IGNORED

New version of ATARI 8 bit emulator released!

alpental

Well...all those games running in tile mode on a huge flatscreen makes Xformer 10 the ultimate frontend experience for running Atari 8-bit games!

Yes Altirra is more accurate and Atari800Plus works well with frontends, but there's always room for another emulator that does things differently. :)

And thanks to the guys at Emulators.com for setting me down the path of the sorcery known as emulation. I've read about PC Xformer and Gemulator 25 years ago in Current Notes and that made it easier for me to upgrade (like it or not) to the Wintel platform.

• Like 2

Ummm...where can I download this from? The site doesn't have any download link for it, at least that I can find.

under the picture it says....

http://www.emulators.com/freefile/xformer10.zip

if you read it and click it you got it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just downloaded and "installed". I like the simplicity of the installer ;-). Found an ATR and had Boulderdash up and running in less than a minute. I rarely use emulators, but for the occasional game (or demoing to friends), Xformer10 is perfect. Many thanks for releasing it.

I love it when people think out of the box. This is a novel and well thought out variation on the traditional emulator.

It may not be as accurate as Altirra but it appears the creators weren’t looking for that market. As a frontend that auto configures screen and controller and plays most games and formats it hits the mark.

Given the feedback from this release a very good addition to the Atari emulation scene will only get better in a short time. I’ll still be using Altirra but this addition will be great when I am looking to instantly select and play something from the Atari software smorgasbord.

Well done developers.

• 1 month later...

looks great, but can't get this working the way others have.

installed 64-bit version on my 8gb win10, 64-bit laptop. - as per instructions dragged relevant file to desktop.

emulator boots up and will load however many VMs (tiled) as i like.

am unable to load ATRs directly to it, either via a menu option or drag n drop.

the ONLY way I can ever get software to load is to drag an ATR over the xformer icon on the desktop

anyone and clues?

Seem you have to drag'n drop a few files ONCE to the desktop icon.. and after that, then you can load files from a folder.

http://atariteca.blogspot.com/2018/12/como-instalar-xformer-10-emulador-de.html

Regards,

- Y -

looks great, but can't get this working the way others have.

installed 64-bit version on my 8gb win10, 64-bit laptop. - as per instructions dragged relevant file to desktop.

emulator boots up and will load however many VMs (tiled) as i like.

am unable to load ATRs directly to it, either via a menu option or drag n drop.

the ONLY way I can ever get software to load is to drag an ATR over the xformer icon on the desktop

anyone and clues?

Edited by Yautja

I do not consider failed acid tests a problem when the real world apps work fine.

It might not be obvious, the emulator runs on Windows 7 too. Anyone tried wine?

It might not be obvious... or, as a matter of fact, VERY obvious that (unless I missed something magical here) It does not even reproduces NTSC effective / true aspect ratio (11/12). In other words, a circle in true NTSC world shows as a flying saucer in Xformer, and a circle in Xformer shows as in inverted elipse in true NTSC...

How's that for a REAL WORLD application?

Some people have been confused about how to launch an individual image file like an ATR/XEX etc. in XFormer 10. There are 2 ways:

1. Drag the image file onto the icon on your desktop. It does not yet work to drag it onto an already running window of XFormer10.

2. If XFormer10 is already running, put a virtual disk into the virtual disk drive by choosing the menu option "Disk/Cartridge"/"D1:"/"D1:" and then choose the image file. Cold Start using the menu VM/ColdStart (or just press CTRL-F10).

See the XFormer10_README.rtf file for more information.

• Like 1

It might not be obvious... or, as a matter of fact, VERY obvious that (unless I missed something magical here) It does not even reproduces NTSC effective / true aspect ratio (11/12). In other words, a circle in true NTSC world shows as a flying saucer in Xformer, and a circle in Xformer shows as in inverted elipse in true NTSC...

How's that for a REAL WORLD application?

Sorry, I am from the PAL world. Anyone else experiencing the aspect ratio problem?

Please compile this to work on Windows XP 32 bit.

Thanks.

Edit: Altirra works perfectly.

:)

I am no expert, but I would bet that this XFormer depends on APIs not available for these outdated Windows XP. If it is the case... request denied. Edited by baktra

Some people have been confused about how to launch an individual image file like an ATR/XEX etc. in XFormer 10. There are 2 ways:

1. Drag the image file onto the icon on your desktop. It does not yet work to drag it onto an already running window of XFormer10.

2. If XFormer10 is already running, put a virtual disk into the virtual disk drive by choosing the menu option "Disk/Cartridge"/"D1:"/"D1:" and then choose the image file. Cold Start using the menu VM/ColdStart (or just press CTRL-F10).

See the XFormer10_README.rtf file for more information.

thanks.

option 1 is fine - as I said above - and has been since install.

option 2 is a no-no. if I select disk/cartridge > d1: > d1:...

the second d1:... is greyed out

think I'm missing something obvious here.

Sorry, I am from the PAL world. Anyone else experiencing the aspect ratio problem?

Atari home computers were designed and manufactured in California, USA. They were meant and designed for NTSC. Therefore, it is NTSC the primary reference point (I am not sure I could state anything more obvious or better known, indeed), and in much of the visitors stats that I can see displayed on Atari-related sites, it is usually the U.S.A. crowd that totals the most (in raw numbers, that is).

ANYONE will experience this, because this is an objective issue (not a perceptual, not imagined, not an opinion). And the object itself is either your emulation platform or the actual machine. instead. Let's just take a look at the ACTUAL equipment on NTSC, so EVERYONE can see:

Here's the source code in basic:

post-29379-0-87544700-1544387005_thumb.jpg

Here's the output:

post-29379-0-31820400-1544387017_thumb.jpg

Therefore: ALL of our known visual memory of our experience with NTSCs machines will END UP being WARPED horizontally if NTSC's 11h:12v aspect ratio is not accounted for. Everything. Every single of those hundred tiles is essentially showing the wrong proportions, if you do not get the above results. And to correct it, aspect-ratio must be recomputed per every frame you generate on the emulator (@ 60fps or 50fps).

Unless a nice but truthful trick is already known, there goes your "0.01% CPU" usage, down the drain.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Please compile this to work on Windows XP 32 bit.

Thanks.

Edit: Altirra works perfectly.

:)

So why would you need or even want xformer? I'm unable to think of a single advantage any other emulator has over it (other than native versions for platforms other than Windows).

• Like 1

thanks.

option 1 is fine - as I said above - and has been since install.

option 2 is a no-no. if I select disk/cartridge > d1: > d1:...

the second d1:... is greyed out

think I'm missing something obvious here.

Again, please see the README. It sounds like you have closed every VM, so you need to start a new one using the File/New VM/Atari 800 (or whichever type of machine you want to emulate), or File/New Session before you try and load a disk image.

we

Again, please see the README. It sounds like you have closed every VM, so you need to start a new one using the File/New VM/Atari 800 (or whichever type of machine you want to emulate), or File/New Session before you try and load a disk image.

it may sound like that...but I haven't.

i have three VMs open, but

disk/cartridge > d1: > d1:...

that second d1: is definitely greyed out