reasonable supporters: I'm sorry for adding to the bickering, but I do believe that part of a succesful campaign is proper PR & community management too, not just hardware/software specs. I was watching it from sidelines because I think you have a really great product on your hands, one of the better ones I've seen in recent years and I really wish you all the best, even if this campaign falters. And who knows, maybe will even contribute one day, especially if you manage to add more cores.

But while I believe TPR & others are true passionates who mean well and really want to help, they do make some serious mistakes along the way. Other retro enthusiasts are also very passionate and do not need to read that owning a CRT means you're a stunted basement-dweller, for example, or that they shoud remain quiet because they don't have enough posts in the Coleco threads. Given the market saturation and previous failures it is only natural that people are skeptical and ask sometimes very anal questions. You need to take it on the chin, be patient, respond in a composed manner (thing you yourself have been doing) and only if somebody really is a repetitive troll, put a stop to it - though in my experience as a mod I've found out that ignoring such cases sometimes works quite well too (without creating the dreaded DRAMA)

I remain hopeful you will read this as "constructive criticism" and not trolling. Again, all the best with the Phoenix and Plan B.

• Like 7

I'm sorry, but you (and few others in this thread) really really really - really - are not helping your cause.

It's one thing being prickly about "trolls" - even if some of them are just normal posters asking genuine questions - but insulting some of the wider retro gaming community heavyweights is unwise, and if I may borrow the phrase, also "uninformed". It's also very damaging.

I'm sorry but did you WATCH and LISTEN to that roundtable discussion? Not only am I ...

A. Allowed to have an opinion about it, but...

B. I do not feel my assessment is wrong.

I may not purchase a console for my personal use, but for others. And via this posting I'm letting the developers know my interest of about 10 units. No need to go through kickstarter to inform them.

Posting interest in something doesn't really mean anything. Saying your interested and actually putting up the money (ie. Kickstarter) are two very different things. A bunch of people could all come in here and post how interested they are. And CollectorVision could build that many units. And then when the time comes, they could be stuck if people don't follow through.

A similar thing is happening right now with the Jag Pro repro controllers. A bunch of people expressed interest, so he had a batch made up based off that list of interested people. But now that he has actually had them made and is taking payments, many of those people are not buying them:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271862-brand-new-atari-jaguar-pro-controllers-interest-check/

Just to shout out please buy some of these controllers if you previously offered to. A decent number of people on the pre-order list have currently not placed an order yet which unfortunately leaves me currently still under the break even point despite having enough pre-orders for twice as many controllers being sold than I needed!

So that is why Kickstarter is needed, rather than just a sign up sheet. So the dev/manufacturer doesn't get stuck with a bunch of inventory (and debt) someone was interested in, but never followed through on. KS is guaranteeing your interest.
  • Like 3

(sorry if this was mentioned, I eventually had to skip to the end)

I appreciate the theory of buying more than one, as the value will (should) increase down the road, like many homebrew games. However, the people who aren't backing seem to either want more/different features and/or don't like the price point for themselves.

Why would those people then spend *more* to get one when they don't want to now?

If it's my post you're referring to I said if you are buy 1 why not buy 2. So by inference you already thought 1 was a good idea...which it is. You have to be interested already to even be in this thread so I think you should consider it as I think it's a damn cool project.

(sorry if this was mentioned, I eventually had to skip to the end)

I appreciate the theory of buying more than one, as the value will (should) increase down the road, like many homebrew games. However, the people who aren't backing seem to either want more/different features and/or don't like the price point for themselves.

Why would those people then spend *more* to get one when they don't want to now?

• Like 2

If it's my post you're referring to I said if you are buy 1 why not buy 2. So by inference you already thought 1 was a good idea...which it is. You have to be interested already to even be in this thread so I think you should consider it as I think it's a damn cool project.

There was absoultely nothing wrong with your post and it was a perfectly good suggestion. I mean, I'm in for at least two and I would absoultely also suggest that anyone who has a high level of interest in ColecoVision, why not buy a second Phoenix?

I have said it before and I will say it again... I just do not understand the need for all the bickering and complaining in this thread. There have been perfectly good suggestions and valid comments, your post is a perfect example, and there literally was NO REASON for anyone to take issue with it or challenge that thought. NO REASON!

So many people seem to want this system to be something it is not, or want this thread to be the next drama party bickering gossip session and I'm sick of it. People who have openly said they aren't going to fund this project and people who are barely into the ColecoVision to begin with who rarely ever post to this forum are here to chime in with whatever "opinions" because they feel they are entitled to say whatever they want and god forbid anyone uses logic and reason in their responses to these fly-by-night posters you're met with even more drama and stupidity. This thread and this community simply do not need people who are just here for the bickering, the gossip, and the entitlement attitude. We've had enough over the past few years and we'd like this system to be something that helps grow the community and add more members to it.

tl;dr -

This is a ColecoVision compatible system. If you want it, please back it and show your support. If not quit your complaining and stop being like "Connie"....

Posting interest in something doesn't really mean anything. Saying your interested and actually putting up the money (ie. Kickstarter) are two very different things. A bunch of people could all come in here and post how interested they are. And CollectorVision could build that many units. And then when the time comes, they could be stuck if people don't follow through.

