IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

Thanks - just ordered two of them.  Getting back into the 5200 after being out of the game for many years.  Pleasantly surprised to find so many homebrew games, Atari 800 conversions and all kinds of great joystick solutions (I have two Wicos w/ Y adaptors).  I have the old Sean Kelly multicart w/ the little switches. Still works just fine but it seems there are tons more games now, including a version my fave 2600 title Warlords.  Hells bells!

• Like 1

Or if Ikonsgr adapter does not accept the 8bitdo genesis bluetooth adapter here is another option.  Build a gameport to genesis adapter.  Then the bohoki adapter first.  Then convert that gameport to genesis.  Then the the receiver.

https://www.zerker.ca/home/sega-genesis-to-gameport-converter.html

http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42985

25 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Or if Ikonsgr adapter does not accept the 8bitdo genesis bluetooth adapter here is another option.  Build a gameport to genesis adapter.  Then the bohoki adapter first.  Then convert that gameport to genesis.  Then the the receiver.

https://www.zerker.ca/home/sega-genesis-to-gameport-converter.html

http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42985

Or just a pass through adapter that moves power from pin 7 to pin 5.

• Like 1

without reading back through 10 pages of this discussion, wondering if there is a consensus about the best choice(s) for what joystick to buy (or gamepad).  I.E. what pad/stick works best with the highest # of 5200 games, and is most accessible/affordable?

Also, wondering about the adapter itself.  Any suggestions for protective casing/housing?  My house is old and dusty, and I'd worry that would ruin the adapter eventually.....

Thoughts welcome!

1 hour ago, unoclay said:

without reading back through 10 pages of this discussion, wondering if there is a consensus about the best choice(s) for what joystick to buy (or gamepad).  I.E. what pad/stick works best with the highest # of 5200 games, and is most accessible/affordable?

Also, wondering about the adapter itself.  Any suggestions for protective casing/housing?  My house is old and dusty, and I'd worry that would ruin the adapter eventually.....

Thoughts welcome!

Do you have an adapter 15 to 9 pin with 15 pin for keyboard on the side.

Can you measure the hight and width.  Then I can lookup something to hold it.

4 hours ago, unoclay said:

I dont actually own it yet.  Was just thinking ahead.  Especially interested in the consensus around controllers to buy with it?

I use a wii mote and works great.  Or a pc raider with the book adapter or ikonsgr 9 to 15 pin adapter in my masterly clone or wirelessly with some other adapters.

Now we need to make wireless keypads.

I think i am missing something here.  How would you use a Wiimote with this adapter?  Wiimotes are bluetooth..right? Or need to be read through the Wiimote sensor bar?

Are we possibly talking about different items?  Or am i completely lost here, and out to lunch?  Basically i was thinking of buying this adapter (see link)...and some classic game controller?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-adapter-9pin-DB9-Sega-Genesis-Amiga-Amstrad-Commodore-Joystick-Pad/274188778409?hash=item3fd6ecbba9:g:7iwAAOSwc99ejN8t

15 hours ago, unoclay said:

I think i am missing something here.  How would you use a Wiimote with this adapter?  Wiimotes are bluetooth..right? Or need to be read through the Wiimote sensor bar?

Are we possibly talking about different items?  Or am i completely lost here, and out to lunch?  Basically i was thinking of buying this adapter (see link)...and some classic game controller?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-adapter-9pin-DB9-Sega-Genesis-Amiga-Amstrad-Commodore-Joystick-Pad/274188778409?hash=item3fd6ecbba9:g:7iwAAOSwc99ejN8t

With my normal masterplay clone I use a 8bitdo genesis 9 pin bluetooth receiver.  And then sync a wii mote or a gbros adapter.

But Ikonsgr adapter does not work with the receiver.  It might be modifyable however to power on by soldering a wire.  I also ordered one.  When it arrives I will see.

7 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

With my normal masterplay clone I use a 8bitdo genesis 9 pin bluetooth receiver… 

Ikonsgr adapter does not work with the receiver.  It might be modifyable however to power on by soldering a wire.

I wanted to echo this experience. I tried the 8bitdo Bluetooth dongle attached to my new ikonsgr 5200 to 2600 adapter. The blue 

LED on the dongle fast-blinks, but is not fully illuminated. I haven’t measured the voltage, but it appears underpowered.

@ikonsgr is there a way to pass through the appropriate voltage from your most excellent adapter? From my quick research, there is +5v on pin 12 of the 5200 controller jack. 

