IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

Today I have some relatively new information on a $17 controller adapter that you can obtain on Ebay that, when combined with a PC 15 pin gameport to Atari 5200 controller adapter (like the one currently being made by bohoki) will get your Atari 2600, Sega Master System, and Sega Genesis controllers working on your 5200. What's extra awesome about this is that the Sega controllers have compatibility with the two button games, and this is what the Masterplay Clone enables. (Unfortunately, no one is currently producing the Masterplay Clone for purchasing, though.)

Here is the Ebay link to the product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Atari-Amstrad-Commodore-DB9-9Pin-Joystick-to-15Pin-Port-support-Usb-Adpt/272348471848?hash=item3f693be228:g:Df4AAOSwUd9aaMnL

I've ordered adapters from this Ebay seller, Ikonsgr74, since 2015 and can vouch for his top-notch workmanship. He will not disappoint you.

I have some additional good news: The Atari 2600 Trakball works with it to play the digital games that may be worth a try on the 5200. I have tried it with Gyruss, Ballblazer, and Galaxian with nice control results- especially Gyruss. The trakball unfortunately doesn't work with the analog-only games like Missile Command, Tempest, Star Wars Arcade, and Super Breakout.

For two button digital games like Defender and Dreadnaught Factor, the Sega Sportspad (which is a trackball) also works great.

If you have a couple of Camerica NES products (The receiver for the "Freedom Stick" with Genesis cables and the "Freedom Connection" transmitter device) you can add those adapters and get your NES controllers working on the 5200. I have enjoyed playing with my NES Starmaster joystick and NES Max gamepad on games like Dig Dug and Defender. In fact, on Defender, the Star Master joystick helped me to get my best ever score of around 89,000. That joystick has a very satisfying 'click' for each direction it is tilted- though it's not actually a microswitch-laden joystick like the Quickshot II Plus. Hard to describe, but it's just a perfect joystick and I'm very grateful to be able to use it to play my favorite 5200 games. I've detected no lag by the way, so that's good...

Also there's a way to connect the 8bitdo NES Retro Receiver to the 5200 via the two adapters (and Camerica NES products and NES Fourscore) and play your 5200 digital games wirelessly with the controllers it's compatible with: The Dual Shock 4, Dual Shock 3, Wii Remote, and Wii U Pro Controller. I've tested it and had great success just last evening.

Hope you enjoy the info. Special thanks to Swami for being the 1st guinea pig to try out Ikonsgr74's newly revised controller adapter on the 5200 (via being added to the bohoki adapter). I'm definitely grateful for learning about this from you.

• Like 4

Today I have some relatively new information on a $17 controller adapter that you can obtain on Ebay that, when combined with a PC 15 pin gameport to Atari 5200 controller adapter (like the one currently being made by bohoki) will get your Atari 2600, Sega Master System, and Sega Genesis controllers working on your 5200. What's extra awesome about this is that the Sega controllers have compatibility with the two button games, and this is what the Masterplay Clone enables. (Unfortunately, no one is currently producing the Masterplay Clone for purchasing, though.)

Here is the Ebay link to the product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Atari-Amstrad-Commodore-DB9-9Pin-Joystick-to-15Pin-Port-support-Usb-Adpt/272348471848?hash=item3f693be228:g:Df4AAOSwUd9aaMnL

I've ordered adapters from this Ebay seller, Ikonsgr74, since 2015 and can vouch for his top-notch workmanship. He will not disappoint you.

I have some additional good news: The Atari 2600 Trakball works with it to play the digital games that may be worth a try on the 5200. I have tried it with Gyruss, Ballblazer, and Galaxian with nice control results- especially Gyruss. The trakball unfortunately doesn't work with the analog-only games like Missile Command, Tempest, Star Wars Arcade, and Super Breakout.

For two button digital games like Defender and Dreadnaught Factor, the Sega Sportspad (which is a trackball) also works great.

If you have a couple of Camerica NES products (The receiver for the "Freedom Stick" with Genesis cables and the "Freedom Connection" transmitter device) you can add those adapters and get your NES controllers working on the 5200. I have enjoyed playing with my NES Starmaster joystick and NES Max gamepad on games like Dig Dug and Defender. In fact, on Defender, the Star Master joystick helped me to get my best ever score of around 89,000. That joystick has a very satisfying 'click' for each direction it is tilted- though it's not actually a microswitch-laden joystick like the Quickshot II Plus. Hard to describe, but it's just a perfect joystick and I'm very grateful to be able to use it to play my favorite 5200 games. I've detected no lag by the way, so that's good...

