IGNORED

Space Harrier Update 2018

Sheddy

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

Yeah, the shadows are more subtle on the arcade machine. The transparent effect was too noticably flickery on the Atari unfortunately. I guess the idea was to help judge the distance, but it is not particularly helpful or necessary.

You mean a tree going off the sides that has just been shot? The big explosions are bigger than the tree so it is possible the edges will show.

Frame rates are the same - quite low! I suppose you might see slow down more often in a busy situation because of the shadows.

Hi Sheddy,

Hmm... I think what I thought were the trees, seems to be another issue. It looks like some kind of random explosion or at least different compared to the 2011 version. To me it feels like a bug... but I might be wrong.

I tried to make a video (please set youtube to 1080p)

It is taken with smartphone, recording from CRT television. It is PAL.

I hope you can see what I mean. I tried to edit the movie so it is easier to understand what explosions I am talking about.

Greetz

ProWizard

Hi Prowizard,

Ah, I see what you're referring to now. Yes, there is a new big explosion for things on the ground. It seems to be working as expected from your video. There is a 1 in 4 random chance of it happening as long as things are not very close and in the distance. Yes, it can sometimes get in the way of seeing things, but it is in the arcade game.

• Like 4

Hi Prowizard,

Ah, I see what you're referring to now. Yes, there is a new big explosion for things on the ground. It seems to be working as expected from your video. There is a 1 in 4 random chance of it happening as long as things are not very close and in the distance. Yes, it can sometimes get in the way of seeing things, but it is in the arcade game.

Ah ok. I must say compared to the 2011 version I not find this an improvement. But that is probably personal. I also liked the less visible shadows in the 2011 version.

So I think I stick with the older version, which is absolutely fabulous already.

No problem! The 2011 version is extremely cool already!

Thanks

Marius

• Like 2

Yes it is part of the arcade, but the chances of it happening in the arcade seem to have been less... maybe a 1 in 6 chance or whatever number that works best in the engine would be useful..

It's hard to compare as it's easier to hit the scenery in the Atari version. (I honestly don't know how the bullets miss the scenery so often in the arcade one. They seem to have some pretty funky logic). But if you want to see what 1 in 6 chance is like, please find attached.

space-harrier-1in6-black(64k).bin

• Like 3

Is there a xex version for computers with RAM expansion?

Not this version. It would take a lot of work to make a 1024K xex. I'm not sure if Fandel managed it with the 2011 version in the end.

How long does it take to load a 1024K program even with a high speed loader?

I just don't like the idea of that.

I would want to rewite it to use less RAM, which would be much, much more work.

It's hard to compare as it's easier to hit the scenery in the Atari version. (I honestly don't know how the bullets miss the scenery so often in the arcade one. They seem to have some pretty funky logic). But if you want to see what 1 in 6 chance is like, please find attached.

Not that I had any real complaints before, but this new version seems just about right. :)

• Like 3

If this version means less chance of the big explosions, then I'll stick with what I have, I love them and would like them more often! The whole point to me is big explosions in the heat of the action that block your view! The huge sprites in this game are nothing but a delight to me, not something you often get on the Atari 8-bit or even 16-bit for that matter! If it happens more often than the arcade, I don't care, I want more! How about a version where half the time it's the huge 1?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

The last version is indeed truer to the arcade, and as it happens, still gives spurts of the big explosions just as it should. In the spirit of the original project and it's intent now fulfilled I find I really am enjoying the latest offering. Way to go!

I love it!

I of course run on real hardware.

The emus still don't quite do things like the Atari. For some software It might be due to methods of random number generation, the Atari using two distinct ways of getting such and can be combined. Sometimes it's how the emus don't produce the sound quite the same way. It's just a little off, not quite plumb....

Anyway back the this most excellent rendition, the latest of which appears as sights being dead on in my humble opinion.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I must say that after playing the 2018 version for a while I start to appreciate the big explosions as well. In this story an important part to consider is the fact that I have played the 2011 version hundreds of times. I really love that version and I got used to the 2011 version. I was not comparing it all the time to the ORIGINAL Arcade game, but more exploring it as an ORIGINAL Atari 8bit game. As soon as I played the 2018 version I thought: huh there must be something wrong.

So no discussion or problem at all should exist about this. Both versions are awesome and I absolutely love Space Barrier on a8.

• Like 1

So I need an Atarimax cartridge to run it in real hardware right? Any other cheaper alternative? Actually, I might consider a more expensive alternative like ultimate or any other cart... I guess AVG cart can make it work, right?

I regret not getting an AVG cart when I had the opportunity....

What is attract mode?

It is in reference to any game that shows some sort of in-game demo, the computer or arcade console playing, before you start, showing off the game to "attract" customers/players...some are better than others...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

So I need an Atarimax cartridge to run it in real hardware right? Any other cheaper alternative? Actually, I might consider a more expensive alternative like ultimate or any other cart... I guess AVG cart can make it work, right?

I regret not getting an AVG cart when I had the opportunity....

It will run on any cart solution that can handle AtariMax images... with the caveat you won't be saving scores or unlocks on some of them. but still enjoyable. Just grab some Atarimax 5 packs.

It requires an 8Mb cart, so it will only work on the 8Mb AtariMax carts or the Ultimate cart. It will not work on the Uno or AVG cart.

I thought AVG has 1MB(ytes) / 8Mb(its) dedicated RAM for the cart image space and so should be able to handle this, assuming the mapper is implemented?

The 64k.car and 64k-black.car work on my AVG cart , that's how I've been running them, I guess the latest .bin file needs to be converted to .car in order to work on a AVG cart ?

Edited by Lastic