IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, Shawn said:

If you feel like getting fancy with ikonsgr's pcb you can do some neat stuff like this:

DSCF9914.JPG.1d8686a0f7ee383dde9f19a3ede55dae.JPG

DSCF9913.JPG.0f0ea754e157592a88f169a7d45c3887.JPG

I've got a few more things to button down but you get the idea.

That's AMAZING! Exceptional usage of my adaper my firend, i really enjoy such projects, it's really people like you that help retro communities stay alive and kicking! ;-)

• Thanks 1

Btw, after seeing the presentation of the adapter at wired-up retro, and the use of  C64 mouse or trackballs to play games on Atari 5200, i thought you might be interested in some other adapters that combined with the Atari 5200 9pin adapter can offer extra connection solutions to your Atari 5200:

This adapter i just made available, allows you to connect a usb(ps2 cmpatible)  mouse to your Atari 5200!

- This adapter allows you to connect an amiga/atari st mouse!

- Finally, this adapter is a wireless Bluetooth 9pin port, especially usefull in large living rooms! ;-) 

Edited by ikonsgr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ikonsgr said:

I think there is some misunderstanding about the subject, so let me straight some things up:

- Bohoki's adapter, is for connecting 15Pin analogue PC joysticks/gamepads, and practically except of the two 0.22uF capacitors needed, it's a simple rewiring of signals, with no need for any extra electronics (although rather tiresome to make without using a pcb board, as bohoki explained before, btw @bohoki,i really admire your patience and skill to make such an adapter with so many wires that need to be soldered! ? )

- My adapter, is for connecting 9pin Atari 2600 compatible joysticks/gamepads, practically any joy/gamepad designed for Amiga, Atari ST, C64, Amstrad CPC and of course all Atari 8bit computers (except 7800). Unfortunately in order to do that, extra electronic circuit is needed, which will convert the digital on/off signals from 9pin joysticks, to appropriate analogue signals (along with the 0.22uF capapacitors) for Atari 5200 joy ports.

Now, as you might already know, connecting a 9pin joystick to Atari 5200 could be done before, by combining bohoki's adapter and some other adapter i also designed (it converted 9pin joystick signals to 15pin PC gameport singnals). So practically what we have done with the new adapter, is to "merge" these 2 adapters into one adapter, offering a rather neater and cheaper solution (which also is "one person" dependant,e.g. now that bohoki stopped making his adapter, you can't use the previous "2 adapter solution" any more...)!

I was saying you may be interested in making the simpler adapter for connecting the 15Pin analogue PC joysticks/gamepads in addition to the one for 9pin Atari 2600 compatible joystick/gamepads.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,i've just finished the bohoki adapter "clone on a pcb":

atari5200_15pin_15pin.thumb.jpg.58123d091996801ed697f7db563795ba.jpg

It's ~half the size of the atari 2600 adapter (~27mmX27mm). This should be much easier to make, as all required connections are on the pcb, and you only need to solder the two 15pin D female connectors and a couple of 220nF caps. I also kept the start button, and ofcourse the keypad connector, exactly like with the Atari 2600 adapter. 

The board is curently UNTESTED (i might order a few boards in the furure), so if anyone wants to try and make one by himself, here is the gerberfiles for the pcb:

Atari5200_15pin_to_15pin.zip

Btw,i don't know if this should be placed in a separate topic named "bohoki's adapter on a pcb"...

• Like 3

I just got the adapter today and I cannot get it fully operational for the following reasons:

1. The 5200 controller does not plug into the male 15-pin connector on the adapter. The bumps on the top and bottom of the controller plug prevent this from happening. I would prefer not to have to modify my 5200 controllers by filing them down, if possible.
  2. The female end of the adapter does not stay in the port. I have a 4-port 5200.

Has anybody else had these issues and, if so, do you have any suggestions on how I can rectify them?

Thanks!

Edited by bikeguychicago

I use 15 pin extension cables on my 4-port Atari 5200 (and Neo Geo CD) so that the adapters are closer to me when I'm sitting on the couch.  It puts less stress on the port of the console and I can press the start/reset button without getting up each time. As far as the plug goes, some have suggested to slightly bend the bumps of the plug out with some needle nose pliers. You shouldn't have to do it that much, just be careful not to bend the pins.   Hope that helps.

