IGNORED

Why do people actively hate "pre-NES" consoles?

zetastrike

They are comparing yesterday with today’s standards.[/size]

Pretty much this. Anytime I see someone disagree with me on a game, or console, they almost always compare what I'm referring to modern day stuff. That's about 90% of the time. When I point that out it's a case of just make up stuff I didn't even come close to saying. Want examples, just look in any game.com topic for examples.

The NES is awful. Holding up the NES as. High water mark of video gaming is like claiming a box of stale cheez-itz is a 5 Star gourmet meal. 90% shovelware, hardware that collapses at the first speck of dust, flickers so much they created an entire generation of epileptics, and all of their same popular games are done objectively better on competing consoles. Rooting for the NES is like rooting for vanilla ice cream a'la mode.

I watched some of the video (not all of it, because it's tedious, twee and repetitive). Top Hat's complaint is that he gets fewer views when he talks about pre-NES topics. That says more about him and his audience than anything else, is that not obvious?

I haven't been subscribed or even paid attention to him in quite a while, but a lot of his earlier video's were about pre NES or lesser known systems, but he is a showman, being a youtube personality, a wrestler and god help us a politician ... he is going to give what the people want and they want nintwitdoh

The NES is awful. Holding up the NES as. High water mark of video gaming is like claiming a box of stale cheez-itz is a 5 Star gourmet meal. 90% shovelware, hardware that collapses at the first speck of dust, flickers so much they created an entire generation of epileptics, and all of their same popular games are done objectively better on competing consoles. Rooting for the NES is like rooting for vanilla ice cream a'la mode.

NES is my least favorite system, but its not awful, its a decent bit of kit for its time pulling off some pretty good stunts for its power and price points. It did kind of reinvent what a video game could be (not to be confused with a computer game)

its my least favorite system cause I find the games, even the most praised ones to be extremely difficult ... not due to challenge but to cheap shots and low blows, I dont mind a challenge but I don't like getting pissed off at a stupid game cause its unfair

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

Heh, I'm now convinced the mullet just comes here to hate. It's taken 3 months, but welcome to my block list.

I think in general you can tell....Someone hating on Atari was not there for it. Before their time I guess...Part of me can even understand why it would be that way, Though I could never agree, Given I Was There for it...Still, there are many great games that hold up, and are Amazing even after all these years in their own right,...But put into context, games like Dark Cavern, Pitfall!, Midnight Magic, Adventure and Yar's Revenge are even More impressive!

And (Business practices of the Big N aside) anyone hating on the NES certainly also lacks the context of just how impressive that system was when it first came onto the scene...Certain games on the NES blow my mind to this day, but that's because I remember the impact of them in the 80's...

• Like 4

I love the NES for its arcade port library. Some great titles in there that to me, make it worth owning today. My only gripe were games with no battery saves or password features like SMB. It frustrated me when I first got it. Dying in World 4 only to have to start all over again. I found that infuriating and something that would have been alleviated by a simple password after every level. That's why I enjoy the game more now that I can use save states in emulation. I came from a world of mostly single screen games so this was a massive new world at the time. I get that I'm in the minority and kids at the time were probably beating the game handily after a few tries but I never got far and just quit in frustration and played Duck Hunt instead. Then I'd put down the game pad and turned on my Atari 2600 and reveled in the simple fun of it.

• Like 4

My 1st home system was a Sinclair ZX81, you couldn't get much more primitive and from there i went onto the wonderful 2600..loved both at the time and the artwork of the 2600 era is something to be treasured.

But i cannot bring myself to actually play anything from the 8 bit era, be it 2600,NES, MS,7800, C64 etc.

I'm no snob and feel the same about Playstation 1 and Saturn games..

I can appreciate them for what they were at the time as i lived through those time periods.

I think the issue with the haters as it were, is they have little or no comprehension of just what people managed to squeeze out of platforms like the NES and 2600, as they never witnessed the progress the likes of aging old bores like myself.

I think in general you can tell....Someone hating on Atari was not there for it. Before their time I guess...Part of me can even understand why it would be that way, Though I could never agree, Given I Was There for it...Still, there are many great games that hold up, and are Amazing even after all these years in their own right,...But put into context, games like Dark Cavern, Pitfall!, Midnight Magic, Adventure and Yar's Revenge are even More impressive!

That's the frustrating thing...video games (and anything from the 90's) being judged by a generation that wasn't even born or were just babies back then. Those of us who were there remembered things differently than what's being put on YouTube videos which were based off Wikipedia. For example they always focus on how Sega failed with the 32X & Saturn but never mention how they succeeded with the Genesis in the West.

I mean you don't have to like Atari games but at least give the company credit for creating the video game industry to begin with.

And (Business practices of the Big N aside) anyone hating on the NES certainly also lacks the context of just how impressive that system was when it first came onto the scene...Certain games on the NES blow my mind to this day, but that's because I remember the impact of them in the 80's...

I actually liked NES games believe it or not. True there was a lot of derivivative stuff but that's true of any popular system. I mostly use my NES for playing rental games while still emjoying alternate systems, like having both a VHS tape player and a Laserdisk player for stuff worth owning.

The Big N's business practices were anothing thing and they've been documented in the Game Over book. I understand Nintendo did that to "save" the industry but they had to be forced to dial it back, via a class action lawsuit, in order to allow competetion that keeps any industry healthy.

