IGNORED

What new software would you use for your TI-99/4A Computer?

9640News

31 members have voted

1. 1. What software would not presently available would you like to see developed and you would use on a weekly basis?

• Games
    • Terminal Emulator
    • FTP Client for TIPI or WiFi enabled modems
    • Web browser for TIPI or WiFi enabled modems
    • Word Processing
    • Spreadsheet
    • Database
    • Other (Please describe in a post).....

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

plus Web Games for TIPI or WiFi enabled modems ;)

Maybe an old game with given source code can somehow be web-enabled ?

This would be cool :lust:

PS: Multiplayer-Adventure ?

...or an almost standardized (short) subroutine, that can be "easily" added to Basic programs,

to save HighScores via TIPI to a central place ?

Games, games and more games!

Love to see rare arcade gems being produced on such a capable machine. Stuff like Flying Shark and that Borzork game. Wow! Sure hope that gets finished someday. :love:

I'd play these regularly if they were available on the TI:

Astro Invader

Bagman

Bombjack

Diamond Mine

Montezumas Revenge

Mr. Do!

Rally-X

Reactor

Turtles

Warp & Warp

Zookeeper

...and a really good pinball game. With a well designed playfield. :)

Oh, and Championship Baseball - if it could ever be tweaked to be playable without the MBX unit. Computer AI for single player mode of course. As for selecting which outfielder, could be modeled after the mechanics that M-Network used in their SuperChallenge Baseball game for the VCS. :love:

• Like 2

1) GUI Calculator using the mouse on the TIPI.

2) Printer application woven into the TIPI that intercepts output sent to "PIO" and outputs in PDF format for 100% compatibility with all modern printers.

3) Clock set program that takes data directly from the TIPI Rpi/Internet and feeds it to the CorComp RTC for compatibility with TI programs.

• Like 1

1) GUI Calculator using the mouse on the TIPI.

2) Printer application woven into the TIPI that intercepts output sent to "PIO" and outputs in PDF format for 100% compatibility with all modern printers.

3) Clock set program that takes data directly from the TIPI Rpi/Internet and feeds it to the CorComp RTC for compatibility with TI programs.

2- started

3- tipi clock will be evolving a bit first

• Like 1

I would like to see, a GUI and the ability to access more than a 256ish MB usable space on a scsi or MFM drive, though I did read the other day it's possible on IDE. And other utilities. I do not have internet at home due to cost vs. data limits/ per Hugehsnet. And I really do not have other internet options right now, other than satellite.

• Like 1

I would like to see, a GUI and the ability to access more than a 256ish MB usable space on a scsi or MFM drive, though I did read the other day it's possible on IDE. And other utilities. I do not have internet at home due to cost vs. data limits/ per Hugehsnet. And I really do not have other internet options right now, other than satellite.

Ricky, trying to expand on your thoughts. When you said you would like to see a GUI. On an unmodified TI-99/4A? Or something for a F18 equipped TI-99/4A? Geneve?

What would this GUI be expected to do? I am just trying to understand what you would like to see so maybe someone you are interested in can be matched up with someone else's interest, etc.

Do you have something in mind requiring or that would use this extra memory on a SCSI or MFM drive or is it purely storage?

If you need storage space, realistically, such extra memory already exists with the TIPI if you can get your hands on one if you haven't already. If you are thinking/needing this extra storage for some kind of massive graphic screen data for a potential program, then the TIPI gets you to that point now. It may not be as fast as a hard drive, but does offer one feature one could not otherwise achieve. Let me explain. If there was a program requiring 200 MB's of storage for virtual graphic screens, the TIPI is about the only way you or someone else is going to ever distribute.

People can download through a Windows/Mac computer 200 MB zip files without much issue. Worse case, someone distributes a game on CD/DVD and then they can then browse to their RPI through a network connection, and drop the files into a TIPI directory/path. Getting even 40 or 100 MB's of data transferred from a RS232 or Telnet connection through a TI-99/4A to the respective storage device while not impossible is pretty much impractical. I do not know what the maximum sustained Telnet speed can be achieved on a stock TI-99/4A, and then the terminal emulator has to be large storage device compatible so you are not saving to floppies for such a massive program.

