IGNORED

ColecoPlug (Colecovision USB power supply) can be preordered!

EvilDragon17

A lot of here probably already know about that adaptor, but as it has now been tested thoroughly and is now in production, I thought I'd open up a new thread as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions - and I'll try to answer them as good as possible.

What is the ColecoPlug?

post-41707-0-79674700-1528198576_thumb.jpg

The ColecoPlug is a small adapter which you can plug into your original Colecovision (where you usually plug in the original power supply).

This small plug enables you to use a standard USB-C power supply (like the ones used with smartphones) to power your Colecovision (or any accessories that use the same power supply as well).

As it's hard these days to find power supplies for the Colecovision, this is a great way to keep your system alive. And it works worldwide, regardless the region!

How does it work?

The adapter has an up-converter as well as a voltage stabilizer included.
It uses the 5V it gets from the USB power supply, stabilizes it and creates stable 5V, -5V and +12V from it which powers the Colecovision.

As the Colecovision needs quite a bit of power, you need to use a proper USB power supply as well. Any power supply providing 2A or higher should work without any issues.

Thanks to the voltage stabilized, even cheap USB power supplies that provide less than 5V work fine - but it's still suggested to use a good one.

Has this been tested?

Yes, of course!

Multiple users here from the AtariAge boards have received prototypes and tested them with various Colecovisions. Modded and unmodded, with accessories and without and from various regions.

It works without problems.

Also, we presented it at our booth at the GamesCom in Germany where it powered a Colecovision 10 hours a day for 5 days. No crash, nothing!

CE / FCC testing has also been finished already. In case you're interested in the testing results, I've attached them to this post.

You can also see a quick video of an early prototype here:

How much does it cost and where can I get it?

It's around 35 EUR without VAT and excluding shipping, and you'll get a bit off when you order 2 or more adapters.

You can preorder it here:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/703-colecoplug-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision-preorder-ac-adaptors.html

How many will be produced?

We're planning a production run of 500, however, if there is a lot of demand, we'll likely produce more.

Got questions? Let me know here :)

em-6569.pdf

Edited by EvilDragon17
  • Like 8

Very nice! Just pre-ordered two!

Just curious, what kind of USB cable should I get for this? Do I need to worry about getting one with certain specifications?

Not really, any USB-C cable should work.

As usual, avoid the really cheap Chinese ones - if it isn't able to provide enough power to the adapter, it won't work.

That's why we used USB-C. Most cables are meant to be used with smartphones that eat a lot of power, so you won't have issues with them.

BTW: In case anyone who ordered only had expensive shipping services available: I now also added untracked shipping via postal mail. This is slower, but a lot cheaper (it does cost 3,70 EUR worldwide!)

Let me know if you'd like to switch to the cheaper shipping costs.

Edited by EvilDragon17

I am blown away by the ingeniousness of this! For years, many people have tried to recreate the ColecoVision power supply with bulky, noisy PC power supplies. Some have come up with incredible internal power supplies which are very nice.

But you and your team sir, have thought outside the box! Fantastic job with your ingenuity, as this makes it easy for ANYONE to make their classic ColecoVision PORTABLE! Furthermore, we never have to worry about burning out our coveted classic CV power supplies again, as USB chargers are UBIQUITOUS!

Nice work man. 8) 8) 8)

• Like 1

So is there a shipping cost? I went through the motions of adding one to my cart just to see if I could calculate the lower costing one you said you added and it said Free Shipping. I didn't go any further than just adding it to my cart so I don't know if that would change later in the process.

BTW: In case anyone who ordered only had expensive shipping services available: I now also added untracked shipping via postal mail. This is slower, but a lot cheaper (it does cost 3,70 EUR worldwide!)

Let me know if you'd like to switch to the cheaper shipping costs.

So is there a shipping cost? I went through the motions of adding one to my cart just to see if I could calculate the lower costing one you said you added and it said Free Shipping. I didn't go any further than just adding it to my cart so I don't know if that would change later in the process.

Yes. My order said the same thing, free shipping until I got further in the cart. In a nutshell, your options are going to be UPS or Fedex, each with a shipping cost of around the cost of the power plug itself (faster and traceable). Or standard post, which is less than $5 usd, but slower and no tracking.

• 2 weeks later...

I did.

I also got hosed on the manuals and the guy says if he finds them...He didn't say anything about missing manuals when he defined the product as never touched, unused and in near mint condition.

That said, that will be shelved on display in my collection while I use an every day unit.

I would like to order but ur link don't work

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaand here is an update:

PCBs should be finished early December, boxes will arrive here December 8th, cases will be finished December 6th (all details according to the manufacturer).

So we're in time for christmas! We will ship them as soon as we receive them, but we can't assure you that it will arrive everywhere in the world before christmas if you've chosen the cheapest shipping service.

We're getting there :D

• Like 2