IGNORED

A new low-priced "Masterplay Clone" for Sega & A2600 joystick compatibility

ave1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:39 AM, phattyboombatty said:

@ikonsgr is there a way to pass through the appropriate voltage from your most excellent adapter? From my quick research, there is +5v on pin 12 of the 5200 controller jack. 

Unfortunately things about this notorious "5v" pin is not so simple, check the current discussion some time last year: 

In 2 words, using the 5v pin result in NON working adapter, only using "pot common" make it work! As i wrote before,i don't know many things about "inner workings" of an Atari 5200, but this 8bitdo might indeed need to use 5v pin12 instead of "pot common".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that games that were made to work with trackball might switch off "pot common" line to differentiate which controller is being connected to the joystick port and that would be the games that most probably will present issues with 8bit do. Am I correct?

A possible solution would be connect 5V from pin 12 to DB-9 pin 5 and thus provide power to 8bitdo all the time but keep the PIC being powered by "pot common".

15 hours ago, Danjovic said:

I believe that games that were made to work with trackball might switch off "pot common" line to differentiate which controller is being connected to the joystick port and that would be the games that most probably will present issues with 8bit do. Am I correct?

A possible solution would be connect 5V from pin 12 to DB-9 pin 5 and thus provide power to 8bitdo all the time but keep the PIC being powered by "pot common".

Hmm, this might be a good idea indeed, i might also add this line to a next revision of board.

Fortunately both pin12 on 15pin a5200 connector and pin5 on the 9pin connector are not used at all, so anyone can easily solder a small wire from one pad to another on existed  boards and give it a try!

My only concern is that 5v supply was only assigned on pin5 on sega controllers ( http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/DB9-Joystick ), all other types (including the standard atari 2600 original db9 pinout) use this pin as 3rd button (or either potx/poty), so it might be potentailly dangerous to supply 5v to this pin, as it will cause a short circuit, if you try to press 3rd button, on any joystick  that supports it. On the other hand, i'm not aware of any DB9 controller that supported 3 separate fire buttons, even joysticks with 2 separate fire buttons are rather few ,compared to the enormous amount of joysticks that supported only 1 fire (most joysticks have 2 physical fire buttons, but both of these buttons were directed to the same 1st fire pin,so in reallity these joysticks supported 1 fire button, which actually was the "indusrty standard" derived from the original Atari2600 controller, 2nd and 3rd fire buttons were "undocumented", so companies place them in different pins...)

Edited by ikonsgr

8 hours ago, ikonsgr said:

My only concern is that 5v supply was only assigned on pin5 on sega controllers...

Yeah, that's complicated. If you allow me to suggest, add the 5V line and let a mark where to cut to disable power on pin 5. It might be a jumper or a solder jumper as well but the first requires an extra component - the jumper - and the latter requires some soldering skills.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:09 PM, Danjovic said:

Yeah, that's complicated. If you allow me to suggest, add the 5V line and let a mark where to cut to disable power on pin 5. It might be a jumper or a solder jumper as well but the first requires an extra component - the jumper - and the latter requires some soldering skills.

Or i may add a tiny switch like the one i use at usb mouse adapter: s-l1600.jpg

Using that, either extra component or soldering is needed! ;-) 

Edited by ikonsgr
  • Like 2

Got my ikgr74 adapter today finally.  Nogo on the genesis 9 pin bluetooth receiver.  A seagull makes it blink.  But light blue and not dark blue.  And no wiiremote syncs.

I however got my camerica adapters and a 4 score working with nes receiver.  And then a wiimote syncs.

But only works for jungle hunt.  And maye few others.  Swings vines and moves up and down in the second level.  

But for space dungeon it auto fires with a wiimote synced.  And does not move canon any direction if used as a second player slot.  

And robotron nothing happens.  He does not move at all or fire.  And canon does not move if used in second player slot.  

If I use no camerica stuff and directly plug an atari space agae joystick in the ikonsgr adapter it works normal.  Can moves and fires all directions.  Must be the camerica stuff somehow.

