IGNORED

Atari 2600 Heavy 6er issue

atariaction

Just testing a heavy sixer. Without a joystick even plugged in the player 1 (left port) moves the player to the right. As in the right direction is locked on. I have taken the machine apart and tested all the caps on the board right by the joystick port and none seem shorted. All pins on the port seem intact. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

Edited by atariaction

Best Electronics carries the TIA chips. Best to call them or send them an email and inquire about this:

Atari NTSC/US "TIA" Custom Chip CO10444D $19.95

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm

Another option, and the one I do, is I try and find junker 2600s just for parts to have on hand. So if you can find a cheap junker it might be worth that as well. I know I picked up a lot of 5 2600s recently in various states of non-working for $5 each locally. The ICs alone in them are worth more than that these days.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Swapped 6532's and we are in business (sort of)...I put the system back together and not getting any power now. That heavy aluminum shield on the heavy sixers actually touches the circuit board....weird or intentional for grounding?. I will have to take it all apart again and see what happened.

Ahh ok so it IS grounding! It turned out to be the ribbon cable so game powers on again and the player 1 locked moving to the right is resolved!

I think I may need to replace player 1 joystick port now though. Sometimes if you move the controller plug a bit the fire button stops working (testing with driving paddles for the moment) or at least reflow the solder.

Edited by atariaction

Ahh ok so it IS grounding! It turned out to be the ribbon cable so game powers on again and the player 1 locked moving to the right is resolved!

I think I may need to replace player 1 joystick port now though. Sometimes if you move the controller plug a bit the fire button stops working (testing with driving paddles for the moment) or at least reflow the solder.

Holy shit Mike! Been a long time! If you need a DB9 port I'll send you one.

Holy shit Mike! Been a long time! If you need a DB9 port I'll send you one.

Haha yes indeed! I'm still kicking around but have gone hardcore into the pinball hobby so you will see me in those forums these days :) Learned a lot about repairing pins over the years so can use that for this kind of stuff now :) Thanks so much for the offer man. I will let you know. I may try to reflow the solder 1st. Will see if that works!

• Like 1

Check and see if the DB9 port is missing a piece (pin) where it connects to the controller you'll know then.

Likely not the case but good call. A joystick controller will move in all directions and button works no problem until you move the joystick plug in the port around a bit. Then some function is lost. Move it around again and function regained. It could also possibly be the joystick I am using. When I plugged it in it did not seem very tight at all. Pretty loose actually. I will have to test another joystick with a better plug.