IGNORED

XF551 Mixed-Original Parts Bare PCBs

Dropcheck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After using the 551 board for 6 weeks to test different 3.5 drives; I decided that I would finally install it in a case with a 3.5 drive mech. After getting it in the case, I booted up with MYDOS and tried to format a disk. The process seemed to be working but then I got an error 163. The same thing happened with 3 other disks. After experimenting with several other disks, I found that it would only boot with MYDOS, I assumed that was because the MYDOS disk was double density. If I set the drive as drive 2, and boot drive 1 with DOS 2.5; the computer doesn't even acknowledge that there is a drive 2. Is this also because of the double density of the 3.5 drive. I have tried two different ROM B ICs and get the same results. I can't format a disk. I tried ten different disks and get the same results. Any suggestions.

Maybe some MyDOD setting? I use double sized double density diskettes the ones with square hole in one corner only.

And I set parameters with p in the menu. I don't remember the exact sequence of parameters to get 720kb....does somene know/remember?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I have a success rate of about 50% when building my own flat cables, is there a special tool or technique for pressing the cable onto those pins that penetrate the insulation.

You want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Computer-Crimping-Ribbon-Connectors/dp/B073P6HD9B/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ribbon+cable+crimper&qid=1565963869&s=gateway&sr=8-4

61CE%2BoI6X8L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

This is almost the exact same tool I use to do just about all my IDC/ribbon cable crimps. 

BITD there were ratcheting versions of these with dies/holders of different types so you could get the alignment of the ribbon and squeeze the connector without having to balance things out, it limited accidents for sure. I still preferred to load 8 of them up in the press and crimp them all at once though..

A quick search yielded a plethora of these cheap ones from china. I did a search for the ratchet type and it brought results that were not...

7 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I hadn't thought about the vice. I will try it.

For those without access to a vice I have successfully used a C-clamp, working carefully and moving along the IDC connector in stages. I did this for 50-conductor ribbon cables for SCSI in the 1990s.

This is not very practical for doing a lot a cables but not bad for 1 or 2.

26 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I want the ratcheting version with the changeable inserts again... still can't find them. For the relatively few ribbons I deal with these days... I can't justify the expenditure on a cheapo tool... well not unless it's really inexpensive for what it is.

Not quite sure I am reading what I think I'm reading.  You only have a few ribbon cable clampings to do now, but getting a cheapo tool to handle them is too expensive? You'd rather get a much more expensive tool with changeable inserts that you can't find and that you're only going to use occasionally.  Ok....... whatever.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No! The quality of the current tool is cheapo and doesn't warrant the price they are asking for it. Considering how few ribbons I make now I can't justify the price for the crappy tool. The current item shown is complete cheapo crap for the price and I don't see the ratcheting version nor do I see different inserts for it. I love how no matter what's said it will get parsed in a way to be made a point of ridicule by some smart *ss. A simple -  'I don't understand' or 'please clarify' would have sufficed...

but hey whatever...

I mean for the price asked a better quality ratcheting tool would have been worth buying and expected.

I cant' justify this cheap *ss quality tool for the price they are asking, especially with how few ribbons I'd make with it. Different inserts would have made it a slightly more worth while purchase as a broader array of applications would make it a little more useful.

A better quality tools would be worth it, and now that you mention it, even if it were slightly more expensive, it would probably be worth spending the extra amount as it would have greater uses with more die and inserts that would come with it or could be purchased to make it so.

I'm sure this now rambling post will also be too hard to parse as well, let the hilarity ensue.

'cheapo' describes quality where I live. Expense or the word cheap describes prices. A cheapo tool should therefore command a cheaper or less expensive price.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I gave 'cheap *ss' a go to see if that clarified it a bit as we couldn't make the connection between the earlier posts, one post building on the other a whole 3 postings away. I think the word 'ACME' in ACME rocket booster would make the point. (Road Runner cartoon for context)

The cheaply made stamped metal thing is asking too much payola for what it is. In the spirit of Wile E. Coyote we could try fitting rubber bands to add pressure and hold things in place for us, but it'll end up as expected. I'm sure it will do what is needed and has a single purpose value, but it's been available at a far less expensive price in the past that was suited it's build quality and purpose.

I still hold out hope for a better quality actual ratcheting tool with changeable die/inserts like was available many years ago.

Edited by _The Doctor__

That IDC ribbon cable hand crimp is offered in various colors and sizes by nearly any hand tool source at varying prices from $13 or so on Ebay to $30 or so from 'name brand' suppliers that have simply bought in bulk from the Chinese and are making a killing profit margin.  It is simple and cheap and somewhat versatile in the size of IDC connectors it can handle with the one insert.  No,  it is not perfect.  It won't do more than one at a time.   It's not built to industry strength standards for volume production(Mine hasn't broken in over five years of frequent use).   It's not going to do the windows or take out the trash.  But it supports the posters need for occasional and limited IDC cable building use inexpensively as a step up from pliers and even a vise due to the insert.

The next closet thing I was able to find with a google search is either a bench press attachment($60) to a PanaPress ($175.00) or the big machines that do hundreds at a time and cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.   Far less return on his investment for the intended use unless he already owns a 502 PanaPress.  Absolutely no return on his investment unless he intends to start a business crimping ribbon cable with the big machines.  

The post I quoted from you did not make any factual sense to me.  If pointing out the logic bomb in the post makes me a smart ass, then so be it. ?

image.jpeg.9c11df12570cb4c196a3b0ae4a0a198d.jpeg

This sort of thing used to be plentiful and relatively inexpensive. There were a number of variants, and some even pressed punch outs or cut holes in the metal cases of the day. You could get such things for 20.00-189.00 depending on all that you wanted them to do.

Add on kits for presses were priced almost the same.

Standard mechanics ratchet kits also existed (as in you supplied the ratchet handle)

Small shops could greatly benefit from such. If you're getting older and have a tough time with arthritis or steadiness they can't be beat... and if you want to crank them out fast and accurate this is also the way to go.

If you are just doing a project or two... 14.00 additional dollars to make a connector just isn't worth it. just use the alternatives I and others suggested.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

Will the 1770 IC work with this PCB and the XF551?  I ask because several of the XF551s that I have were equipped with that IC on the original PCB and they are much cheaper.

My experiments indicated that you could use the WD1770PH with a 5.25" drive, but when I tried a 3.5" drive I had to use the WD1772PH.  Conversely you could use a 8.0MHz OSC with the 3.5" drive, but you had to use a 8.333MHz or equivalent OSC circuit with the 5.25".  I don't remember if there were issues with the OS/Floppy Controller used. 

• Like 1