Just saying..... The TIPI does overcome the hurdle of distribution mega size files and opens up some opportunities should someone want to explore those options.

Beery

• Like 1

i voted "Other" because I have developed lots of GRAM software with my 80K MG GramKracker over many decades, that I would like to easily port to my FG99, but I don't know how to do this, and I haven't found a FG99 tool that will do it. Of course, the FG99 currently does not allow external GRAM/GROM for GROM 0 - 2, but I hope that this will be in a future upgrade for the FG99. Time will tell, but someone out there should be able to provide a tool that will convert GK GRAM 3 - 7 to FG99 format similar to the SNUG GKRACk program that converts GK GRAM to HSGPL GRAM. Any takers for this project?

Bill

• Like 1

Calculator - printer - clock. Boring! icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I can see that would be boring to some. Beery asked about something you would USE though, so I was honest. I figure if any man is going to ask what kind of programs are not already available that one would use on a regular basis, it means he does not want to waste his valuable time making something no one will use.

I will admit though, my goals are probably different than most. For me, I want to make my TI RELEVANT and USABLE again for everyday tasks.

• Like 1

Ricky, trying to expand on your thoughts. When you said you would like to see a GUI. On an unmodified TI-99/4A? Or something for a F18 equipped TI-99/4A? Geneve?

What would this GUI be expected to do? I am just trying to understand what you would like to see so maybe someone you are interested in can be matched up with someone else's interest, etc.

Do you have something in mind requiring or that would use this extra memory on a SCSI or MFM drive or is it purely storage?

If you need storage space, realistically, such extra memory already exists with the TIPI if you can get your hands on one if you haven't already. If you are thinking/needing this extra storage for some kind of massive graphic screen data for a potential program, then the TIPI gets you to that point now. It may not be as fast as a hard drive, but does offer one feature one could not otherwise achieve. Let me explain. If there was a program requiring 200 MB's of storage for virtual graphic screens, the TIPI is about the only way you or someone else is going to ever distribute.

People can download through a Windows/Mac computer 200 MB zip files without much issue. Worse case, someone distributes a game on CD/DVD and then they can then browse to their RPI through a network connection, and drop the files into a TIPI directory/path. Getting even 40 or 100 MB's of data transferred from a RS232 or Telnet connection through a TI-99/4A to the respective storage device while not impossible is pretty much impractical. I do not know what the maximum sustained Telnet speed can be achieved on a stock TI-99/4A, and then the terminal emulator has to be large storage device compatible so you are not saving to floppies for such a massive program.

Just saying..... The TIPI does overcome the hurdle of distribution mega size files and opens up some opportunities should someone want to explore those options.

Beery

Well I have always though it would be possible to have a windows type environment(Ex:Window 1) on a TI, using a AMS or SAMS for memory, and a TIM (or any 80 column device) for the video. As for storage I do believe it is possible to have a fat like partition scheme on our devices, using something like petiteFat (http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_p.html) and either multiple partitions or overlays like the older ide's and other devices used to use, to access more than a, say '512MB' hard drive. I do not want a TIPI in each of my systems, and want the ability to store as much as possible on each drive, so yes more storage than anything else.

Yes I believe TIPI has great potential and someday I will probably own the PEB box version, but I still believe what we have, hardware related, has never been used to its fullest potential. I usually don't have a fully functioning system, always fixing broken things, and have been lurching about like Frankenstein to get things functioning, as I do have a lot on my plate, and have only in the last three years really picked up programming, using modern languages like C# and python, but want to try my hand at doing things, both hardware and software related for both the old girls, TI and Genny.

• Like 1

Well, should anyone ever want to work on a GUI for the TI-99/4A, the closest thing we presently have that could curve some development time, is the GEME source code. That was a start Mike Riccio made. The video coding for some of the GUI could be migrated into a 4A scheme with 80 columns without a horrendous amount of effort. What someene then did with it, well, that is up to them. It would though require an AMS or SAMS memory device with the video routines moved into swappable pages.

