IGNORED

AV Modded 7800 through a RetroTINK 2X

gorfcadet

Just wanted to share my experience with the RetroTINK 2X and my 7800. I really like this thing and the 7800 and 2600 look great through s-video.

I'm putting my Saturn through its paces on it as well this weekend. My footage isn't quite as clear as what you'll get due to limitations of the capture device.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The composite looks markedly better on my tv. It isn't as good as s-video, but still quite the improvement. I'd make a video comparing, but my current capture device makes the composite look worse than it does on a real tv. Composite through the UAV mod then into the Tink looks light years better than composite ran directly to an HDTV. For the Turbografx 16 composite is my only scalable option and it looks really nice. The NES and Genesis look pretty ugly composite only.

Genesis - meh (Need Retrovision cables - I've got some preordered)

Saturn - good

T-16 - good

NES - poor

2600 - good

7800 - good

SNES - good

Jaguar - good

I don't know why my capture device makes it look worse than just running it to my tv; might be my cheap monitor. I really can't recommend the Tink enough. I may point a camera at my tv this weekend and demo some different consoles.

There is an s-video option for the TG-16...but the actual circuit I'm using in mine was never made public. Luke at Console5 developed it and had me test it out. But RGB amps became more popular so he never released it. Perhaps with the retroTink s-video might become a thing again.

• Like 1

There is an s-video option for the TG-16...but the actual circuit I'm using in mine was never made public. Luke at Console5 developed it and had me test it out. But RGB amps became more popular so he never released it. Perhaps with the retroTink s-video might become a thing again.

What is this sorcery you speak of? RGB for T16? I think I needs that. :)

What is this sorcery you speak of? RGB for T16? I think I needs that. icon_smile.gif

RGB from the Turbo Grafx is old news. The console puts it out natively but requires amplification and using SCART cables. Although you could in theory use a SCART to HDMI converter or something. I think my TurboDuo through the S-Video looks pretty darn good as is but yes there is RGB for the TG-16.

RGB from the Turbo Grafx is old news. The console puts it out natively but requires amplification and using SCART cables. Although you could in theory use a SCART to HDMI converter or something. I think my TurboDuo through the S-Video looks pretty darn good as is but yes there is RGB for the TG-16.

Yeah, S-Video looks great on the Tink; I'm just trying to get the best out of my T-16 without jumping down the SCART rabbit hole. I see cheap av adapters on Amazon, but nothing with s-video or component.

Yeah, S-Video looks great on the Tink; I'm just trying to get the best out of my T-16 without jumping down the SCART rabbit hole. I see cheap av adapters on Amazon, but nothing with s-video or component.

S-video is the one signal that isn't output already in some form from the TG-16 so to get s-video does require modding in a circuit to essentially combine the rgb lines to create the chroma output. There are other methods such as filtering chroma from the composite output, but they don't look as good. RGB amps can either be added internally and new outputs added for use with scart AV equipment, or the RGB amp can be added externally through a device that attaches to the expansion port off the rear of the TG-16. I have this method but it is really finicky about which cables to use and still requires scart in the end. As a result, although it does look really good, I find that the s-video looks more than decent and is a tad easier to work with in getting a final signal to my TV.

• Like 1

S-video is the one signal that isn't output already in some form from the TG-16 so to get s-video does require modding in a circuit to essentially combine the rgb lines to create the chroma output. There are other methods such as filtering chroma from the composite output, but they don't look as good. RGB amps can either be added internally and new outputs added for use with scart AV equipment, or the RGB amp can be added externally through a device that attaches to the expansion port off the rear of the TG-16. I have this method but it is really finicky about which cables to use and still requires scart in the end. As a result, although it does look really good, I find that the s-video looks more than decent and is a tad easier to work with in getting a final signal to my TV.

Ha! Guess what I never noticed about my modded T-16. Whoever modded it put s-video where the coax out used to be! I never noticed it because I've always used that unit in my office on the crt. DANG it looks good through svid!

Edited by gorfcadet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...