IGNORED

Why do people actively hate "pre-NES" consoles?

zetastrike

Some facts. Prior to the NES there were video game systems with multidirectional hardware scrolling, sound processors capable of rich music, diverse game genres including action-adventure, RPG, simulations, realtime strategy, and games with winnable endings.

Yeah, but not much though, and it was few and far between though I already did say coleco more than once there in my posts. That's about as far back I can find stuff as tolerable to enjoy for more than a few minutes or so. The earlier stuff, it's pick up and play, like an arcade game of that era, piss a few minutes and walk away. I didn't often find depth there until the Coleco and Nintendo times kicked in, that's when it really changed on the console side of things.

Yeah. This is from the early 60s. I can easily imagine this being music from a NES RPG or something.

I see your soothing sounds for baby and raise you one Black Metal for babies !

Yours was Awesome BTW and I could see that as an NES RPG soundtrack in some fashion...I also can imagine this done on an NES as RPG music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-BM2DPfZ0Y

Yeah, but not much though, and it was few and far between though I already did say coleco more than once there in my posts. That's about as far back I can find stuff as tolerable to enjoy for more than a few minutes or so. The earlier stuff, it's pick up and play, like an arcade game of that era, piss a few minutes and walk away. I didn't often find depth there until the Coleco and Nintendo times kicked in, that's when it really changed on the console side of things.

I think that only Intellivision fits the bill. The reason its library has aged better than other pre-8-bit gen consoles is because of its variety of unconventional-for-the-time genres.

The Colecovision doesn't actually have hardware scrolling.

The colecovision was trying to be the home arcade but did get some interesting third party developer support e.g. Fortune Builder, Alcazar the Hidden Fortress. Although the graphics might be too primitive for some, try Intellivision e.g. AD&D, Sub Hunt, B17 Bomber, Utopia, Treasure of Tarmin, Dreadnaught Factor, Truckin', World Series Baseball, Tower of Doom. Then there's the world's best selling video game system of 1984, the Commodore 64 e.g. Zak Mckracken, Pirates, Wasteland, Last Ninja 2, Ultima IV, Elite, Project Stealth Fighter (some later released for nes). Both Intellivision and C64 have hardware scrolling and decent sound chips.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

I don't really consider the C64 a video game console, it was a computer after all. That's to me like calling an old IBM PC/Compatible a console too just because it had a lot of games for it. The int, funny thing, I was at a goodwill yesterday and saw the original and Int2 in a case for $40 each and they wanted like $7 a game. Didn't feel right, left them. I don't recall seeing any on that list of games either.

And if the coleco doesn't side scroll in games, what kind of black magic did they use back then, let alone now in the last decade with those arcade and console game homebrew conversions? They all look and sound fantastic for an early 80s console.

I don't really consider the C64 a video game console, it was a computer after all. That's to me like calling an old IBM PC/Compatible a console too just because it had a lot of games for it. The int, funny thing, I was at a goodwill yesterday and saw the original and Int2 in a case for $40 each and they wanted like $7 a game. Didn't feel right, left them. I don't recall seeing any on that list of games either.

And if the coleco doesn't side scroll in games, what kind of black magic did they use back then, let alone now in the last decade with those arcade and console game homebrew conversions? They all look and sound fantastic for an early 80s console.

Well, the old IBM PC/Compatible was much more suited for serious business applications even though it could also play games. And the C64 was much more suited for gaming even though it could technically do other things. But I get your point about the C64 being a computer rather than a console.

The Coleco lacks hardware based scrolling which means that a lot of the scrolling is jerky. Clever programming might get around this limitation.

The Commodore 64 plugged into your TV, took cartridges, and it's primary application by far was playing video games. It sold for well under $200, competed directly against the Atari 5200 and Colecovision and won. It's a console. When Zelda was first released it came on a floppy disk.

• Like 1

The Commodore 64 plugged into your TV, took cartridges, and it's primary application by far was playing video games. It sold for well under $200, competed directly against the Atari 5200 and Colecovision and won. It's a console. When Zelda was first released it came on a floppy disk.

Counterpoint: The Commodore 64 also had a full keyboard, and did not come with a game controller such as a joystick. It was fully programmable, and you could add a floppy drive, a disk drive, a printer, or a modem.

