IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Kickstarter is now live!

Bmack36

The kickstarter for the CollectorVision Phoenix is now live.

post-45248-0-97245000-1539220890_thumb.jpg

This is a 3d printed prototype. Kickstarter versions would be injection molded.

The CollectorVision Phoenix rises from the ashes and brings back the classic ColecoVision console for Modern TVs. Featuring 10 built in games, an exclusive game cart Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death, and SD cart slot, and more. Help support this project and spread the word by visiting

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

This is an open source system so other cores will be possible in the future.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 2

My video take on it:

So many of the cheapo, cashgrab kickstarter consoles instantly exceed all of their crowdfunding goals. It's a shame that when something that's so much more interesting comes along, instead of it becoming a viral success, I hear crickets from the normies/press.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

My video take on it:

So many of the cheapo, cashgrab kickstarter consoles instantly exceed all of their crowdfunding goals. It's a shame that when something that's so much more interesting comes along, instead of it becoming a viral success, I hear crickets from the normies/press.

Well, their past kickstarters had some hiccups. That might contribute to people not contributing.

• Like 1

Well, their past kickstarters had some hiccups. That might contribute to people not contributing.

Yeah, I'm also curious since this Phoenix kickstarter looks like it was set up to look like their first one.

Was it this kickstarter? Its listed under one of the 'collaborators' accounts, and seems to currently have some hiccups.

Damn, people had to wait three years to get the game?

It looks more like it's still a currently waiting thing. Some (most?) of the snes ones got out the door, but the nes backers are still waiting for the game to be finished, with the latest update in april--at least that's how I read it. I get the feeling there's at least one 'sydney hunter & the caverns of death' port in line before the colecovision one.

Very much hopeful this will succeed, but there are a few more moving parts that all have to line up, which I hadn't previously considered when I entered 'just take my money' mode. I wonder how they'd handle the pack-in completing at a different time than the console.

The previously released sydney hunter game is also built into the firmware--at least as I read it. I can't tell for sure what the text is below the 'sydney hunter' part on the pic, and there are a couple other games on there that I can't make out. I also don't exactly know what "over 10+" means in this context--am I having trouble 'reading between the lines' or something?

vgLagvX.png

Edited by Reaperman

Damn, people had to wait three years to get the game?

That, and when the SNES port was finally released, it had a lot of bugs and glitches. Like what looks like the palette reloading during rendering which causes bright flashes for a frame between most screens. This really detracts from the immersion level and would've been an easy fix to make. There's other glitches like the screen randomly scrolling into place when you enter some screens, and the lack of smooth scrolling on the lava. (Granted that last one isn't a glitch, but it would've been trivial to add it and make things look soo much nicer.) Not to pee on anyones' parade or anything, but I kind of expect a debugged game for the asking price.

There's several videos up about it on Youtube, but most of them are of the "OMG new SNES game!" variety, and seem to focus on things like the box art and manual, and other things that aren't related to the actual game itself. Once that wears off, what's the actual gameplay like? So far, no one has mentioned any of the obvious glitching or questionable play mechanics such as having to keep a button down to use the torch in the reviews at all, which is somewhat suspicious. Again, I am not trying to be negative but for the money and all the extra time it took, I was expecting a bit more.

• Like 5

So the initial rush of backing is over, and kicktraq is projecting 79% funding currently.

Swlovinist just popped his video out, and he's got a nice reach.

Additionally, the PRGE demo is probably what makes or breaks this thing.

I don't think there's been any mainstream press coverage yet.

aYK2u8o.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

That, and when the SNES port was finally released, it had a lot of bugs and glitches. Like what looks like the palette reloading during rendering which causes bright flashes for a frame between most screens. This really detracts from the immersion level and would've been an easy fix to make. There's other glitches like the screen randomly scrolling into place when you enter some screens, and the lack of smooth scrolling on the lava. (Granted that last one isn't a glitch, but it would've been trivial to add it and make things look soo much nicer.) Not to pee on anyones' parade or anything, but I kind of expect a debugged game for the asking price.

There's several videos up about it on Youtube, but most of them are of the "OMG new SNES game!" variety, and seem to focus on things like the box art and manual, and other things that aren't related to the actual game itself. Once that wears off, what's the actual gameplay like? So far, no one has mentioned any of the obvious glitching or questionable play mechanics such as having to keep a button down to use the torch in the reviews at all, which is somewhat suspicious. Again, I am not trying to be negative but for the money and all the extra time it took, I was expecting a bit more.

Indeed, that's the long and the short of it. I feel like it was too little, too late, on a project that was pitched as being far more complete at the time of funding than it apparently actually was. Fun game, though.

But hey, at least I didn't get a DVR card in a jag shell.

From the comment page

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso/comments

post-36731-0-74454400-1539708858.png

Does it come with an onboard BIOS or is the SD card the way to have any BIOS at all?

It was said it will have a BIOS that replaces the splash screen with the CollectorVision one, so I take that would be onboard.

Thanks for another pic of the red one. I really like that color scheme, it reminds me a little of that old nintendo soft-side carry case.

That's the best quality picture I've seen of it yet.

What's that device behind the second monitor? Some kind of homebrew trackball?

Yesterday was their 3rd best sales day, thanks largely to this booth, I'd wager.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

They have added a 2600 core which in and on itself seems a great idea, it kind of points to that CV alone may not be enough of a seller imho and probably the reason why kevtris bundled many 8bits cores into his NtMini (unofficially but).

The combo now looks a nice thing given it's all SD-loadable (no jb) ... time will tell.

I think they should add MSX and SG1000/SC3000 just as well because of CV similarity, the effort should be contained enough to not add too much to the dev time (I kind of remember that 8K/16K is really all that is needed for MSX games to run, on 8K many have been ported to SMS and on the 32K of the CV-SGM).

I reckon the more cores they add the less of a CV but in the end it's an FPGA based system, the more cores the merrier (assuming a quality job of course which seems the case), being reconfigurable is what distinguishes an FPGA system anyhow so may as well take advantage of it.