IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

11 minutes ago, ave1 said:

Okay, today at the thrift store I found an original Sega Genesis 1st party 3 button gamepad that's the same model as my original one. I bought it and just now hooked it up to my ikonsgr adapter connected to my 5200.  It works very well. No fire button issues like my other one was having. I guess my other one was short-circuiting or something.  

Glad that I can now say that all Genesis controllers are compatible with the new adapter- it's very good news! 

I have 2 third party quickshot genesis 3 button units.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ikonsgr said:

I just upload an ebay listing for the adapter, so now it will be easier to find it (price is a bit higher due to extra ebay+paypal fees).

Of course, you can also contact and order one directly from here.

This is a bit off-topic, but I was using your "Amiga Atari ST Mouse Adapter For Amstrad Commodore MSX 9pin" (with second USB to Atari mouse adapter and mouse) with "Amstrad CPC MSX 5V Adapter for AutoFire 15Pin Joystick USB Mouse Playstation pad" on a ColecoVision to use a mouse in joystick mode (ColecoVision has no Vcc, like the Amstrad) and it seemed to burn out the 74LS367 bus chip on the two Amstrad 5V adapters I had bought because the mouse would intermittently stop working. I saw the max current for the chip is 24mA on a datasheet. I tested the setup with the 5200 adapter setup (5V adapter not needed) and it worked fine so it seems the 5V adapter chip was probably not meant for the 100+ mA of current.

I am wondering if there is a more rugged chip to use than the 74LS367 for something I make myself that can handle 180mA?

The 24mA you mention is the maximum current for the various joy signals, these have nothning to do with the power consumption of any device you plug into the adapter. Power supply for the devices is given directly from the 5v power connector. But it's true that the 74ls367 chips are rather sensitive (static electricity, over voltage etc) and tend to be burned out more easily.

58 minutes ago, ikonsgr said:

The 24mA you mention is the maximum current for the various joy signals, these have nothning to do with the power consumption of any device you plug into the adapter. Power supply for the devices is given directly from the 5v power connector. But it's true that the 74ls367 chips are rather sensitive (static electricity, over voltage etc) and tend to be burned out more easily.

Okay. I'm going to try one of these an wire the power through a DB9 breakout.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Datashield-Protector-DB9/dp/B00006B81G

I don’t want to be presumptuous on Ikonsgr or bohoki, but if bohoki doesn’t mind letting someone else make the Gameport to 5200 adapters, the bohoki is really the 5200 to 9 pin adapter ikonsgr is now making with 90% of the electronics removed and a DB15 connector in place of the DB9. Biggest obstacle is it cannot use the same “breadboard”. I believe bohoki said he kind of dislikes making them. 

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I don’t want to be presumptuous on Ikonsgr or bohoki, but if bohoki doesn’t mind letting someone else make the Gameport to 5200 adapters, the bohoki is really the 5200 to 9 pin adapter ikonsgr is now making with 90% of the electronics removed and a DB15 connector in place of the DB9. Biggest obstacle is it cannot use the same “breadboard”. I believe bohoki said he kind of dislikes making them. 

Somebody did make one.

3 hours ago, Swami said:

Adapters like bohoki has made are not new to his version. They have been made by many different folks over the years. Nothing new under the sun and all that.

i hope someone would make the pc to 5200 adapter i dont hate making them its just so tiring stripping all those wires each unit i have to strip 32 times and that is not counting the 4 cable shell strips

i have no say on what people make i basically just use the 5200 faq schematic with a couple little tweaks aka the start button and grounding gamepad pins  both 4 and 5

and i was selling them for like $10 i had to raise prices due to shipping costs it costs $2.68 first class a dollar store padded envelope is like 25 cents the 3 plugs are like 50 cents each and the capacitors are like 15 cents

Edited by bohoki

3 hours ago, bohoki said:

i hope someone would make the pc to 5200 adapter i dont hate making them its just so tiring stripping all those wires each unit i have to strip 32 times and that is not counting the 4 cable shell strips

i have no say on what people make i basically just use the 5200 faq schematic with a couple little tweaks aka the start button and grounding gamepad pins  both 4 and 5

and i was selling them for like $10 i had to raise prices due to shipping costs it costs $2.68 first class a dollar store padded envelope is like 25 cents the 3 plugs are like 50 cents each and the capacitors are like 15 cents

And in doing that you have provided a great service and means for others who can't do such on their own to have such an adapter. I say you have done a solid for all of those who have got one (or more) of these from you.

4 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

The masterplay dogbone thing looks nice.  But I found another solution.

I could not care less what you do.

EDIT: This thread is about the masterplay clone not your 10 feet of random adapters.

You have your own thread for that, I don't need a link to it nor does anyone else.

I am using a masterly clone.  There is no other way.  Just not ruining a good nes dogbone just get it to fit my masterplay clone.  I am using an original unmodified nes controller (or dogbone will work) instead of hacking a good nes controller.  You are plugging in a modified nes dogbone into your masterplay clone.  I am just plugging something else into my masterplay clone.  Its still masterplay clone based just as yours.  Just different things plugged in to the DB-9 end.

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

I am using a masterly clone.  There is no other way.  Just not ruining a good nes dogbone just get it to fit my masterplay clone.  I am using an original unmodified nes controller (or dogbone will work) instead of hacking a good nes controller.  You are plugging in a modified nes dogbone into your masterplay clone.  I am just plugging something else into my masterplay clone.  Its still masterplay clone based just as yours.  Just different things plugged in to the DB-9 end.

While my post was about putting a keypad on the masterplay clone and nothing to do with the controller attached to it,

3rd party dogbone controllers are worth a whole 5 bucks. You are using a ton of other adapters including a wii controller and whatever else you have in that rats nest mess on your floor. Again, just cause you don't know how to build your own stuff doesn't mean you can marginalize the work of others, as you have done yet again, like you did in the paddle thread. "But" you have at it. Enjoy whatever the hell it is you are up to and just ignore anything and everything I say or do on this forum, please.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:27 PM, Swami said:

I think there is some misunderstanding about the subject, so let me straight some things up:

- Bohoki's adapter, is for connecting 15Pin analogue PC joysticks/gamepads, and practically except of the two 0.22uF capacitors needed, it's a simple rewiring of signals, with no need for any extra electronics (although rather tiresome to make without using a pcb board, as bohoki explained before, btw @bohoki,i really admire your patience and skill to make such an adapter with so many wires that need to be soldered! :-)  )

- My adapter, is for connecting 9pin Atari 2600 compatible joysticks/gamepads, practically any joy/gamepad designed for Amiga, Atari ST, C64, Amstrad CPC and of course all Atari 8bit computers (except 7800). Unfortunately in order to do that, extra electronic circuit is needed, which will convert the digital on/off signals from 9pin joysticks, to appropriate analogue signals (along with the 0.22uF capapacitors) for Atari 5200 joy ports.

Now, as you might already know, connecting a 9pin joystick to Atari 5200 could be done before, by combining bohoki's adapter and some other adapter i also designed (it converted 9pin joystick signals to 15pin PC gameport singnals). So practically what we have done with the new adapter, is to "merge" these 2 adapters into one adapter, offering a rather neater and cheaper solution (which also is "one person" dependant,e.g. now that bohoki stopped making his adapter, you can't use the previous "2 adapter solution" any more...)!