Edited by K-Rod 13
word addition

1 hour ago, bikeguychicago said:

I just got the adapter today and I cannot get it fully operational for the following reasons:

1. The 5200 controller does not plug into the male 15-pin connector on the adapter. The bumps on the top and bottom of the controller plug prevent this from happening. I would prefer not to have to modify my 5200 controllers by filing them down, if possible.
  2. The female end of the adapter does not stay in the port. I have a 4-port 5200.

Has anybody else had these issues and, if so, do you have any suggestions on how I can rectify them?

Thanks!

Check this:

Also, if you have problems pluging to Atari 5200 ports, you can use cable extensions

i bought  2 adapters and  it was great to play space dungeon with 2 quick shot 9 pin controllers with autofire,It was awesome.I was also able to play defender with a sega fightstick and it was GREAT.This ikonsgr controller interface has made the atari 5200 a great system.He sells these quality adapters at a price thats so inexpensive compared to trying to build one yourself.ITS great to receive a quality product and not some chinese junk ,Makes me wonder if everything  manufactured in GREECE is top notch.BUY some while you can if you can.Its plug and play and hopefully he will continue to make them and the atari 5200 community can grow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Melnyk said:

i bought  2 adapters and  it was great to play space dungeon with 2 quick shot 9 pin controllers with autofire,It was awesome.I was also able to play defender with a sega fightstick and it was GREAT.This ikonsgr controller interface has made the atari 5200 a great system.He sells these quality adapters at a price thats so inexpensive compared to trying to build one yourself.ITS great to receive a quality product and not some chinese junk ,Makes me wonder if everything  manufactured in GREECE is top notch.BUY some while you can if you can.Its plug and play and hopefully he will continue to make them and the atari 5200 community can grow

Which adapters did you buy?

@Alex Melnyk , thanks for your kind words and i'm really glad you enjoy the adapters so much!
Now, because i received too many orders in the last few weeks, i've run out of some parts and pcbs, so currently the adapter is unvailable. I might have some in a couple of weeks, but for the most part, it will be available in ~month or so.

Edited by ikonsgr

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 6:33 AM, ikonsgr said:

Ok,i've just finished the bohoki adapter "clone on a pcb":

atari5200_15pin_15pin.thumb.jpg.58123d091996801ed697f7db563795ba.jpg

It's ~half the size of the atari 2600 adapter (~27mmX27mm). This should be much easier to make, as all required connections are on the pcb, and you only need to solder the two 15pin D female connectors and a couple of 220nF caps. I also kept the start button, and ofcourse the keypad connector, exactly like with the Atari 2600 adapter. 

The board is curently UNTESTED (i might order a few boards in the furure), so if anyone wants to try and make one by himself, here is the gerberfiles for the pcb:

Atari5200_15pin_to_15pin.zip 9.15 kB · 4 downloads

Btw,i don't know if this should be placed in a separate topic named "bohoki's adapter on a pcb"...

Just let me know when this one is ready to ship for testing. I definitely would be interested in trying it out :)

I've already order some pcb's but with all the fuss about china virus, i don't expect to get them soon. In any case, i'll let you know when i have one ready.

Btw, ave1, after all the presentations you already made, the one about the usb mouse adapter you prepare, and probably the "bohoki on pcb" in the near future, maybe i should declare you "official tester" for my adapters! ?

And now i'm thinking of this, i've made these adapters for Atari 5200 (master play clone, bohoki adapter clone, usb mouse adapter...), without ever having an Atari 5200!

But fortunately ,"outsourcing"  testing & help to atari age members from U.S. made them available for everyone! 

This is the magic and power of retro-communities! ?

Edited by ikonsgr

On 2/15/2020 at 6:15 AM, ikonsgr said:

And now i'm thinking of this, i've made these adapters for Atari 5200 (master play clone, bohoki adapter clone, usb mouse adapter...), without ever having an Atari 5200!

I am working under the same condition on a couple of 5200 controller adapter projects and that is why I have created the 5200 controller port emulator.

It provides potentiometer, button and keypad data over a serial connection and can even perform trackball/joystick detection.

IMG_20200222_224007533_1.jpg

screenCaptureTerminal2.png

Edited by Danjovic
added image

9 hours ago, Danjovic said:

I am working under the same condition on a couple of 5200 controller adapter projects and that is why I have created the 5200 controller port emulator.

It provides potentiometer, button and keypad data over a serial connection and can even perform trackball/joystick detection.

IMG_20200222_224007533_1.jpg

screenCaptureTerminal2.png

Nice.  But what is at the other end of the board opposite the 15 pin connector?  A little hard to see.  Is that usb?