IGNORED

Games that benefit from the Pro Controller

madman

The reproduction Pro Controllers are on the horizon and there are sure to be questions about which Jaguar games support the Pro Controller, so this is an attempt to gather everything anyone needs to know about the Pro Controller in one thread.

Technically, any Jaguar game works with the Pro Controller, as the additional buttons map to existing buttons on the keypad. The L/R shoulder buttons map to 4 and 6 respectively while Z, Y and X map to 7, 8 and 9.

The goal of this is to make a list of games where the Pro Controller is (subjectively) beneficial, since again any game can work with it.

Air Cars - Z and X look L/R, Y toggles backward/forward views.

Alien vs. Predator - Z and X to sidestep L/R.

Atari Karts - The shoulder buttons are used for L/R sharp turns.

Baldies - L/R are Builder Baldy and Hand icon. Z is Soldier Baldy, Y is Zoom in/out and X is Go to/mark location.

Battlemorph - Weapon bays A, B, C and D are mapped to L, R, X and Z. Button Y selects twin shot.

Battlesphere - There are three different Pro Controller configuration options available in game.

Defender 2000 - The L shoulder button is reverse, A is fire weapon, B is thrust and C is fire smart bomb.

Downfall+ - The shoulder buttons are used to move.

Double Dragon V - The controls are fully configurable so you can use the 6 face buttons or 4 + the shoulder buttons.

Fight for Life - X is left sidekick, Y is high kick, Z is small uppercut (double it for a left/right combo). The shoulder buttons perform a sidestep.

Full Circle: Rocketeer - The shoulder buttons are used for thrust and fire.

Highlander - The L/R buttons rotate Quentin in either direction. The X and Y buttons are dodge right and left respectively. The Z button allows you to take a quick jump backwards.

Impulse X - The shoulder buttons move the paddle.

Loopz - The shoulder buttons rotate the active piece.

Missile Command 3D - In 3D Missile Command the Z or L buttons will change the special weapons and the X or R buttons will use the special weapon. In Virtual Missile Command the shoulder buttons change bases.

Myst - The shoulder buttons allow you to turn pages in books.

NBA Jam TE - The shoulder buttons are used for turbo.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - You can use the X, Y and Z buttons to select your active weapon.

Primal Rage - The Z button is High Quick, Y is High Fierce and X is High Power. You must select the 6 button config in the Modify Controls menu.

Protector/SE - The shoulder buttons activate hyperspace.

Robinson's Requiem - The L/R buttons strafe left and right.

Ruiner Pinball - The shoulder buttons will nudge the table left/right.

Skyhammer - The shoulder buttons will move the ship L/R. The Z and X buttons move the ship down and up.

Super Burnout - The shoulder buttons are used for shifting down and up.

Total Carnage - The shoulder buttons are used for firing left and right respectively.

Towers II - The shoulder buttons are used for side stepping.

Worms - Y will center on the current worm.

---

I'm trying to keep this to only games where the additional buttons add value/convenience. For example in Total Carnage I left out the Z, Y and X buttons because they only add partial functionality, but the shoulder button shooting is helpful. If a manual mentions Pro Controller support those are included here. Also if Al or another mod can give me unlimited editing on this post I can keep it updated to which games we think make best use of the Pro Controller.

• Like 22

AvP: you can strafe with X and z and have map access on y

Iron soldier 1&2: Quick access to the weapons, for example the fist on X or z to smash buildings.

Battlesphere has a dedicated setup for the pro controller. I use: Shoulder buttons for rolling, X speed down, z speed up, y changing weapons.

I always thought it very useful for these games.

• Like 2

AvP: you can strafe with X and z and have map access on y

Iron soldier 1&2: Quick access to the weapons, for example the fist on X or z to smash buildings.

Battlesphere has a dedicated setup for the pro controller. I use: Shoulder buttons for rolling, X speed down, z speed up, y changing weapons.