I tried a gbros adapter thinking it might work.  But I plugin my camerica receiver and then freedom connect.  8bitdo nes receiver does not work.  But if I plug in a four score as ave1 discovered years ago it works.  Then sync a wiimote.  Itnsyncs but wiimote does not work for space dungeon or robotron.  I tried a gbros adapter.  Lights up blue for 2 seconds and then turns red.  Never syncs so not sure if that would of help.  

Got to figure out hot to use 8bitdo receiver directly with ikonsgr adapter.  There is a nes to db 9 adapter on ebay.  Maybe that wil work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293206009844

• 4 weeks later...

I understand Iknonsgr makes two types---a 9 pin adapter, and a 15 pin adapter?

Anyone have a strong recommendation on which to buy?  I'd just like the easiest solution for an adapter+affordable joystick/pad (whichever) that would work with a majority of games.  Any recs on the adapter (9 vs 15) or a specific controller, welcome.  Dont really have the $$ to be buying multiple joysticks/pads in search of the best one.....

2 hours ago, unoclay said:

Anyone have a strong recommendation on which to buy?  I'd just like the easiest solution for an adapter+affordable joystick/pad (whichever) that would work with a majority of games.  Any recs on the adapter (9 vs 15) or a specific controller, welcome.  Dont really have the $$ to be buying multiple joysticks/pads in search of the best one.....

For the 15 pin one search "pc analog joystick gameport" and see the kind of analog flightsticks used. You can also use one of these with the 15-pin. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SUNCOM-G-FORCE-PLUS-PC-FLIGHT-CONTROLLER-Retro-Gamer-Delight/283835756256?hash=item4215edeee0:g:UBsAAOSwWc1ehok3

For the 9-pin, you can use genesis gamepads and atari 2600 joystick, but it won't work well for analog games.

On 8/10/2020 at 4:41 AM, unoclay said:

Well,i think it depends on what kind of controller you want to use:

- For atari 2600, sega genesis, C64, amiga, atari st, amstrad cpc (and practically almost any controller/joystick for old 8/16bit home micros)  joysticks/gamepads you will need the 9pin adapter.

- For any PC analogue joytstick equipped with 15pin D connector you need the bohoki clone adapter.

Mind also that 9pin adapter is digital only, so you will not be able to use it with the few 5200 games (5-6 out of ~70 games  available for A5200) that need analogue controller.

Edited by ikonsgr

Well i guess i'd rather have the All-in-One solution, so the 15-pin sounds like the way to go......but to be sure i understand, I can buy the 15 pin and dont need the "bohoki clone adapter"(im not familar), so long as I just avoid PC analog D Connectors?  

Wow this is a little confusing but i appreciate all the input.....

i do like analog control for games that require it.......

15 hours ago, ikonsgr said:

Well,i think it depends on what kind of controller you want to use:

- For atari 2600, sega genesis, C64, amiga, atari st, amstrad cpc (and practically almost any controller/joystick for old 8/16bit home micros)  joysticks/gamepads you will need the 9pin adapter.

- For any PC analogue joytstick equipped with 15pin D connector you need the bohoki clone adapter.

Mind also that 9pin adapter is digital only, so you will not be able to use it with the few 5200 games (5-6 out of ~70 games  available for A5200) that need analogue controller.

50 minutes ago, unoclay said:

Well i guess i'd rather have the All-in-One solution, so the 15-pin sounds like the way to go......but to be sure i understand, I can buy the 15 pin and dont need the "bohoki clone adapter"(im not familar), so long as I just avoid PC analog D Connectors?  

Wow this is a little confusing but i appreciate all the input.....

i do like analog control for games that require it.......

The "15-pin" is the "bohoki clone" which is for the PC analog D connector. bohoki made the 15-pin first, now ikonsgr makes them as well. Also, for about $30 you can buy both and use an analog stick for the 15 pin and genesis pad or atari joystick for the 9-pin.