I think that this product is not a clone of the Masterplay per sé—rather a replacement to it—and the engineering is vastly improved!

I put my ikonsgr74 adapter in an enclosure. It is a tight fit and tricky to get it all in there but it works. You have to fold the ribbon cable up. Was trying to keep it as small as possible. I drilled a hole in the top and used a Nintendo 64 Start button and connected a screw to the bottom of it to make contact with the button on the board. I may try to find a better enclosure but this works for now. I am using a 5200 extension cable that I'll leave plugged into it.

5200_adapter_enclosure_03.thumb.jpg.9268b15687e00f1f4b7674d438642851.jpg5200_adapter_enclosure_02.thumb.jpg.fa7b5446b65f7595d86d4f3c503f86a5.jpg5200_adapter_enclosure_01.thumb.jpg.eadbbdfc4f3608c4e2c7612b957c7e94.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is the enclosure I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-Box-2-5-x-2-5-x-1-Plastic-Enclosure-BUD-IND-CU-3241-project-case/223638895637?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lectronimo said:

I put my ikonsgr74 adapter in an enclosure. It is a tight fit and tricky to get it all in there but it works. You have to fold the ribbon cable up. Was trying to keep it as small as possible. I drilled a hole in the top and used a Nintendo 64 Start button and connected a screw to the bottom of it to make contact with the button on the board. I may try to find a better enclosure but this works for now. I am using a 5200 extension cable that I'll leave plugged into it.

5200_adapter_enclosure_03.thumb.jpg.9268b15687e00f1f4b7674d438642851.jpg5200_adapter_enclosure_02.thumb.jpg.fa7b5446b65f7595d86d4f3c503f86a5.jpg5200_adapter_enclosure_01.thumb.jpg.eadbbdfc4f3608c4e2c7612b957c7e94.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is the enclosure I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-Box-2-5-x-2-5-x-1-Plastic-Enclosure-BUD-IND-CU-3241-project-case/223638895637?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

awesome but how did you make the holes?

Edited by 0078265317

I traced the outline of the connectors on the sides of the enclosure and then drilled a few holes and then used a Dremel tool and file to finish it. The two metal ones are pretty simple because you can make them a tight fit. The blue plastic connector (where I plug in the extension cable end) has to be larger for the connector to fit around it. So for that one, I traced the large end of the cable and added a little wiggle room to get it on there. I'll take some more pictures if I do another one. This one was more of a proof of concept. The height of the enclosure is a challenge, so you have to trim the nubs in the bottom of the box to get the board as low as you can get it or else the top will not clear the plastic clip on top of the ribbon cable. This one just missed getting the cover on, but I already had all the side holes in there so it was too late! I had to grind down the inside of the lid a little in one spot to get it on there. Next one I will get lower or use a different box.

12 minutes ago, Lectronimo said:

I traced the outline of the connectors on the sides of the enclosure and then drilled a few holes and then used a Dremel tool and file to finish it. The two metal ones are pretty simple because you can make them a tight fit. The blue plastic connector (where I plug in the extension cable end) has to be larger for the connector to fit around it. So for that one, I traced the large end of the cable and added a little wiggle room to get it on there. I'll take some more pictures if I do another one. This one was more of a proof of concept. The height of the enclosure is a challenge, so you have to trim the nubs in the bottom of the box to get the board as low as you can get it or else the top will not clear the plastic clip on top of the ribbon cable. This one just missed getting the cover on, but I already had all the side holes in there so it was too late! I had to grind down the inside of the lid a little in one spot to get it on there. Next one I will get lower or use a different box.

I am looking on ebay at other boxes now.

The width of the adapter is how much?  Just the green part minus the side connector with cable?

The side with the connectors is about 2.4" if I remember correctly. It's almost the exact width of the 2.5" enclosure which is nice. The other dimension is about 1.7" of board and overhang of the DB15 ribbon cable assembly soldered to the board. When you fold up the ribbon cable it pretty much makes it a 2.4" square. A 2.5"x3"x1.1" enclosure would be nice but not sure if it exists off the shelf. The ones I saw started getting too large like 3x4x1.5" and looked too big to me. I'm sure something else is out there. I got a couple more of these to mess with, so I'll give it another shot and try to make it better. I like the fact that its a near exact fit so you really don't need to do anything to fasten it to the box, it just stays put because it has not room to go anywhere.