IGNORED

Mega Sg Confirmed!

derFunkenstein

I'm hoping Genesis, SMS and maybe older games are playable from SD via a jailbreak firmware like their other FPGA systems.

I had preordered a Mega Sg but canceled it until this happens. There's just no reason to get one when I can already do all the supported stuff with my OSSC and a Mega Everdrive. Game Gear ROMs from an SD card would change that quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard a package get thrown at my door at high velocity, so that may be the 8BitDo wireless Genesis controller. I will let you guys know how I get on with it; expecting good things.

Interested what you think.

I just checked Amazon, mine is "shipped". USPS tracking # shows no detail, so it's still in Amazon's network. Should be here tomorrow. My opinions will directly pit this thing against the Krikzz Joyzz. The Joyzz loses connection at what I think is an unreasonably close distance. The 8bitdo just needs to feel good and stay connected to get my approval.

My controllers have been delivered. When I ordered it, I wasn't sure what I'd do with a Bluetooth Sega Genesis controller while waiting for the Mega Sg to arrive. I just learned that they're compatible with the Switch.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/new-toejam-earl-game-8bitdo-controller-get-genesis-nostalgia-right/

So that's what I'll be doing. I might even drag out my Fei Hao Megadrive clone.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32463-Fei-Hao-MD-clone-with-HDMI-out

You guys are much smarter than I in matters electronic; does line of sight have any effect on a 2.4 gz connection?

I have both a Model 2 Genesis with CD and 32x hooked up, as well as a Model 1 on it's own. The Model 2 is unobstructed; the Model 1 is hiding behind a GameCube and a N64. I got lots of random or dropped inputs on the Model 1, and it seemed fine on the Model 2.

I tried Street Fighter to test standard SF inputs- worked fine. I tried Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III to test the double jump (a pretty typical controller test for me); seemed fine. Feels good in the hand. Didn't try the turbo functionality. I'll mimic Flojo and try it on the Switch later. Devil Engine will be a good test.

I would absolutely be ordering this system (and may still) but it doesn't yet support 32x. I haven't decided if that is a deal breaker because my collection is largely 32x but it does say they are exploring options. If it had netplay, that would be amazing as well but not necessary.

Edited by malarrya

You guys are much smarter than I in matters electronic; does line of sight have any effect on a 2.4 gz connection?

2.4GHz is the most wall-friendly of all the short-range frequency bands being used these days, but walls can interfere with any wireless signal. Line of sight should not be a requirement, but I'm not sure how it'd do if your Genesis was in a cabinet. Glass is typically "transparent" to the signal, but wood is less so.

It's weird; I was definitely getting dropped / missed inputs... I could tell because I was navigating thru my Everdrive to punch up Street Fighter and it wasn't flipping thru the "pages." As I said, on the unobstructed Model 2, everything was fine. Obstruction is the only thing I can think of; obviously, to the device, it doesn't make any difference what you run it on. I dunno.

For the heck of it, I should try running it on my Master System and try the couple of games that freak out if you use a Genesis controller.

I have both a Model 2 Genesis with CD and 32x hooked up, as well as a Model 1 on it's own. The Model 2 is unobstructed; the Model 1 is hiding behind a GameCube and a N64. I got lots of random or dropped inputs on the Model 1, and it seemed fine on the Model 2.

I tried Street Fighter to test standard SF inputs- worked fine. I tried Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III to test the double jump (a pretty typical controller test for me); seemed fine. Feels good in the hand. Didn't try the turbo functionality. I'll mimic Flojo and try it on the Switch later. Devil Engine will be a good test.

2.4Ghz should not need line of sight. I don't have my hands on my controllers but maybe the radios aren't super strong? They could also be disrupted by other things on the same channel like wireless phones, wifi access points, and microwave ovens.

I had preordered a Mega Sg but canceled it until this happens. There's just no reason to get one when I can already do all the supported stuff with my OSSC and a Mega Everdrive. Game Gear ROMs from an SD card would change that quite a bit.

How good does the image the sega saturn displays over an rgb cable and through the OSSC look? Close enough to what you expect a native digital image from the Mega sg might look like?

I just aquired an Everdrive x7 and I ordered this rgb cable which should be arriving tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWH32WS

I already have an OSSC. Assuming the image looks decent on my display it sounds like there is no reason for me to spend the money on a Mega sg.