I always thought it very useful for these games.

Yeah, I was aware of AvP and IS, I just thought they didn't really seem like worthwhile upgrades vs the keypad. I'd be interested in hearing what others think. Also in Battlesphere can you customize the controls or are there a few built-in configurations to choose from? I couldn't find a manual scan online, I guess I can check YT videos.

Yeah, I was aware of AvP and IS, I just thought they didn't really seem like worthwhile upgrades vs the keypad. I'd be interested in hearing what others think. Also in Battlesphere can you customize the controls or are there a few built-in configurations to choose from? I couldn't find a manual scan online, I guess I can check YT videos.

I understand, but I really thought it was an improvement, for example the strafing made navigating the hallways much nicer when I wouldn't use it at all before on the keypad or the A+left/right combination.

With Iron Soldier it doesn't make such a big difference but it was still so convenient that I always used the possibility.

As for Battlesphere I would have to check, but I think they offered a few different presets... No user customization.

+1 for AvP with the ProController, back in the day I greatly preferred it even though you couldn't strafe with the shoulder buttons.

Classic Defender in Defender 2000 mimics the arcade controls somewhat with the Pro.

https://atariage.com/Jaguar/manuals/Defender2000/m_Defender2000_12.jpg

Edited by skip
  • Like 1

Hello!

Impulse X uses the shoulder buttons to move the paddle faster left and right.

Impulse X - The shoulder buttons increase paddle speed in either direction.

This isn't correct, the shoulder buttons of the ProController (or buttons 4 and 6 on all controllers) just work the same as Left and Right on the thumbpad, they don't have different speed values than Left and Right (however, you can combine them with C to double the basic speed).

Kind regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

Props man for making this thread, it will save many questions about the controllers as you say which are "on the horizon." Since I have a real Pro Controller already I'll have to check some of these out.

I guess as an ad in there is that ABS file for Doom that also allows for straffing left and right, tho that's not an original game and is just the skunk version that is accessed in.

I also heard that the shoulder buttons allow shoving on Barkley Shut Up and Jam but I cannot confirm that. If someone can confirm that then it can be added too!

Edited by UHATEIT

I also heard that the shoulder buttons allow shoving on Barkley Shut Up and Jam but I cannot confirm that. If someone can confirm that then it can be added too!

The fan made SUJ manual doesn't mention that and there's no other button that performs that action. The SNES version also doesn't have that option. But I suppose it's possible.

I'd still like anyone with Battlesphere to chime in if they could.

Alright I just plugged my Pro Controller in and Battlesphere and here is a screen shot of the Pro Controller settings in Joyspad Setup. Looks like it's Left Roll and Right Roll and then Z is weapon - Y is pickle and X is weapon +.

Well after a near heartattack after quite a few red screens of death (looks like the gold didn`t keep some of the contacts from oxidating) I managed to take a look at my BSG and aside from the mentioned configuration there are two more presets for Battlesphere with pro controller.

post-1084-0-14581700-1539854696_thumb.jpg

post-1084-0-16989100-1539854720_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well after a near heartattack after quite a few red screens of death (looks like the gold didn`t keep some of the contacts from oxidating) I managed to take a look at my BSG and aside from the mentioned configuration there are two more presets for Battlesphere with pro controller.

Very true. You can adjust them to those other settings. I wasn't sure what you post but for me the way the ABC was organized seemed the most logical for the XYZ usage. Some of the configs I thought wtf who would do that!

Very true. You can adjust them to those other settings. I wasn't sure what you post but for me the way the ABC was organized seemed the most logical for the XYZ usage. Some of the configs I thought wtf who would do that!

Interesting, for me the first one in my post works for me. I just need one weapons button to cycle through the weapons, accelerate and decelerate are handy on x and z and besides firing you can choose your target directly or switch to the next nearest ship. This made sense to me. Seems it is good that there is a choice then. :-)