IGNORED

Yet Another Masterplay Clone

smbaker

21 minutes ago, geo said:

Would be fun to sit down and build one of these with someone showing me what to do.  I have soldered copper piping in the past and can program with Python, but I don't really know what to do with these.  Anyone that has built one live around Southeastern Idaho or Northern Utah?

I don’t live around there but it’s just basic electronic soldering. Use a temperature-controlled iron, a reasonably small chisel tip and 60/40 or 63/37 leaded solder. Take your time and that’s all there is to it. 

However, I would strongly recommend this *not* be your first experience building an electronics board. Buy a cheap kit of something simple from Sparkfun or someplace first. That’s because for these boards, the components are rather close together and the solder pads are small. It’s easy to make mistakes if you don’t have a feel for the technique. But if you have spent a little while practicing or building other more forgiving stuff first, it’s not difficult. 

Edited by DrVenkman

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I don’t live around there but it’s just basic electronic soldering. Use a temperature-controlled iron, a reasonably small chisel tip and 60/40 or 63/37 leaded solder. Take your time and that’s all there is to it. 

However, I would strongly recommend this *not* be your first experience building an electronics board. Buy a cheap kit of something simple from Sparkfun or someplace first. That’s because for these boards, the components are rather close together and the solder pads are small. It’s easy to make mistakes if you don’t have a feel for the technique. But if you have spent a little while practicing or building other more forgiving stuff first, it’s not difficult. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Were you still looking at either building these or the 3D printed controllers at some point to sell?

22 minutes ago, geo said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Were you still looking at either building these or the 3D printed controllers at some point to sell?

I’m looking at possibly buying a bunch of the thumb stick boards and building them to sell, along with my friend who has the 3D printing equipment and knowledge for cases. 

However I had an unexpected big home-related expense a couple weeks back and it’s going to be a bit until I get comfortable buying a big lot of boards, parts and supplies to do it. 

I will post here in the forum when/if that happens. 

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I’m looking at possibly buying a bunch of the thumb stick boards and building them to sell, along with my friend who has the 3D printing equipment and knowledge for cases. 

However I had an unexpected big home-related expense a couple weeks back and it’s going to be a bit until I get comfortable buying a big lot of boards, parts and supplies to do it. 

I will post here in the forum when/if that happens. 

Ok, thanks for the reply.  Why not kickstarter the first batch?

How much do you think you would be selling them for?

Just now, geo said:

Ok, thanks for the reply.  Why not kickstarter the first batch?

How much do you think you would be selling them for?

Sorry if I am crossing the two threads.  You can reply on this or the controller thread.

Would you ever consider making the MasterPlay clone adapter and selling it as well?