IGNORED

Animal Keeper first look, final game version.

peteym5

https://youtu.be/fvvwqJzceK4

Animal Keeper complete game video. This is what I hope will be the final version of the game. I am going on to work on different projects and take care of some issues in my personal life. New features added to the final version include bonus round every 5 levels. Different Animal Cage Colors and Graphics. Enhanced Music. On Title screen, selection of starting level, plus some additional texts.

I may do a few quick tweaks before the games goes up for sale on cartridge, but will not do anything that will require extensive redrawing or reprogramming.

If you were watching the Work-in-Progress videos, you would had seen that the graphics were redone several times for the Atari 8-bit computer until I got something that looked great, unique that I call my own, and give it a great modern game play experience on the Atari 8-bit computer.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 8

Pete - looking better. I noticed something in the video that I hope you can explain. around 2:15 the player is capturing animals still inside the bricks - they are clearly behind atleast 1 row of bricks but as the player moves around he is credited with points and the animal disappears. Is that normal behavior?

• Like 2

Pete - looking better. I noticed something in the video that I hope you can explain. around 2:15 the player is capturing animals still inside the bricks - they are clearly behind atleast 1 row of bricks but as the player moves around he is credited with points and the animal disappears. Is that normal behavior?

If the animal is caught inside the brick wall as it is being made, you are awarded some points and the animal is knocked back to the middle of the screen. That is normal for the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a report from the testers that the game checks out without any glitches, It has been tested on real 800XL and 130XL. Emulated tested on 400/800, 600XL (16K) 1200XL with 1200XL OS, and XEGS. Both PAL and NTSC. Does not look for VBXE, 2nd POKEY, or extended RAM. Uses the Joystick in port 1. Uses standard 6502 assembly code. Keyboard is standard for pause, Start, Select, and Option send back to the title splash screen. Select and Option change some of the game parameters. Atari 5200 port is also complete and runs perfect.

No release has been set, the original target was Winter 2019 to give some time for testing and time to report back. Also need time to design printed labels and write up the manual. Standard 16K Cartridge as usual is priced at U.S. $39.95, free shipping domestic.

It could be bumped back as early as December of this year. We also had been busy releasing many of my previous games on the Atari 5200. I am working on porting some games to the 7800 as well, starting with Venture, possibly with some new game options.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

https://peters-atari-games.000webhostapp.com/

Here is an update for my page. I am including ordering information for my games. (Phone order # is at the bottom of page). My Page only provides information for the games that I developed. For all other classic games and products, you will need to check with Video 61 or check with the AtariSales website.

The latest on Animal Keeper is that we looking into releasing the game earlier in time for the 2018 Holiday season because beta testing went much better than I expected. I spent time making sure the game works, does not show any problems before I produce YouTube videos to reduce the amount of complaining. I will be making an announcement when more is known.

Edited by peteym5

• 1 month later...

Update on what is going on. The cartridge release of the game has been delayed due to a busier than usual holiday season. I took advantage of the delay and did a small update. Looks like a release in the first quarter of 2019. As usual, cartridge will be coming in a plastic clamshell, nicely labeled, laminated instruction sheet and comic sheet.

The game will have two options of play. Default is you need to jump on animals, trap in bricks, or be in netting mode to score points and they get knocked back to the middle so you can enclose them. The 2nd option you simply jump over the animals for points, and use netting mode to knock them back to middle, animals cannot be trapped in bricks. Points are still collected at the end of each level if the animal is not along the outside of the cage. The main goal of both games is to keep the animals in the middle and avoid running into them.

• Like 1

Sounds like TIA to me. Not even close to the original Zoo Keeper.

I did not make Zoo Keeper, I made Animal Keeper. If someone wants to make their own Zoo Keeper and make things exactly like the arcade and sell it, go right ahead. If a law firm representing Taito contacts you, it is not my problem. Taito still exists and is an active company.

Animal Keeper is using 4 channel sound, the TIA is unable to play as many sounds at once and play as good of sound effects and music..I am doing better on my own after KJMANN got pissed off with this forum and left.

Animal Keeper is complete and will be sold on cartridge only, around $40 to $45 USD. Release date pending.

I said it SOUNDS like (2600) TIA....not that it IS (G)TIA sound....

Strange that you don't have those issues with Tempest....

Once again, too much money for such a game. Not buying.

