IGNORED

PlayStation 2 (Phat Model) Disc Read Errors

F4LL3N

Good afternoon all,

I have just picked up an old Phat PS2 PAL model. I am getting disc read errors on PS2 games, PS1 games and audio discs. I did briefly manage to get a PS2 game to load, but it eventually locked up on the title screen when left alone.

I know the discs are all fine because I play them on another console that I have. I was just wondering what could be the cause of this and if its not too expensive I may attempt to repair/replace myself.

Many thanks for your help!

Theres a temporary fix published in an old GamePro, involving removing the case & adjusting a small white toothed dial.

I have a Launch Day phatty still going strong; at one point yrs ago Sony agreed to accept & fix these PS2s as they all started getting Disc Read Errors around the same time.

3:10 into the video

Edited by RJ

Theres a temporary fix published in an old GamePro, involving removing the case & adjusting a small white toothed dial.

I have a Launch Day phatty still going strong; at one point yrs ago Sony agreed to accept & fix these PS2s as they all started getting Disc Read Errors around the same time.

Thats very helpful. Do you have any idea of what it looks like or how it should be adjusted? I was going to try a lens cleaner first, but I am guessing you feel this wouldn't do very much?

Watch the video, he highlights each part he talks about. It's a small white disc about the size of a U.S. dime, which I'm not sure you're familiar with since you said "good afternoon all" & it's 8:30am where I am.

When this happened to me years ago, I dont recall cleaning the lens, although he says in the video that may be all you need to do. Adjusting the white wheel is sort of a last resort.

Edited by RJ

Also type "PS2 disc read error fix" into Google (which you probably should have already done) for what appears to be several sources for solutions.

Thank you for all your help. I will go through that video and check out what he says. And yes you are right, I am in the UK! But I do know what a dime is :) appreciate the replies and video.

Try holding down the lid close switch and looking at the movement of the disc mechanism with the lid open, the optical unit should move back and forth and lens up and down as it tries to find and focus on the disk.

My slim mode has trouble moving the optical unit back and forth when I have not played it for a while, a little manual movement just to the free the mechanism usually sort it.

• Like 1

Try holding down the lid close switch and looking at the movement of the disc mechanism with the lid open, the optical unit should move back and forth and lens up and down as it tries to find and focus on the disk.

My slim mode has trouble moving the optical unit back and forth when I have not played it for a while, a little manual movement just to the free the mechanism usually sort it.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help, although this is not the slim version its the original.

All the best

• 5 weeks later...