IGNORED

Cant get 3.5" floppy to work

videofx

Is there a special drive thats works? I have a cable thats configured for drive 3. Do you change the drive select on the 3.5" drive? I am using Corcomp controller, I go into DM2, initialize the disk, the drive light comes on and it starts to initialize then I get ERROR 16

I removed the term resistor from drive 1

The drive works perfect in my PC

Thanks

cable should be straight through, drive select needs to be set on the drive.. unless you have configured the cable specifically for the ti controller..the pc version doesnt work

correct the cable is twisted for drive 3. What do I set the drive select to on the floppy?

The best to get is a 720k drive.. the 1.44 drives tend to be designed for the PC in mind without drive select or ready signal jumpers.. they figured why bother if its just going in a peeceee

sony, alps and toshiba drives tend to be better made.. but ymmv I have 3.5" drives on my 4/a and Geneve that are 1.44 drives and they work pretty well.. I have no idea what make/model they are I just grabbed drives that had disk select jumpers and called it good.

The geneve has a hfdc which is the only controller that does HD as stated before

The best to get is a 720k drive.. the 1.44 drives tend to be designed for the PC in mind without drive select or ready signal jumpers.. they figured why bother if its just going in a peeceee

sony, alps and toshiba drives tend to be better made.. but ymmv I have 3.5" drives on my 4/a and Geneve that are 1.44 drives and they work pretty well.. I have no idea what make/model they are I just grabbed drives that had disk select jumpers and called it good.

The geneve has a hfdc which is the only controller that does HD as stated before

If anyone has any 3.5 " drives for sale that work please let me know or if you have model numbers that work thats good too!

Thanks

If anyone has any 3.5 " drives for sale that work please let me know or if you have model numbers that work thats good too!

Thanks

I have had good luck with Alps 1.44mb drives and decent luck with Bytecc (i think that's what they were). i just have to place a piece of tape over the HD hole in order to get a good format of 720k of course with my Myarc 80 track FDC and they work great with my 838 Drive select boards..

HERE

I have had good luck with Alps 1.44mb drives and decent luck with Bytecc (i think that's what they were). i just have to place a piece of tape over the HD hole in order to get a good format of 720k of course with my Myarc 80 track FDC and they work great with my 838 Drive select boards..

HERE

How do you set the drive select if there even is one on the drive when using the 838 drive select board

HERE

How do you set the drive select if there even is one on the drive when using the 838 drive select board

The 3.5" drive is presumed set to drive #2 (for the PC world) and the 838 board’s dip switch allows switching the line for drive #2 to whatever drive # you want the controller to see, obviating the necessity of manhandling the ribbon cable to make twists, etc.

...lee

The 3.5" drive is presumed set to drive #2 (for the PC world) and the 838 board’s dip switch allows switching the line for drive #2 to whatever drive # you want the controller to see, obviating the necessity of manhandling the ribbon cable to make twists, etc.

...lee

Thanks Lee

• 1 year later...

I cannot get the 3.5" disk drive(s) to work:

Geneve + Corcomp DS/DD diskcontroller:

* 1x 5.25" disk drive works fine (can load everything)

* 1x 3.5" disk drive with @Shift838  switch set to DSK2.

* and later I also added another 3.5" disk drive as DSK3. (with separate powersupply)

(this drive works fine with my normal TI-99 setup (and Corcomp controller) and it

can read the disks, but not with the Geneve setup somehow).

When I use DIR DSK2.  or DIR B:

or DIR DSK3. or DIR ?

I do see the lights go on for each drive when trying, but I get a device error

Is there something that need to be changed in configurations or settings somewhere?

do I need to assign letters (ASSIGN B=DSK2.) or some configuration in CYA (I see for HFDC that

settings can be done for diskdrives, like read speed in milliseconds - ms)

(or do Chips/EPROMS have to be changed on the Corcomp Disk Controller to work with Geneve?)

22 hours ago, globeron said:

I cannot get the 3.5" disk drive(s) to work:

Geneve + Corcomp DS/DD diskcontroller:

* 1x 5.25" disk drive works fine (can load everything)

* 1x 3.5" disk drive with @Shift838  switch set to DSK2.

* and later I also added another 3.5" disk drive as DSK3. (with separate powersupply)

(this drive works fine with my normal TI-99 setup (and Corcomp controller) and it

can read the disks, but not with the Geneve setup somehow).

When I use DIR DSK2.  or DIR B:

or DIR DSK3. or DIR ?

I do see the lights go on for each drive when trying, but I get a device error

Is there something that need to be changed in configurations or settings somewhere?

do I need to assign letters (ASSIGN B=DSK2.) or some configuration in CYA (I see for HFDC that

settings can be done for diskdrives, like read speed in milliseconds - ms)

(or do Chips/EPROMS have to be changed on the Corcomp Disk Controller to work with Geneve?)

After troubleshooting it is working now.

+ mounted the drive selector wrong on the 3.5 drive (strange as it looked it was working)

+ changed the ribbon cable, looks like it is broken

- however i tried to use a 3rd diskdrive (with external power supply) but does not work. Changed the jumper to "2" = DSK3.  It starts the drive but does not read the disk. But okay i have my system now with Horizon, corcomp ds/dd with 5.25 and 3.5 disk drives.

• Like 3