A similar thing is happening right now with the Jag Pro repro controllers. A bunch of people expressed interest, so he had a batch made up based off that list of interested people. But now that he has actually had them made and is taking payments, many of those people are not buying them:

I wouldn't presume to speak for others or regulate their behavior. And interest is everything. Or should I take the reverse point of view and restrict myself to kickstarter and have to drop all interest because I don't do kickstarter in the first place?

Can't fault a man for choosing one purchasing method over another - which is what this thread seems to do.

---

And not once have I complained about any of the features. I'm sure the designers know what they're doing. And if they don't, well.. any drastic faults will be revealed in unpaid/unbiased reviews.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

There are pros and cons of doing funding on Kickstarter. CollectorVision choose Kickstarter knowing some people would have problems with it, and not back it. People are entitled to not trust Kickstarter if they choose to not trust it.

I don't get people's problem with credit cards. How do you buy stuff online without a credit card?

I just find it funny how people act like KS is how the Flex Funding is on IGG. Backed 6 projects and ALL have went well. Got my items all on time minus one which was 3 months early.

Also never been hacked due to KS or any of the other places I buy from online. Have had a problem using a card at Target in store. I understand and don't disagree with minimizing risks with your credit card. But like my Target incident, the only way to do that is NOT use one and operate with cash. You swipe a card at target, walmart, gas station, you are at risk.

I am curious as to why they set their goal so high? To me about half of that would have made more sense. I wish I could back this but it is at least $50 over my budget. :(

I wouldn't presume to speak for others or regulate their behavior. And interest is everything. Or should I take the reverse point of view and restrict myself to kickstarter and have to drop all interest because I don't do kickstarter in the first place?

Can't fault a man for choosing one purchasing method over another - which is what this thread seems to do.

---

And not once have I complained about any of the features. I'm sure the designers know what they're doing. And if they don't, well.. any drastic faults will be revealed in unpaid/unbiased reviews.

I wasn't attacking or faulting you in how you choose to purchase things in any way. You just said that the dev should take your post as an indicator of interest that they would be guaranteed about 10 more units.

And I simply pointed out a real and recent related case where doing such a thing is leaving someone else sitting on a bunch of product that people said they were interested in, but now they aren't buying. So clearly interest is not everything when it comes to something like this.

Which is why I don't fault any dev who has to lay out a fair amount of money on a project for using KS and not just taking in account people saying they are interested. If the cash layout isn't that bad on a smaller project, then using a forum to judge interest for your inventory might be fine. But not a larger more expensive project like this.

• Like 1

Taking a look at the Kickstarter.....

There's about 340 people who backed it on KS, and about 40 out of Kickstarter

So there's still 400 people are interested in pre-ordering it!
Not counting people who doon't have a credit card, the money to put in it right now, or prefer to simply not use KS
Plus, those who would just wait till the console is ready to ship

I wasn't expecting to have 10 000 pre-orders in one day anyway, this is not a SNES or Genesis FPGA!
We already knew that since day 1

Am I disapointed of the KS results?
Nope, not at all!
It just proves us there's enough interests to make it happen!

PLAN B ACTIVATED! :)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 13

I just find it funny how people act like KS is how the Flex Funding is on IGG. Backed 6 projects and ALL have went well. Got my items all on time minus one which was 3 months early.

Also never been hacked due to KS or any of the other places I buy from online. Have had a problem using a card at Target in store. I understand and don't disagree with minimizing risks with your credit card. But like my Target incident, the only way to do that is NOT use one and operate with cash. You swipe a card at target, walmart, gas station, you are at risk.

I am curious as to why they set their goal so high? To me about half of that would have made more sense. I wish I could back this but it is at least $50 over my budget. :(

You kind of answered your own question. The reason why the early bird is $300 is because that it what it costs one at a time. They needed to mass produce 1000+ to get the price down to $200.If they could sell 10,000+ like the NES classic, it would be in your price range.

So, they could target 500, but then the price would be closer to $250.

• Like 1

It's looking like you are gonna end with about 50 percent of the goal reached. I really hope "Plan B" is going ahead with that number in mind so this thing get's past it's current "pre-orderable" stage and becomes a reality "on the shelf" ready for sale to any and all. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

There are only six days left. Even if this Kickstarter doesn't fund, it would still be great to show CollectorVision how much support there is for this project so they have a better idea of what to expect when "Plan B" starts up. Can we get this kicked up to 400 backers? Maybe 450? Please go support this project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 9.54.37 AM.png

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, as a backer, what is plan B?

Brian and J-F haven't announced anything yet re Plan B except that there is that option. Will probably have to wait til after the Kickstarter for any details.

Wish I would have won the lotto this past week, I would have funded the entire project!

• Like 1

Today I not only play some of my favorite ColecoVision games on the CollectorVision Phoenix, but I use a NES style control pad modded for the ColecoVision by Retro Game Boyz! The controller works VERY well! This was a good purchase!

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

RetroGameBoyz eBay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/retrogameboyzand Twitter: https://twitter.com/retrogameboyz