IGNORED

Change of heart: games you didn't like before that are now good

Something happened that inspired this topic:

Were there any 3DO games you couldn't play before that you now enjoy?

I was never into Slayer. Not a D&D kinda guy, but I do like RPGs in general. I always lauded playing this one.

I bought it for the sake of collecting and my first few recent attempts at playing it always left me sorta disappointed. I died a lot and never really knew what I was doing or where I was going. The only good thing I could say about it was that it moved like an FPS at least, and not like some screen-by-screen nightmare (Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, that sort of thing).

That's until yesterday. I caught a cool gameplay video on YT that showed me a couple things I hadn't considered and I ended up playing for 1+ hours last night and I have the itch to get back home and play it again asap.

Here's some pro-noob advice:

• DO NOT create a character, unless you're knowledgeable about AD&D.
  • DO pick a melee class, unless you're knowledgeable about AD&D (with a mage you'll be running away a lot, until you pick up items that help killing baddies)
  • DO use the items you find. Inventory is limited so it's better to use the potions and scrolls as you go than to hoard everything and die with your backpack full.
  • DO hit Select to bring up your map, you'll see the full layout of the floor you're on
  • DO NOT apprehend dying. If it happens, you can re-start with the same items in your inventory and equipment (i think), sort of like New Game+, so you get a proper second chance at finishing that floor you died on.

Seriously, choosing a pre-rolled character will guarantee that you will have the required HP to tank hits, the required STR to wield weapons, the required stats to equip armor, etc.

The full map also auto-fills as you explore, so it's easy to tell where you have and haven't been, making navigating through the randomly generated mazes much more statisfying. Also, most walls and corridors look similar so the map is a great help there, too.

tl;dr choosing to play as a pre-built Fighter and using the map make this game MUCH more enjoyable for me.

piXXzMA.png

The Need for Speed is probably the biggest one for me. It just never "clicked" with me until earlier in the year. Now it's one of my favorites on the system.

Slayer is one I didn't like way back when, but I put some more time into it recently and it made a lot more sense to me. I could see myself going back to it again when the time permits.

• Like 1

When it first came out, I thought Twisted was the most ridiculous game on the system. I couldn't make it through an entire game without cutting it off. Several years later, a friend and I played it together. It created instant laughs and fun gameplay between us. I've loved the game ever since. That was back in '96 or so. Still love Twisted. Just played it with my son and with my wife for the first time. My son enjoyed it a lot. My wife? Well, she's where I was at 25 years ago with it. It's an acquired taste, but it gets more charming once you play it with another human being instead of against the computer.

Strangely, I had this same experience with the movie Dumb & Dumber. I walked out of the theater mid-movie the first time I saw it. Later, on home video, I thought it was hilarious. I still make "the most annoying sound in the world" at my wife from time to time. I'm pretty good at it.

• Like 1

The Need for Speed is probably the biggest one for me. It just never "clicked" with me until earlier in the year. Now it's one of my favorites on the system.

Slayer is one I didn't like way back when, but I put some more time into it recently and it made a lot more sense to me. I could see myself going back to it again when the time permits.

NFS. Really. Maybe I can give it a shot and see if our experiences line up. I can't see it becoming my favorite on the system since I already play my 3DO a lot, but who knows? Maybe it won't be the snooze fest I remember it being. Also I know we agree on Blade Force...maybe that's another one I could get back into and have a better time? I keep wondering if sticking with it for more than a couple levels might do it.

When it first came out, I thought Twisted was the most ridiculous game on the system. I couldn't make it through an entire game without cutting it off. Several years later, a friend and I played it together. It created instant laughs and fun gameplay between us. I've loved the game ever since. That was back in '96 or so. Still love Twisted. Just played it with my son and with my wife for the first time. My son enjoyed it a lot. My wife? Well, she's where I was at 25 years ago with it. It's an acquired taste, but it gets more charming once you play it with another human being instead of against the computer.

Strangely, I had this same experience with the movie Dumb & Dumber. I walked out of the theater mid-movie the first time I saw it. Later, on home video, I thought it was hilarious. I still make "the most annoying sound in the world" at my wife from time to time. I'm pretty good at it.

Party games are typically enjoyed best with fellow humans. Even modern ones like Mario Party are better kept for when you have people over. One thing tho : Dumb & Dumber was always brilliant.

Edited by Montrealer