IGNORED

Sails of Doom, new multijoy game

R0ger

Finally I can announce my new multijoy game, Sails of Doom, is finished. It was released on FLOP62, discmag of Atariklub.cz.

You can get it from the magazine here: http://flop.atariportal.cz/index.en.php

You can discuss other magazine related stuff here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283991-flop-62-new-issue-of-the-floppy-disk-magazine

Here I want to show you the game itself, and answer any questions.

Basically it's a multijoy game for 2-8 players. You control small ship, and shoot other players. There is detailed guide on FLOP62.

The game does support NTSC. It is also playable in 2 players without multijoy, but it's quite watered-down experience. For the proper mayhem get 8 players.

Here are some pictures:

post-39663-0-83070000-1539617029.png

post-39663-0-20668300-1539617046.png

post-39663-0-28655600-1539617052.png

• Like 36

ivop sold very nice bare boards a year and a half ago, even though they require a lot of soldering I'd say they are rather simple to build. No one seems to sell finished ones even semi-commercially. Would be a nice candidate for Lotharek.

• Like 1

Might bring that idea up on our club meeting. I think we have some boards lying around .. maybe one of the boys can assemble one or two ..

But then we like our circuits naked, we have no solution for the box, AFAIK .. will come back about the issue on Friday ..

• Like 2

It looks really cool, unfortunately I'm a lone Atari gamer, not even a second person for two player games...I've no use for a multi-joy for this reason, too bad to, as there seem to be quite a few good looking multi-joy games coming out.

It looks really cool, unfortunately I'm a lone Atari gamer, not even a second person for two player games...I've no use for a multi-joy for this reason, too bad to, as there seem to be quite a few good looking multi-joy games coming out.

Sadly this was designed as party game from the start. I was thinking about some single player content, but in the end I mostly run out of RAM. As I need to draw 8 players, I use pre-scrolled gfx data, which is pretty memory hungry.

Anyway .. all the other projects I'm working on now are single player, so stay tuned ;-)

• Like 3

Hello guys

Krupkaj makes nice ones. And I hope HardwareDoc will finish his UltraJoyPro interface. UltraJoyPro is an intelligent version of the multijoy interface. He's using my idea to cascade multiple interfaces together. That way, you could plug multiple UltraJoyPro four port interfaces together to get eight, twelve or sixteen player versions. You wouldn't have to solder a zillion small parts together and you don't need to buy an 8 port interface if most of the time you can't even get 5 people together. But if you bring your four port UltraJoyPro to a meeting and if other people do so too, you can plug your interfaces together to play an 8 or more player game. The UltraJoyPro interface will have more features, but I forgot all but the one I like best (because it's my idea :D )

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

Hello R0ger

IIRC, this is krupkaj's version. It does not need a case as it is sandwitched between to pieces of clear plastic.

Sincerely

Mathy

Yes, this is the 'old' non-modular version. I've never actually seen one like this. Most people just leave them naked, and I've seen one boxed. I guess this could be done even with the new modular one .. or basically any board.

I have seen one like this and it looked good when it was new. Unfortunately, the acrylic (or whatever material it is) boards are prone to cracking around the screw holes so they may eventually fall off. A more flexible material would be a better choice. It has no effect on the functionality though, and the boards are sturdy enough even without a case.

A funny task would be to modify some games originally designed for MultiJoy and XL/XE to work with the old rugged 4-port Atari 800.

Sails of Doom is probably not a very good candidate, as RAM under ROM is used, right?

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

A funny task would be to modify some games originally designed for MultiJoy and XL/XE to work with the old rugged 4-port Atari 800.

Sails of Doom is probably not a very good candidate, as RAM under ROM is used, right?

Yes, all RAM is used.

I am not sure how many PCBs for MultiJoy Zdenek has home. I think there are 2 or 3 which could be finished soon. If there is demand we could order next 10 or 20 boards. Just write here if you really want one.

I would be interested in 1 as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk