IGNORED

Sails of Doom, new multijoy game

R0ger

Finally I can announce my new multijoy game, Sails of Doom, is finished. It was released on FLOP62, discmag of Atariklub.cz.

You can get it from the magazine here: http://flop.atariportal.cz/index.en.php

You can discuss other magazine related stuff here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283991-flop-62-new-issue-of-the-floppy-disk-magazine

Here I want to show you the game itself, and answer any questions.

Basically it's a multijoy game for 2-8 players. You control small ship, and shoot other players. There is detailed guide on FLOP62.

The game does support NTSC. It is also playable in 2 players without multijoy, but it's quite watered-down experience. For the proper mayhem get 8 players.

Here are some pictures:

attachicon.gifsod1.png

attachicon.gifsod2.png

attachicon.gifsod3.png

LOVE this little, sweet game!!!

Being simple, it is still challenging and addictive (I can hardly say so for many other games out there)…

And that splash-screen intro... the ship in the sunset, and reflection on the water... the music... LOVE IT (!!!)

8-)

KUDOS!!!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

How many of those Multijoy 8 interfaces been sold? The only game I ever made that supports it is Surround'Em, but I made it optional where it still works with the 2 standard joystick ports. The software detects the 400/800 OS and lets you play the game using 4 joystick ports on the Atari 800. I see some software is written for the interface. Maybe if a few good games were written, it will generate more interest.

How many of those Multijoy 8 interfaces been sold? The only game I ever made that supports it is Surround'Em, but I made it optional where it still works with the 2 standard joystick ports. The software detects the 400/800 OS and lets you play the game using 4 joystick ports on the Atari 800. I see some software is written for the interface. Maybe if a few good games were written, it will generate more interest.

BEAUTIFUL!

That is EXACTLY what I was wondering! I already have four ports on my 800/Incognito!

This is great!!!

Edited by Faicuai

Do we have an emulator that does NetPlay? That could be fun.

I don't have the upload speed at home, but if you have a relatively fast Windows PC and >5Mbps upload, you can use Parsec.tv to share Altirra out to someone on the internet. Parsec lets them use their controller in your emulator.

That's good point. Altirra supports Multijoy just about perfectly, and it might be good alternative for trying out Multijoy games.

Here is search for 'Multijoy' in game description in Fandal's archive: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=multijoy&butt_details_x=x

Some are new, some are mods for old games. I played Mashed turtles, Multris, Multiloops, Muxeso, Rubacka vo kopec, Helicops and Cervi, but not sure which version. I can recommend all of them !

Hello Philsan

In fact a 4 port interface like UltraJoyPro would be enough for my needs.

It's probably enough for most people. People would be more prone to buy a 4 port version than an 8 port version because of this. And it's probably smaller, making it easier to take it to meetings. And on those meetings, you'd plug them together to create an 8, 12 or 16 port version. (I've seen MultiJoy16 versions. They are HUGE. About as big as the business part of a Blackbox.)

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Zdenek

Unfortunately, the acrylic (or whatever material it is) boards are prone to cracking around the screw holes so they may eventually fall off.

It probably is acrylic (Plexiglass or PMMA). And it's probably prone to scratches too. And plastic washers would probably make it ugly.

Sincerely

Mathy

I bet a suggestion of a metal enclosure would get a complaint of the paint would scratch or it would damage other things because it's metal and heavy or sharp or too much weight to lug to meeting or.... ah can't win.... oh well clear shipping film... just saran wrap it done...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Fandal has 60 games in his archive, you can check it here: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=multijoy&butt_details_x=x

It is not easy to tell how many interfaces are out. I think I build around 15 and also sold +-15 bare boards to people in Czech, Slovak and Germany. But there are others who sold MultiJoy. I know about user here who made small run. It was possible to buy it from some ABBUC members in Germany.

Something that I mentioned is to use a similar interface to read those controllers with more than 2 fire buttons (Sega Genesis/MegaDrive 3 and 6 button controllers) channel the signal for bits into PORTA for each of the other fire buttons. I know these things do something with a series of rapid pulses through one of the channels. May need to look up the IO chip used inside the Sega/Genesis and see how it passes the data back to the computer.

Edit. I Google it. This is the page I found.

https://github.com/jonthysell/SegaController/wiki/How-To-Read-Sega-Controllers

Found out it sends a high/low signal through Pin 7 to toggle between reading the 4 directions and B C button. Setting Pin 7 to high selects reading A + Start. Would need to set up a circuit that swaps pins 5 + 7. Use Port A control to set output and set the bit for pin 5. Maybe the hardware guys to figure this out better.

As for game ideals for MultiJoy 8, maybe some crazy combination of Pong, Pinball, Break, and Warlords would make for an interesting game for more than 2 players.

Edited by peteym5

Finally I can announce my new multijoy game, Sails of Doom, is finished. It was released on FLOP62, discmag of Atariklub.cz.

You can get it from the magazine here: http://flop.atariportal.cz/index.en.php

You can discuss other magazine related stuff here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283991-flop-62-new-issue-of-the-floppy-disk-magazine

Here I want to show you the game itself, and answer any questions.