Also there's a way to connect the 8bitdo NES Retro Receiver to the 5200 via the two adapters (and Camerica NES products and NES Fourscore) and play your 5200 digital games wirelessly with the controllers it's compatible with: The Dual Shock 4, Dual Shock 3, Wii Remote, and Wii U Pro Controller. I've tested it and had great success just last evening.

Hope you enjoy the info. Special thanks to Swami for being the 1st guinea pig to try out Ikonsgr74's newly revised controller adapter on the 5200 (via being added to the bohoki adapter). I'm definitely grateful for learning about this from you.

It also works with the PS2 to Genesis/Amiga adapters, like the Masterplay clone. Dual shock, etc.

Hey Swami, I have not been able to get my Tototek Playstation to Genesis controller adapter working with this. What brand of adapter were you using?

I have the Amiga to PS2 one by Wellingham. It's probably that the Genesis to PS2 one is looking for VCC power on pin 5, but it is on pin7, since it it technically an Amiga to 15pin adapter. I think I forgot about that. Although Amigas are compatible with all the Genesis and SMS controllers, the converters need the VCC power source. That could be remedied with a pass-through adapter with a pin 7 --> pin 5 jumper, but I'll see if I can get my Genesis to PS2 adapter working tonight without such a device. Maybe the Seagull78 would do the trick.

I don't see one of Wellingham's adapter on eBay today, but this similar one is there, which I have and will also try again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cyclone-RX-Playstation-Joystick-Gamepad-Adapter-for-Commodore-Amiga/111338931916?epid=1988423447&hash=item19ec5146cc:g:GkYAAOxyThVTXkWU:rk:2:pf:0

thats neat such a compact package

i'm so ashamed of my haphazardly constructed adapters that one shown is an older one i think i sold for $10 delivered so $2 of that was shipping -$3 in parts i am not trying to make money i just want people to play their 5200 and stop bitching about their controllers not working

i'm not out in the garage breaking up a bike chain to connect the plugs together anymore funny story why i started doing that

someone got one of my adapters and said it wasnt working and it besides if keeps falling out of the 5200

well the doofus was plugging the pc controller into the end with the cutt off shield and the end with the metal shield in the 5200

i thought how can i make this foolproof with the 2 ends connected i figured it would be impossible to shove that block into a 5200

well stupid me someone had a controller extension and you guessed it you cannot make anything foolproof cause fools are very ingenious

i got 3 more built if someone wants one pm me (sorry i do not ship out of the country)

• Like 4

thats neat such a compact package

i'm so ashamed of my haphazardly constructed adapters that one shown is an older one i think i sold for $10 delivered so $2 of that was shipping -$3 in parts i am not trying to make money i just want people to play their 5200 and stop bitching about their controllers not working

i'm not out in the garage breaking up a bike chain to connect the plugs together anymore funny story why i started doing that

someone got one of my adapters and said it wasnt working and it besides if keeps falling out of the 5200

well the doofus was plugging the pc controller into the end with the cutt off shield and the end with the metal shield in the 5200

i thought how can i make this foolproof with the 2 ends connected i figured it would be impossible to shove that block into a 5200

well stupid me someone had a controller extension and you guessed it you cannot make anything foolproof cause fools are very ingenious

i got 3 more built if someone wants one pm me (sorry i do not ship out of the country)

I will take another two :) Shipped to my buddy in the USA.

• Like 2

Hey Swami, I have not been able to get my Tototek Playstation to Genesis controller adapter working with this. What brand of adapter were you using?

Okay, so here is what I've found. Nope, can't get the Tototek to work at all. However, on the Willingham adapter you can use either thumbstick and get two fire buttons. With the one linked to in my post above, you can get two fire buttons, but only the d-pad works - thumb sticks don't work. Maybe there are instructions for how make the sticks work, I'll have to check. Tried the Tototek with the Seagull78 and SMS rapid fire, but no luck.