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 2

lol whatever.. they can diss any gen they want. I'm personally very happy I got to witness as a video-game fan since the 70's, the evolution of the consumer video game market first-hand from the early days of mechanical and then B&W arcades everywhere (when I would run down to a hotel lobby excitedly holding a quarter because they had a Space Wars there :lol:), to the home console takeover through every major generation to the present. As someone who loves video games, it's a ride I wouldn't have given up for anything, and you better believe that every step of the way, the offerings of the day WERE AWESOME and everyone that was a fan during that time gobbled them up. I actually feel a little bad for those who didn't get the chance to live through every single one of those eras or perhaps joined a little later, because it's been a lot of friggin fun over the past 40 years .. just saying! So let them diss.. they know not what they say. :P

• Like 5

I love the NES for its arcade port library. Some great titles in there that to me, make it worth owning today. My only gripe were games with no battery saves or password features like SMB. It frustrated me when I first got it. Dying in World 4 only to have to start all over again. I found that infuriating and something that would have been alleviated by a simple password after every level. That's why I enjoy the game more now that I can use save states in emulation. I came from a world of mostly single screen games so this was a massive new world at the time. I get that I'm in the minority and kids at the time were probably beating the game handily after a few tries but I never got far and just quit in frustration and played Duck Hunt instead. Then I'd put down the game pad and turned on my Atari 2600 and reveled in the simple fun of it.

Dying and starting over in Super Mario Brothers is not much different to progressing to harder more challenging levels in early 1980s arcade style games, dying and having to start over. Replaying the game should be fun. If it isn't maybe you just don't like the game. A lot of newer games give the impression of value because they are full of content. The reality is many people only play them to get through them and never play them again.
  • Like 6

Dying and starting over in Super Mario Brothers is not much different to progressing to harder more challenging levels in early 1980s arcade style games, dying and having to start over. Replaying the game should be fun. If it isn't maybe you just don't like the game. A lot of newer games give the impression of value because they are full of content. The reality is many people only play them to get through them and never play them again.

QFT

You can press A+start to restart at the last world where you died. So if you croak in world 4, you can restart there by holding A and pressing start. This will always start you out on world N-1, though, but it is a pretty decent way to "save your progress" so to speak, vs. going back to 1-1.

• Like 2

90% shovelware, hardware that collapses at the first speck of dust, flickers so much they created an entire generation of epileptics, and all of their same popular games are done objectively better on competing consoles. .

Are you sure you're not describing the Atari 2600? Aside for the "hardware that collapses at the first speck of dust part. (And I like the 2600. It's just amusing to see Atari fanboys mocking the NES for having similar issues as other consoles of the time.)

arguably, the 7800 and the Sega Master System have vastly superior versions of many NES Arcade ports in most cases.

Often bad programming is to blame when the 7800 or SMS ports are far superior. For example, Ikari Warriors was ported to the NES by legendarily awful developer Micronics. It could have been so much better. But I'd take Jackal on the NES over any port of Ikari Warriors.

Some prefer SMS Double Dragon because it has two player co-op. Double Dragon 2 on the NES has co-op which shows that it could have been implemented with better programming.

Edited by mbd30

There are still some fun experiences to be had pre NES, but those games just cannot compete with the best NES has to offer. The NES offered a level of immersion in games that wasn't seen before. Then you add the much improved controller pad that was a night and day improvement over anything else that came before. There is a reason why the Classic NES Mini sold so well, because after all these years NES games still hold up. The graphics while dated by modern standards still look nice in a retro way. The characters are definable unlike say Atari 2600 where everything is a blocky mess. Then there is music in NES games. SMB and Zelda's main theme are probably the most recognizable video game music of all time. You don't really get that pre NES.

There were so many new gameplay mechanics found in the NES that totally changed the way people thought about games. It came to a point where Nintendo became synonymous with "Video Game". How many times have you heard people generically refer to anything video game related as a "Nintendo". Its easy to understand why its hard for a lot of people to enjoy most pre NES games when you consider how much ahead the NES was in comparison.

• Like 3

You can press A+start to restart at the last world where you died. So if you croak in world 4, you can restart there by holding A and pressing start. This will always start you out on world N-1, though, but it is a pretty decent way to "save your progress" so to speak, vs. going back to 1-1.

Are you kidding me? Why in the world am I only finding out this is a thing in 2018???

• Like 5

Are you kidding me? Why in the world am I only finding out this is a thing in 2018???

I've never felt that the first SMB was too long to not have saves, passwords or (officially) continues... especially if you use warps. It's just about the right length for me and my favorite in the series.

The original SMB3 on the other hand is far too long to not have a save feature.

• Like 2

There is always someone hating on some aspect of gaming, some era, for attention or other reason. I remember having to continuously "defend" my choice of platform back in my AMIGA computing days, took me a long time to realize there are people that will just never "Get it" especially if they did not experience it first hand and really even if they did in the end, like taste in music, movies, art everyone has their own taste and expectations and often nostalgia or memories attached to it, so these days I just try my best (I DO NOT CLAIM TO ALWAYS BE SUCCESSFUL AND I CAN BE JUST AS GUILTY, YES I AM WELL AWARE NO NEED TO POINT OUT EXAMPLES ;) :P ) but I do TRY to just let people like what they like and ignore those who don't. I have only issues when someone goes as far to "HATE" on something, at least something harmless as ones choose platform of entertainment. To me HATE is a strong word that should be reserved for very specific things. If you do not enjoy or like a period of gaming, pre-NES or hell pre-PS2 I have no problem with that, but to say you actually "hate it", I mean, what is that even about? Did it touch you in your naughty spots? Did a 2600 fall on your head as a child? If not why the hate? It is like people who do console smashing videos, I do not believe they actually hate it, but it is done for attention and reaction which is why all they deserve is to be ignored, ignore them, like what you like and game one and screw the haters. You will go frigging insane worrying what others like and enjoy, trying to change their minds or see your way, it simply is draining and not worth it, I promise you.

• Like 4