IGNORED

ADAM Keyboards - A Few Questions

Ikrananka

I'm curious to know if there are any differences between the ADAM keyboards that came with North American ADAMs and those that came with the CBS ADAMs sold in Europe.

Sadly I still have never owned an ADAM and have never used one of the keyboards. So, are the keyboards any good? How do they feel to use? Any typical issues with them that have developed with age?

Edited by Ikrananka

All ADAM keyboards are identical no matter where they were sold.

The keyboard is outstanding... one of the best of it's time and still receives rave reviews from those new to the Adam.

The hand controller attachment was a brilliant idea by someone at Coleco and the hand controller can be used as a numeric keypad and cursor control in programs such as SmartWriter.

The feel is very sturdy and I still like it better than modern keyboards.

No common issues. They are built to last.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim - great info and much appreciated.

I don't want to buy a full ADAM system, just not enough room to collect any more large items, so I've been considering buying just an ADAM keyboard and a PC interface for it. That way I can use ADAM software in an emulator but with the keyboard giving me that authentic feel of an original ADAM.

I like the sound of that. I've been back in touch with David and will let you know if he'll be able to make a couple for us.

BTW - I'm also in the market for an ADAM keyboard cable, side tray and white controller. I'm looking for near new. Don;t suppose you have any you'd be looking to sell?

Cheers

Andrew

I like the sound of that. I've been back in touch with David and will let you know if he'll be able to make a couple for us.

BTW - I'm also in the market for an ADAM keyboard cable, side tray and white controller. I'm looking for near new. Don;t suppose you have any you'd be looking to sell?

Cheers

Andrew

I would also like to get one. If it isn't too late.

It does exist but it's one way.... hook up an Adam Keyboard to a PC. Or you could hook it up to the CollectorVision Phoenix using a USB to PS/2 cable.

That is a great invention to connect a 1983 ADAM keyboard to a Windows PC. Maybe one day someone well make a ColecoVision/ADAM cartridge slot that connects to a PC by USB cable.

Maybe since the ADAM memory consoles are breaking from old age there is not a demand. However it would be nice to have a Windows keyboard connected to a real ADAM memory console.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Modded PC Keyboards for use on the ADAM were done by Gary Bowser (Oasive Pensive Abducutors... remember the Adam Image Maker of which only 1 exists and Dale Wick owns) and a few others back in the 90s.

No real advantage as the ADAM Keyboard is a well designed piece of hardware that has stood up well to the tests of time.

• 4 weeks later...

If a ADAMNET to USB interface existed then one could use low cost $5 USB Windows keyboards on the ADAM memory console. Or even a ADAMNET to PS/2 adapter would allow a $10 Windows keyboard to be used. The ADAM keyboards are harder to find these days unless its bundled with the complete ADAM system.

As I mentioned above, a PS/2 Keyboard was converted for use with the ADAM. The mod was internal in the keyboard and then a PS/2-ADAMnet Adapter was made. I think this one was modded by Thomas Mackie.

post-25956-0-44446600-1542077761_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-08722100-1542077769_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-85435800-1542077776_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-98272700-1542077785_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought an ADAM a computer module that works, but unfortunately it has no keyboard. And damn the prices of the keyboards are more than I paid for the computer. 

Really a shame there isn't an easy way to get a USB keyboard or PS2 converter for this system. Looks like in a previous post the keyboard would need an internal mod. 

12 hours ago, the4thman said:

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought an ADAM a computer module that works, but unfortunately it has no keyboard. And damn the prices of the keyboards are more than I paid for the computer. 

Really a shame there isn't an easy way to get a USB keyboard or PS2 converter for this system. Looks like in a previous post the keyboard would need an internal mod. 

Ask on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group. There are a lot of people in that group that should be able to help you out at a fair price.

• Like 1