If C64 is a game console, then Sony Playstation (released by Sony Computer Entertainment America) is a computer.

post-2410-0-53818400-1539714997.jpg

• Like 2

There are still some fun experiences to be had pre NES, but those games just cannot compete with the best NES has to offer. The NES offered a level of immersion in games that wasn't seen before. Then you add the much improved controller pad that was a night and day improvement over anything else that came before. There is a reason why the Classic NES Mini sold so well, because after all these years NES games still hold up. The graphics while dated by modern standards still look nice in a retro way. The characters are definable unlike say Atari 2600 where everything is a blocky mess. Then there is music in NES games. SMB and Zelda's main theme are probably the most recognizable video game music of all time. You don't really get that pre NES.

There were so many new gameplay mechanics found in the NES that totally changed the way people thought about games. It came to a point where Nintendo became synonymous with "Video Game". How many times have you heard people generically refer to anything video game related as a "Nintendo". Its easy to understand why its hard for a lot of people to enjoy most pre NES games when you consider how much ahead the NES was in comparison.

Of course, that depends on whether or not 'immersive' (often repetitive and laborious) adventure games are your thing.

Personally, I'd take Frenzy on the ColecoVision over anything I've played on the NES (and I've play a crap-ton of NES games).

As for the idea of people generically referring to anything video game related as a "Nintendo".... Consider that the same thing happened for decades with people referring to anything video game related as an "Atari".

• Like 1

Of course, that depends on whether or not 'immersive' (often repetitive and laborious) adventure games are your thing.

Personally, I'd take Frenzy on the ColecoVision over anything I've played on the NES (and I've play a crap-ton of NES games).

As for the idea of people generically referring to anything video game related as a "Nintendo".... Consider that the same thing happened for decades with people referring to anything video game related as an "Atari".

This, This, and finally THIS.

Immersive gaming is great if you're a kid, teenager, or young adult with nothing else to do. Not so much when you're an adult with precious little time for gaming. As much as I am constantly wowed by the later generation of games graphically, the fact that I have to sit through hours of FMV/cutscenes, read walls of boring ENGRISH text, etc. just to get to 2 minutes of shooting repetitive, predetermined enemies on a tracked environment on rails to a predetermined endpoint before the next 1/2 hour of boring ass plot - just kill me now.

If I get a spare hour or two of gaming on a weekend (which is rarer than I'd like), I want something I can jump into and play immediately, not have to read or watch plot to understand my motivations, etc. I just wanna shoot/kick/bazooka/jump over/race around shit for an hour, not write a damn thesis on it.

As for the whole "nintendo" moniker for all video games... that's primarily because (as I mentioned earlier) Nintendo aimed their marketing targets primarily at kids. little kids. little kids who would repeat their name, ad nauseum, as little kids do with everything that they get attached to.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

This, This, and finally THIS.

Immersive gaming is great if you're a kid, teenager, or young adult with nothing else to do. Not so much when you're an adult with precious little time for gaming. As much as I am constantly wowed by the later generation of games graphically, the fact that I have to sit through hours of FMV/cutscenes, read walls of boring ENGRISH text, etc. just to get to 2 minutes of shooting repetitive, predetermined enemies on a tracked environment on rails to a predetermined endpoint before the next 1/2 hour of boring ass plot - just kill me now.

If I get a spare hour or two of gaming on a weekend (which is rarer than I'd like), I want something I can jump into and play immediately, not have to read or watch plot to understand my motivations, etc. I just wanna shoot/kick/bazooka/jump over/race around shit for an hour, not write a damn thesis on it.

As for the whole "nintendo" moniker for all video games... that's primarily because (as I mentioned earlier) Nintendo aimed their marketing targets primarily at kids. little kids. little kids who would repeat their name, ad nauseum, as little kids do with everything that they get attached to.

Gee, was the same true of Atari when the 2600 dominated and Atari was synonymous with all things video games related?

Gee, was the same true of Atari when the 2600 dominated and Atari was synonymous with all things video games related?

Atari had practically no competition until 1981. (yeah, yeah, Intellivision - never really competed) Their whole popularity was based on "The arcade at home". Arcades were a place where teenagers and 10-12 preteens hung out and played video games. Not a lot of 4-8 year olds were hanging out in the arcades, putting their quarters on deck for "next" and smoking cigarettes listening to Queen and Cheap Trick.

The whole point of his post was that "Nintendo" became synonymous with video games, in an era where they had direct competition and we were already at the third generation of these kinds of machines. My contention is that the whole reason Nintendo "cornered the market" was because they targeted a broader audience, specifically littler kids than would normally be seen in an arcade, or playing games with violent war and shooting themes.