Once you had a GUI to some set of minimal standards, then one would need to develop some kind of apps. Presumably, you would want a mouse interface. That opens up some options for mouse driver software such as a TIPI mouse interface, a Geneve mouse Interface, and a RS232 based mouse interface. All three drivers which are doable.

I have no idea what is involved with memory mapping with the AMS or SAMS. One would probably need to throw in Geneve memory mapping, and maybe even some kind of Finalgrom mapping if it is possible to have a "mega" module (no idea here if that is possible).

Anyways, this is a major effort and few people with the time, though with the C# compilers out there, someone may be able to port something over for a base set of code.

Anyways, just throwing some ideas out there should it generate someone's interest.

Beery

• Like 1

Yeah, I can see that would be boring to some. Beery asked about something you would USE though, so I was honest. I figure if any man is going to ask what kind of programs are not already available that one would use on a regular basis, it means he does not want to waste his valuable time making something no one will use.

Right now, I have been happy doing some minor programming with MyTerm and Mass Transfer so others could use them. I had actually thought there may have been a bit more interest in terminal emulators, however the predominant interest people have in Games seems to be the biggest interest. So, in that respect, I was a bit surprised. But hey, that is why we ask questions and do polls.

Myself, I will be chugging away on some code with MyTerm as it is my goal to add some ANSI capability to the program. More than likely, it will only be something I use unless the TIPI issues with the Geneve are resolved and I can modify it for the TIPI as well.

Beery

I voted Other also - I would use a Twitter client through the TIPI on my 99/4A often, and the Twitter environment with it’s mostly character based 280 character limit seems like something a stock 99/4A could handle pretty well. I have no idea how to program such a thing however, but I definitely would use it.

• Like 1

I voted Other also - I would use a Twitter client through the TIPI on my 99/4A often, and the Twitter environment with it’s mostly character based 280 character limit seems like something a stock 99/4A could handle pretty well. I have no idea how to program such a thing however, but I definitely would use it.

Twitter API

https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/api-reference-index.html

There are also various Github projects for Twitter, so if someone has the skill, they may be able to take Matt's telnet code and work with a suitable project and have something........

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 1

I would like somethink for sounds, music and Speech and an X-Copy version :)

about speech for example something like a Terminal Emulator II but easier to use for Speech Synth programming.

about music and sounds i would like an 80col tracker to create music for TI99, a similar game to the protracker on the amiga for example, better if supported by the mouse also.

Lot of us also have the SID Master card and would be very cool to have possibility to have a program to play the original .sid files.

about games I would like to see a good Billard game :P

...also a graphic copier like the Amiga X-Copy could be funny to see... :P

THAT sounds good too! icon_thumbsup.gif

Well I have always though it would be possible to have a windows type environment(Ex:Window 1) on a TI, using a AMS or SAMS for memory, and a TIM (or any 80 column device) for the video. As for storage I do believe it is possible to have a fat like partition scheme on our devices, using something like petiteFat (http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_p.html) and either multiple partitions or overlays like the older ide's and other devices used to use, to access more than a, say '512MB' hard drive. I do not want a TIPI in each of my systems, and want the ability to store as much as possible on each drive, so yes more storage than anything else.

Yes I believe TIPI has great potential and someday I will probably own the PEB box version, but I still believe what we have, hardware related, has never been used to its fullest potential. I usually don't have a fully functioning system, always fixing broken things, and have been lurching about like Frankenstein to get things functioning, as I do have a lot on my plate, and have only in the last three years really picked up programming, using modern languages like C# and python, but want to try my hand at doing things, both hardware and software related for both the old girls, TI and Genny.

a tipi is exactly what you say you want.. you can stick a 64g drive on each ti that way or 128... whatever sd size you want to buy.. or stick an external usb drive of terrabytes..whatever .. it exists now..