5 or 10 bucks for online version ? Yep.

45 plus shipping to Europe (20 bucks) Nope.

• Like 1

..I am doing better on my own after KJMANN got pissed off with this forum and left.

You say this and have done before like he was driven out of here when the truth is he was disliked by many for his awful attitude and behaviour....TBH, he should have been banned..

Why you chose to mention him in the middle of promoting a nice game defies reason...You can discuss sound without mentioning him you know..

• Like 3

You say this and have done before like he was driven out of here when the truth is he was disliked by many for his awful attitude and behaviour....TBH, he should have been banned..

Why you chose to mention him in the middle of promoting a nice game defies reason...You can discuss sound without mentioning him you know..

You guys were lucky in just reading his harsh texts in his replies. We had to deal with him by email and on the phone. He called me up like around 2am, U.S. eastern time, (in the morning on my part of this planet), several times, complaining about something I said or doing. Dealing with his attitude and behavior, hearing it direct. Paul Westphal and few other had to deal with him in person, I heard stories. I had to go to work later that morning and needed some sleep. He had a big chip on his shoulder and in the end he attempted to screw over Video61, and that ended our partnership.

Edited by peteym5

Look Pete, I'm really sorry to hear but sometimes we think we know people and they are actually a real idiot in truth, best to move on and forget the loser...

Easier said than done but if you don't it WILL consume you and then he's won...

If we let idiots like him win then we may as well give up...

You saw his true colours, time to take the rewards where they are deserved, in your pocket...Zero hassle....

• Like 1

Look Pete, I'm really sorry to hear but sometimes we think we know people and they are actually a real idiot in truth, best to move on and forget the loser...

Easier said than done but if you don't it WILL consume you and then he's won...

If we let idiots like him win then we may as well give up...

You saw his true colours, time to take the rewards where they are deserved, in your pocket...Zero hassle....

When I first came to AtariAge in 2006, I did not know Sal. I was looking into the VBXE thing and wanted to do a simple game. Partially written in TurboBasic with ML calls. I was not looking for profit. Then comes this Sal guy, first wanting to do a game called Battle Squadran, then Tempest. At first it seems like everyone got along with Sal, willing to provide us with programming tips, code, to make things work. I was having more fun with the Commodore 64 vs Atari thread, willing to make some games that will show them what Atari does what Commodon't. Even during Venture development, I know releasing and selling this game for $50 would throw fuel onto a flaming war on here. Sal wanted his Music, using RMT, and sprites using the player + missile 10 bit wide thing, making it impossible to fit that into 16K without compression. I did not want to use Inflate because I believe the routine would had taking up just as much space on a cart than what would had been saved. But I seen the slow sales in the first few months and gave this Inflate/Deflate thing a try. managed to fit it with just some minor optimizations.

Sal wanted to hold up the release until the Portland Expo so he can make himself look good. I wanted to replace the $50 Williams version ASAP. I even looked at doing a bunch of games in that fashion, but Sal objected. He was having health issues. He tried to shut down some new games that I am working on and fought Video 61 to put a stop my new games. What ousted him was when Video 61 and myself decided to release some games without him, Atlantis Games Group and Sal got removed from the credits of Secretum Labyrinth and Delta Space Arena. I cannot disclose what else has been going on because of certain legal issues also going on.

All I can say now sales still going strong on 16K game titles released since then. We could not get Animal Keeper all together in time for a Christmas release because being swamped with orders for December.

All I can say is it sounds like you have lost a burden and gained your total freedom...

Now that's worth celebrating..

Glad to hear the sales are going well..

Its all good...and I hope any thing legal is sorted out in your favour..

Have a great Xmas / Holiday and an even better new year!

Paul..

• Like 2

Sorry, that is now how we do business. Have a Merry Christmas.

Couldn't this game also be sold on Floppy Disk for $25, $20 maybe? Lighter packaging would also cut the shipping costs down. Is the game small enough to fit into the lower 64K RAM?

• 1 year later...

I am just saying, all the politics, hurt feelings, whatever aside....this is one great cart game.  My grandson is on level 131, about to break 1 Million points.  I got this game by mistake from Video 61.  He was going to replace it for for the game I did order.  Long story short, it gets a ton of play time.  Very additive.  My fav right now as a matter of fact.  Get it, it is worth every penny.

• Like 3