IGNORED

And the Winners Are...

I want to say thanks to everyone for the amazing participation in this contest.

It was a team work: enthusiastic contestants posting nice games, judges playing games in awe, and intvsteve taking all our crazy notes and compiling it into a readable post. :)

There are so many feelings in my heart, but words don't come, so I can resume it into a big and special thanks! :waving:

Edit: Of course, thanks to sponsors! now is their time to send gifts ;)

• Like 2

Update to the Update to Deep Zone:

• Forgot to remove the reference to Intellivoice in build_instructions.txt
  • Forgot to remove the 'Enhanced by Intellivoice' metadata flag in deep_zone.rom

Main download (which includes all ROMs) and individual download for Deep Zone have been updated once again.

Of note: These are super-subtle changes and in no way impact how the game plays! You will note, however, that the deep_zone-contest.rom, and the versions in the "build" folder, may require the ECS to be enabled, depending on how you invoke your emulator.

So for those who would like to compare scores from the 2015 and 2018 competitions, are the following assumptions correct?

2015: 5 judges * 8 categories * max 10 pts per category + 25 pts for source code = max 425 pts (?)

2018: 6 judges * 8 categories * max 10 pts per category + 30 pts for source code = max 510 pts

If so, the scores could be recalculated into percentage of maximum points, meaning in 2015 it ranged from 48% - 90% and in 2018 it ranged from 51% - 85%.

So for those who would like to compare scores from the 2015 and 2018 competitions, are the following assumptions correct?

2015: 5 judges * 8 categories * max 10 pts per category + 25 pts for source code = max 425 pts (?)

2018: 6 judges * 8 categories * max 10 pts per category + 30 pts for source code = max 510 pts

If so, the scores could be recalculated into percentage of maximum points, meaning in 2015 it ranged from 48% - 90% and in 2018 it ranged from 51% - 85%.

So, you are saying that, on balance, the scores in 2018 were lower overall than in 2015?

That could be because I did not judge in 2015. As I mentioned in my blog post on the topic, I did not judge "on a curve," so my scores were not too high. That's because my standard is that 425 (the perfect score) represents the best Intellivision game ever made, not the best of these bunch. ;)

I know that in 2015 I would have been pretty harsh on some of them too. Still, i don't want that to sound like I am some nasty judge that hates programmers -- on the contrary. That is precisely because I love the Intellivision and I admire all the contest participants, and I want to make sure they make the best games they can, and I know they can do great work. :)

-dZ.

The average score was higher in 2018 than in 2015, but the scores also were more tightly packed this time:

Maximum score 425 pts (assumed, not verified)

#1 game: 90.12% of maximum

#4 game: 80,47%

#6 game: 69.88%

#8 game: 60.47%

#13 game: 47.76%

Average score: 67.28%

Number of games with source code: 7.66 out of 13 (TIC-TAC-TOE received 16 pts for partial sources)

Maximum score: 510 pts (verified in first post)

#1 game: 85.10% of maximum

#4 game: 75.88%

#6 game: 74.31%

#8 game: 68.43%

#12 game: 50.98% of maximum

Average score: 69.90%

Number of games with source code: 10 out of 12

The average score was higher in 2018 than in 2015, but the scores also were more tightly packed this time:

Maximum score 425 pts (assumed, not verified)

#1 game: 90.12% of maximum

#4 game: 80,47%

#6 game: 69.88%

#8 game: 60.47%

#13 game: 47.76%

Average score: 67.28%

Number of games with source code: 7.66 out of 13 (TIC-TAC-TOE received 16 pts for partial sources)

Maximum score: 510 pts (verified in first post)

#1 game: 85.10% of maximum

#4 game: 75.88%

#6 game: 74.31%

#8 game: 68.43%

#12 game: 50.98% of maximum

Average score: 69.90%

Number of games with source code: 10 out of 12

Yes, but that's mostly because the lower score in 2015 was an outlier. Overall, your table reveals that most of the top games had a higher percentage of the maximum in 2015 than in 2018.

-dZ.

• 3 months later...

A bug?

:lol: LOL! I saw that also on my end during play-testing. There seems to be some weird glitches with the sprites.

Also, notice in the video when he does the first time, half the baddie sprite takes the card of the tombstone.

dZ.

Unfortunately I also noticed that Boot Hill seems glitchy sometimes, like the first round you play the scenery is corrupt or you can't shoot, but on second attempt it plays just as it should. This applies both to emulation and on real console (LTO Flash!) so I wonder if it is some kind of initialization problem which probably the judges would've noticed though perhaps not marked down on.