Here's the Willingham adapter, two button mode is select+start+O.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-Amiga-CD32-Atari-playstation-adapter-PSX-joypad-joystick-interface/223184311035?hash=item33f6d252fb:g:SDIAAOxyOlhStDmY:rk:6:pf:0

Instructions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KcKvhuC9qvQmpLOVRjQ3BLLXpwQlBBejItbTFTa25rR2ZJ/view

Here are instructions to the Cyclone adapter above, obviously, the Willingham one is better:

https://www.everythingamiga.com/2018/04/cyclone-rx-review.html

Interesting stuff, Swami. Thanks for running the tests. I have a pin 5 to 7 swapper cable from Best Electronics that I'll try out with the Tototek.... doubt it'll work, but it's worth a try.

I was testing out my Tototek and I think it must be broken. I can't get it to work with my Masterplay clone even though my Genesis pad works fine. I can't even get the dual shock light to turn on with the Tototek and Masterplay clone.

Okay- I tried the Best Electronics pin 5 and 7 swapper, and it got things activated with one exception: i can't go right... Looks like I won't be using that.

Did you try hitting reset? Sometimes that fixes it. I always have to hit reset with the Willingam Amiga2PSX adapter I use to get the menu to work on my SD multicart because the cursor always runs all the way to the bottom and won't go up, but corrects itself when I hit reset. I think the adapters add their own bit of resistance.

Well, the reset button idea did not end up working. I guess it's the Tototek... Odd how it works with the Masterplay Clone, but not this...

Strange, the one direction not working and that the Willingham and KMTech adapters work. But at least it allows a lot of other great controllers to be used, like you showed in your video. I'd never tried the sega sports pad with it.

Strange, the one direction not working and that the Willingham and KMTech adapters work. But at least it allows a lot of other great controllers to be used, like you showed in your video. I'd never tried the sega sports pad with it.

Hey, I got to wondering if my Tototek adapter might have a short in it (it's been damaged in the past and I "fixed" it). Anyway, I took a look and it turns out that a wire was in contact with one of the other wires. That has now been taken care of and it's totally working with the adapters!

So here's the method I used to get the Playstation controllers working.

Plug the following adapters together in series:

A PC 15 pin Gameport to 5200 15 pin adapter (bohoki makes em)

The Atari 2600/Amiga/Commodore 9 pin to PC 15 pin Gameport adapter (made by Ikonsgr74 of Ebay)

A Best Electronics 9 pin to 9 pin adapter that swaps pin 5 & 7 called the Sega Genesis Controllers to Atari Systems Adapter Cable.

A Tototek Playstation controllers to Sega Genesis adapter (named the Joypad Converter version MD).

The thumbsticks work on the conttollers, but the control you get is digital not analog. The analog-only games like Star Wars Arcade, Super Breakout, Missile Command aren't going to be compatible, but the vast majority of 5200 games are compatible.

There you go!

Edited by ave1

Hey, I got to wondering if my Tototek adapter might have a short in it (it's been damaged in the past and I "fixed" it). Anyway, I took a look and it turns out that a wire was in contact with one of the other wires. That has now been taken care of and it's totally working with the adapters!

The Atari 2600/Amiga/Commodore 9 pin to PC 15 pin Gameport adapter (made by Ikonsgr74 of Ebay)

A Best Electronics 9 pin to 9 pin adapter that swaps pin 5 & 7 called the Sega Genesis Controllers to Atari Systems Adapter Cable.

A Tototek Playstation controllers to Sega Genesis adapter (named the Joypad Converter version MD).

The thumbsticks work on the conttollers, but the control you get is digital not analog. The analog-only games like Star Wars Arcade, Super Breakout, Missile Command aren't going to be compatible, but the vast majority of 5200 games are compatible.

There you go!

I'd love to see picture of that frankenstein-looking assembly of adapters :-D

• Like 1

There you go!

Congratulations! I'm glad you got it working.

• Like 1

The left thumbstick on the Playstation controller works but not the right (and I'm figuring you asked about Robotron because you're wanting to play it with two thumbsticks simultaneously on the Dual Shock controller, but it isn't going to work that way, unfortunately).

Now if you have two Playstation 1 joysticks and two sets of adapters (each plugged in to the 1st two 5200 controller ports), you can play Robotron with them parked next to eachother.

Edited by ave1

And Robotron will work with this?

No, not with a PS2 dual shock. But it does not work on any of the Masterplay clones. Not enough pins on the 9 pin connector for 8 separate directions, plus two fires for other games and the +5V VCC. You could double up the bohoki and Amiga adapters and use an Edladdin Twin 78.