IGNORED

Space Harrier Update 2018

Sheddy

Absolutely!... But here's the catch:

1. Monitor's black-point itself MUST be calibrated for standard NTSC signal:
    • You need colorimeter, or SMPTE pattern displayed from a source via SAME video interface of Atari (either Y/C or Composite), and then adjust Brig/Contr., to make sure your blacks are as black as they can be, without killing dynamic range.
    • This requires understanding how the Contrast function is applied by your monitor, as well as the Brightness:
      • Do you see highlights AND shadows boosted up?
      • Do you see brighter highlights and darker shadows?
  2. Row #0 of (Atari) ColorMap utility shows a 16-shade gray-scale, starting with #0 as being "black".
  3. A preliminary step (not mentioned on my previous related post) is about Atari's own BLACK-POINT calibration:
    • Patch #0 of Row #0 is set to match Monitor's BLACK-level (e.g. patch # 0 should NOT be visible ABOVE the monitor's own black, as set in step #1, or at least, should be VERY close).
    • This is VERY important to naturally maximize contrast and potentially improve gamma response, too.

It turns out that I had already done the above, and STILL see Space Harrier's "black-levels" not being true to calibrated levels. In other words, anything else I do at this point will corrupt the (correct) black-level derived from above adjustment.

In any case, I would still like to see Space Harrier's set to Atari's true (or nominal) black-level, as shown on Patch #0 , Row #0, in ColorMap matrix. I wonder how bothersome the flicker would be, as I can't see ANY flicker through DVDO iScan HD engine, except when displaying the Dragon's segmented body.

Special for you :)

space-harrier-black(64K).zip

• Like 10

other issues...

thank you screen with Space Harrier Logo scroll up sometimes occurs before title screen...sometimes it doesn't...you can't read it unless you are speed reader. could it be a timer difference between 50/60 for duration...

sometimes title screen animations do not occur or are frozen, pressing reset clears the condition as it comes up again..

I've seen this animation freezing. Do you recall if it was after pressing Reset, maybe in quick succession?

It's not ideal but I can live with that if that's the only time it can happen.

The credits splash screen at power-on only is deliberate. I figured people can start up again if they really want to have a good read, rather than shoving it down their throats every time!

Since the "likes" don't show up unless using desktop site, just wanted to say thanks for the compliments and feedback from everyone. Much appreciated.

@R0ger

It's not much different than the original, there's some source code floating about here somewhere. But basically, it's 2 joined channels at 1.79Mhz so the IRQ can be timed exactly to the scanlines, rather than all channels in 15khz.

As it's Antic D IRQs can interleave with the DLIs without much affect.

• Like 5

Since the "likes" don't show up unless using desktop site, just wanted to say thanks for the compliments and feedback from everyone. Much appreciated.

@R0ger

It's not much different than the original, there's some source code floating about here somewhere. But basically, it's 2 joined channels at 1.79Mhz so the IRQ can be timed exactly to the scanlines, rather than all channels in 15khz.

As it's Antic D IRQs can interleave with the DLIs without much affect.

I see ! Smart ! Gotta try. Thanks !

Changes since 2011 release, in no particular order:

-RastaConverter based title screen

-Object shadows

-5-bit samples with higher sample rate

-More continues allowed

-Boss names show on stage 18

-Fix crash/corruption that can happen if a bullet homing onto a ground robot bounces down off hitting indestructible scenery

-Updated WiWi Jumbo end boss graphics

-Saves Stage unlocking back to Cart

-Start key works as start(!)

-Cheat Easter egg

-The big "nuke" explosions

-More attract/demo stages

And what can we trigger the easter egg ?

• Like 1

Played the 2018 upgrade today. It is fabulous to see this game, which is actually one of my favorites, is updated in 2018.

I noticed a few things though on my PAL machine. The black-shadows are slightly distracting me. Am I the only one that experiences this? I can't remember I had this with the previous version.

Sometimes when a tree is set on fire and explodes the explosion is showing when the tree was already out of screen. This also distracted me a bit, which I did not notice this much in the previous version.

Perhaps it is closer to the original, so I have to get used to it, but for some reason it felt less smooth.

Tested on real 130XE, PAL on a CRT Television.

Perhaps it is just me, if so, leave it this way! I love the update. The digitized sound is awesome and the title screen is really amazing.

• Like 3

I think it's pretty discoverable, so for now I'm just going to say you need to focus on the title screen.

I've found the letter H, but I'm not sure if I triggered it...didn't notice anything...still trying...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Ey Sheddy, any chance of adding the hydraulic chair as well?

This is a very common mistake, there are no arcade games with hydraulics,

Any cabs that moves like Space Harrier and Outrun simply use electrical motors. Hydraulics would be waaaayyyy too complicated and expensive.

Adding software control for these motors would be easy enough....getting the proper signals out would also be possible for sure.....

post-25272-0-01211900-1540423665_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

horsey quarter and helicopter games can be electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic.... :) not my kind of games though

here is some silliness

https://www.bmigaming.com/games-video-motion-simulation-games.htm

but you all want this g sim chair!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

Played the 2018 upgrade today. It is fabulous to see this game, which is actually one of my favorites, is updated in 2018.

I noticed a few things though on my PAL machine. The black-shadows are slightly distracting me. Am I the only one that experiences this? I can't remember I had this with the previous version.

Sometimes when a tree is set on fire and explodes the explosion is showing when the tree was already out of screen. This also distracted me a bit, which I did not notice this much in the previous version.

Perhaps it is closer to the original, so I have to get used to it, but for some reason it felt less smooth.

Tested on real 130XE, PAL on a CRT Television.

Perhaps it is just me, if so, leave it this way! I love the update. The digitized sound is awesome and the title screen is really amazing.

Thanks!

Yeah, the shadows are more subtle on the arcade machine. The transparent effect was too noticably flickery on the Atari unfortunately. I guess the idea was to help judge the distance, but it is not particularly helpful or necessary.

You mean a tree going off the sides that has just been shot? The big explosions are bigger than the tree so it is possible the edges will show.

Frame rates are the same - quite low! I suppose you might see slow down more often in a busy situation because of the shadows.