Basically it's a multijoy game for 2-8 players. You control small ship, and shoot other players. There is detailed guide on FLOP62.

The game does support NTSC. It is also playable in 2 players without multijoy, but it's quite watered-down experience. For the proper mayhem get 8 players.

Here are some pictures:

attachicon.gifsod1.png

attachicon.gifsod2.png

attachicon.gifsod3.png

Roger:

Any chance to detect / use Atari-800 (x4) Joystick ports, via OS/B or any other means?

There is also a Joysticks 3-4 activation option on INCOGNITO / ULTIMATE-1MB when running XL/XE OSs, but not sure if it is compatible or usable with PortB readings under such OS'es…

This is a SWEET LITTLE game that is better suited to Atari 400 / 800 HW, which in turn is a platform naturally (and better) equipped for multi-party games...

Edited by Faicuai

Roger:

Any chance to detect / use Atari-800 (x4) Joystick ports, via OS/B or any other means?

There is also a Joysticks 3-4 activation option on INCOGNITO / ULTIMATE-1MB when running XL/XE OSs, but not sure if it is compatible or usable with PortB readings under such OS'es…

This is a SWEET LITTLE game that is better suited to Atari 400 / 800 HW, which in turn is a platform naturally (and better) equipped for multi-party games...

I could certainly try 4 joy option. There is some room left, like page or two. It wont run on 800, because I need the RAM it doesn't have (AFAIK). But for modded machines or some hybrids it could be useful. So I can add the option, so you can manually select it. Without any detection. Worst case - it does nothing.

And I don't need actual OS for anything.

I could certainly try 4 joy option. There is some room left, like page or two. It wont run on 800, because I need the RAM it doesn't have (AFAIK). But for modded machines or some hybrids it could be useful. So I can add the option, so you can manually select it. Without any detection. Worst case - it does nothing.

This would require careful research.

1. Plain Atari 800 is probably out of question, as it cannot be fitted with 64 KB of usable RAM.

2. Atari800 with the Incognito board in Colleen (Atari 800) mode, as far as I know, can address only 52 KB or RAM.

3. Atari800 with the Incognito board in XL/XE mode might or might not allow access to all 4 joystick ports.

So, if I am right (and correct me if I am not), this might not be possible (unless the game is miraculously squeezed to 52 KB).

This would require careful research.

1. Plain Atari 800 is probably out of question, as it cannot be fitted with 64 KB of usable RAM.

2. Atari800 with the Incognito board in Colleen (Atari 800) mode, as far as I know, can address only 52 KB or RAM.

3. Atari800 with the Incognito board in XL/XE mode might or might not allow access to all 4 joystick ports.

So, if I am right (and correct me if I am not), this might not be possible (unless the game is miraculously squeezed to 52 KB).

Guys:

I can help you test, regardless of the bugs, issues, etc. I really don't mind...

In Incognito BIOS, you can enable Joysticks 3 & 4 when running in XL/XE mode (also having access to banked RAM, right from 64K base config.).

In Colleen-mode, you max out at 52KB linear space, but I would certainly try on XL/XE mode, first, if that is the easiest and most straight-fwd way.

The easiest thing to do now is to include a mini-code segment to check if Joy3 anc Joy4 are readable or not, before doing anything else.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

Guys:

I can help you test, regardless of the bugs, issues, etc. I really don't mind...

In Incognito BIOS, you can enable Joysticks 3 & 4 when running in XL/XE mode (also having access to banked RAM, right from 64K base config.).

In Colleen-mode, you max out at 52KB linear space, but I would certainly try on XL/XE mode, first, if that is the easiest and most straight-fwd way.

The easiest thing to do now is to include a mini-code segment to check if Joy3 anc Joy4 are readable or not, before doing anything else.

Thank you for the clarification with the Incognito board, Faicuai.

So it is possible, though the target audience is limited to Incognito owners.

• Like 2

Thank you for the clarification with the Incognito board, Faicuai.

So it is possible, though the target audience is limited to Incognito owners.

Remeber the ketpy stats. here:

one thing is the number of folks out there with multijoys, and another is the # of 800s with Incognitos.... In the Americas, I would venture to say that the latter is larger (800s + Incognitos).

Try exploring the idea, and see how far we can go! The game is ADDICTIVE!!! 8-))

• Like 1

I asked my wiser friends about the 800 and Incognito, but they say it's impossible to have 4 sticks and 64k at the same time. The memory management uses the same address as the extra joysticks. So there is simply no way it might work in Sails of doom.

How are you selecting number of players (Select Key?) You can use the option key to choose the controllers. What I did with much of my stuff was create a variable in page 0 called "OPT_CONTROL" / "OPTCTRL" with set values of 0,64,128,192. Use the BIT instruction with BMI, BVS, to branch out to the appropriate section of code to read the controller. Detecting OS is not difficult. But having it play on an Atari without MULTIJOY will be a nice feature.

Now are these boats traveling in a direction with the rotation changed by the joystick? One thing I got asked about was creating software that can also use Paddles or the 2600 INDY 500 Controllers. Many people purchased my stuff just because of that. I am not sure if other controllers work through the Multijoy interface.

Edited by peteym5