IGNORED

Space Harrier Update 2018

Sheddy

4 hours ago, siccoyote said:

I wish there was a 128k cart of this

You need an 8MB MaxFlash cartridge or something like an Ultimate Cart than can run 8MB MaxFlash cartridge images. 

15 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

they are 8Mbit, 1 Mbit.... do the math and you will see how many K.... they are not as big as you think...

I think that I did know that.  Too large for the UNO Cart nonetheless. 

10 hours ago, SS said:

You need an 8MB MaxFlash cartridge or something like an Ultimate Cart than can run 8MB MaxFlash cartridge images. 

8Mb, also that is why I said  "even if it was just a couple of levels demo." I'd bet the graphics for the levels take up a large chunk of that 1MB.

Hell I'd be happy if they just ripped out the music and graphics for the later levels to make it fit, then the game just crashes when it gets to where they are needed.

Edited by siccoyote

• 1 year later...

Finally played the 2018 version on my freshly arrived SIDE3 cart. Simply copy the .car file to my SD cart, popped it in and boom almost instant loading and playing. The updates are totally incredible....to an already incredible accomplishment. Apart from all this, it's really fun to play and keeps me coming back to get further into the game....

And big thanks to Candle, Lotharek and JFC for their brilliant work on SIDE3 and U1MB. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

It uses an 8Mbit/1MByte cartridge but runs on 64K machines.

As Wrathchild mentioned 1mb games like Space harrier (as with Atariblast!, Onescape, Flob etc) will run off Atarimax flash 8mbit (1mb) carts as well as multicarts than can mount a 1mb car image. So Side3, avg, subavg, Ultimate cart. 

This is because these particular games and the large amounts of data in them, use a banked ram structure (afaik) . So even if you have a 64k machine it'll run in that format as a result because it uses that aforementioned carts onboard storage once the car is mounted. (Excuse my explanation as I may have got the terms wrong, but in essence I think this is how it works). 

The likes of Prince of Persia however, because of the need for all 128k of computer ram to run the game (all that lovely character animation and level data, etc), simply can't run on a machine with anything less than 128k. It doesn't use banked ram. 

Because of the wide availability of these aforementioned cart based mediums (eh Atari max flash), and multicarts that can mount 1mb car it opens up the possibilities for games like these which also load instantly. Means we can have amazing content and many more levels. I hope to see more banked ram games like this in future. :) I believe a good majority of A8 owners have avg, subavg, side3, Ultimate cart and max flash 8mbit carts. Their may well be even a poll. If not. I might start one about them out of curiosity. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JagChris said:

So it is. My bad. I thought it was a commercial release back in the day 

I just read up on it. Seems it was a 2011 release. I to had assumed the Commodore had gotten a 90s release of pop, although I'd assumed it was a 128k game from the outset for the c128 only.

See here if interested:

https://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/10/prince-of-persia-c64.html

The A8 version of pop rocks!!! 😉😁

On 1/3/2024 at 1:58 AM, JagChris said:

This takes a meg memory upgrade and POP requires 128k on Atari machines.

Both this and POP run on stock C64s. What's the reason for the memory discreoancy?

Programmers only optimize when forced.   Since memory upgrades and emulators are widely available,  there's no real incentive to make it all fit in a stock 48K or 64K system, like there would have been for C64 retail releases of these games BITD.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:38 AM, BobAtari said:

Attached is a .ROM format version that works on the Retroarch A8 emulator, which the .CAR and .BIN versions don't.

space-harrier-black.rom 1 MB · 12 downloads

The CAR file works fine with Retroarch. If anything it works better because the core doesn't need to ask for a cart type. 

Space Harrier, Black Edition (2018) (Chris Hutt) [MaxFlash 1M].car

21 minutes ago, woj said:

I just tried it yesterday on my GPI case with RPI Zero 2 running RecalBox 9.1 and it worked just fine!

Don't know what to tell you. I'm running Retropie, maybe that's different. But it sure didn't work there. Anyway, now there are lots of different versions for people having any problems to try.

Edited by BobAtari

I've tried that CAR file on Retroarch on RetroPie, Batocera, macOS, Steam Deck and various emulation handhelds. It works fine. 

You have a problem with your configuration. 

BTW the .ROM and the .BIN is exactly the same file, just a different file name. The .CAR is also the same cart data, it just has a small header at the front of the data telling the emulator what cart type to use. There's literally no difference in the code at all, and the atari800 core knows how to read CAR files.

And just for more fun, your ROM file is actually a CAR file! It's identical to the CAR file I posted, it's just been renamed to ROM, which strictly speaking would be wrong. It needs to have the header removed to be a 'rom' file.

Have you set your core options correctly in Retroarch? I'd set it up as a 130XE or maybe a "Modern Atari with 576K" just to make everything as compatible as possible. I also set mine to PAL by default but that's just because I like homebrew and demoscene and most of that is from the PAL region.

If you are using a very old version of RetroPie you might not be able to see CAR files, they were missing from the RetroPie configs for a long time, I sent a pull request to add them back in 2017 when I noticed that it wasn't included. 

• Like 1

It bothers me that you are spreading misinformation. The CAR file works, you are wrong, so is your RetroPie configuration.

Those "identical" files are identical, as in, I compared them in a hex editor and every byte is the same, so what you are doing is offering up a misnamed file and saying "use this, it works, the others don't" when you are actually spreading a bad file that per-chance loads despite your incorrect RetroPie setup.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 4:07 PM, zzip said:

Programmers only optimize when forced.   Since memory upgrades and emulators are widely available,  there's no real incentive to make it all fit in a stock 48K or 64K system, like there would have been for C64 retail releases of these games BITD.

You'll notice there are nowhere near as many graphic and audio assets on the C64 as on the arcade version, as there's no way they'll fit in a single 64K load. Quick cash in port on all home computer versions back in the day sadly. But you can't really blame them for not wanting to release it on 10 disks

• Like 3
  • Haha 1