IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

On 2/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, Danjovic said:

I am working under the same condition on a couple of 5200 controller adapter projects and that is why I have created the 5200 controller port emulator.

It provides potentiometer, button and keypad data over a serial connection and can even perform trackball/joystick detection.

IMG_20200222_224007533_1.jpg

screenCaptureTerminal2.png

Very nice project, but i think it's a bit "over kill", to build such a complicated circuit just to test atari 5200 game port! :-) Personally i took a much simpler and easier aproach. I made a plain 15pin D to 15pin D adapter that directs the pinout of the atari 5200 signals (from the adapter) to the pinout of the pc 15pin signals. That way,i can directly test each board i make, using a 15pin gameport to usb adapter through the game controller properties from windows control panel! You can directly test movement and fire buttons, as for the extra 15pin D connector for the keypad,i only test continuity of the extra ribon cable with the male 15pin D connector attached, to ensure that works ok. So far,i've made and sold more than 50 boards and all seem to work ok, so i suppose this method is quite good for..."quality control" too! ;-)

Still, your circuit remains a very nice project! ;-)

Edited by ikonsgr

3 hours ago, ikonsgr said:

Personally i took a much simpler and easier aproach. I made a plain 15pin D to 15pin D adapter that directs the pinout of the atari 5200 signals (from the adapter) to the pinout of the pc 15pin signals.

Indeed!  Your approach is way more easier and yet very effective. Very clever!

I have a couple of projects related to 5200 controller that I want to finish and I hope that the extra complexity pays off, specially to investigate two methods to provide analog axis information. 

btw, thanks for the appreciation to my circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, i've managed to have available a few more adapters, main supply will be restored by the end of month/early next month.

That,IF by then, they will not close all public services including post offices or your president forbids EVERYTHING comes from Europe (really,they strating to act as if the BLACK DEATH is uppon us, planetary scale social engineering "exercises" or "flase flag" operation in order to sell a few BILLIONS vaccines? ...) :-)

Edited by ikonsgr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got my Atari 5200 to 9-pin DB9 adapter from ikonsgr yesterday.  Wow.  I've never used a Masterplay or Competition Pro, but being able to use a Genesis pad, (I used the 6 button pad), instead of the stock 5200 stick was so much better.  What a difference playing HERO, no accidental flying or running into lava or enemies.  The built on Start button is nice too, and the pass through for the 5200 stick is working great so far, (I only tried the top 3 buttons, none of the number keys).  The only drawback was the wait time for shipping.  However, with COVID 19 slowing down shipping and getting the adapter from Greece to Canada, that's to be expected.  I ordered 2 on April 15th, and received them on June 17th.  They were well packaged in a bubble mailer, and really tidy in appearance, (no solder blobs, no dry joints, and no crookedly soldered components).  Just over 2 months to get here but well worth the wait, if you've ordered some be patient.  ikonsgr seems like a really nice person too, I had several emails back and forth with him.  Really friendly and replied pretty quickly too.  Thanks ikonsgr!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, turbofly said:

I got my Atari 5200 to 9-pin DB9 adapter from ikonsgr yesterday.  Wow.  I've never used a Masterplay or Competition Pro, but being able to use a Genesis pad, (I used the 6 button pad), instead of the stock 5200 stick was so much better.  What a difference playing HERO, no accidental flying or running into lava or enemies.  The built on Start button is nice too, and the pass through for the 5200 stick is working great so far, (I only tried the top 3 buttons, none of the number keys).  The only drawback was the wait time for shipping.  However, with COVID 19 slowing down shipping and getting the adapter from Greece to Canada, that's to be expected.  I ordered 2 on April 15th, and received them on June 17th.  They were well packaged in a bubble mailer, and really tidy in appearance, (no solder blobs, no dry joints, and no crookedly soldered components).  Just over 2 months to get here but well worth the wait, if you've ordered some be patient.  ikonsgr seems like a really nice person too, I had several emails back and forth with him.  Really friendly and replied pretty quickly too.  Thanks ikonsgr!

I just ordered one off ebay also.