I have one on order but if it doesn't get me anything new then I'm happy to save the money and cancel my mega sg preorder. I previously bought the super nt, but then my original snes doesn't output rgb.

Edited by john_q_atari

How good does the image the sega saturn displays over an rgb cable and through the OSSC look? Close enough to what you expect a native digital image from the Mega sg might look like?

Presumably you're asking about the Genesis image? I think it looks amazing. I'm playing on a 4K TV with 5x scaling. From my couch, it's razor-sharp. If you get up close to it, you can see a little bit of fuzzy, but you've really got to dig into the image to see it. I'm extremely happy with the decision to cancel (and also, with my decision to have Mobius Strip Tech mod my SNES Jr for RGB instead of getting a Super Nt. The mod ran me $75 shipping included). I can't imagine the difference is appreciable, but I should disclose that the Genesis has been modded with an RGB and audio bypass board. That in itself wasn't cheap, either.

OTOH, my Retro USB AVS will be delivered tomorrow, according to USPS. I looked into the cost of having a "mega-deluxe" RGB mod performed on it with expansion audio, switchable color palette, etc., and the costs were way higher than the AVS.

It depends on what you already have. If you're starting from scratch, an AVS + Super Nt + Mega Sg = $600, and you won't need flashcarts for the 16-bit systems. The AVS doesn't plan ROMs that I can tell, though, but I have an Everdrive. OTOH, the Genesis + SNES + NES + 3 everdrives + OSSC = way more than $600, but you can use it with more stuff, too. I also use it with my Dreamcast and Saturn.

Basically, there's enough real high-quality hardware out there that you can't go wrong, and it's a great time to be a retro gamer. It's just hard to wade through all the crap sometimes. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant to say Genesis not saturn. ;-)

You mention your Genesis was modded. I found this link: https://www.retrorgb.com/genesistriplebypass.html

It seems since my Genesis is a model 1 I won't need a bypass modification. I guess I will see how the picture looks tomorrow once the rgb cable I ordered comes in. Though I found some reference to "lifting" pin50 on the "VDP" to remove jail-bars...

As for AVS, mine was delivered yesterday :-D

Edited by john_q_atari
  • Like 1

I just aquired an Everdrive x7 and I ordered this rgb cable which should be arriving tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWH32WS

I already have an OSSC. Assuming the image looks decent on my display it sounds like there is no reason for me to spend the money on a Mega sg.

I have one on order but if it doesn't get me anything new then I'm happy to save the money and cancel my mega sg preorder. I previously bought the super nt, but then my original snes doesn't output rgb.

My Genesis through the HDretrovision cables into the OSSC's component input is by far my best looking system in my AV setup. It also helps if you dial in the OSSC right for the different consoles. I've used Firebrandx's settings as a starting point, but then make further changes from there.

Now I do have the color subcarrier traces lifted off my PCB to try and remove the jailbars and it got about 90% of them. But of course since I still wanted the composite and s-video on my Genesis to still work, I reran the wires to an external switch as the subcarrier is still needed for proper color reproduction in the video signal for composite and s-video. It took using the 32x in addition to the other changes to remove those jailbars even futher, but they are still present ever so slightly. I have tried the Genesis on RGB cables and it looks really good! But I still think the HDretrovision cables through component looks even better.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant to say Genesis not saturn. ;-)

You mention your Genesis was modded. I found this link: https://www.retrorgb.com/genesistriplebypass.html

It seems since my Genesis is a model 1 I won't need a bypass modification. I guess I will see how the picture looks tomorrow once the rgb cable I ordered comes in. Though I found some reference to "lifting" pin50 on the "VDP" to remove jail-bars...

As for AVS, mine was delivered yesterday :-D

That's the mod mine has. Austin and Crossbow are correct when they say the Genesis looks great out of the box. It didn't really need the mod for video purposes. Since it is a Genesis model 2, you could hear audio distortion. lots of samples have added fuzz that's not present on the model 1, and there's a background hiss that's pervasive throughout. The mod fixed that, and it further cleaned up the video (though again, that part wasn't really necessary). Thing is, I really love the Genesis 2. It's the model I got when I was a kid, and so it was worth it to me to pump money into a mod, which seems crazy to lots of folks.

Edited by derFunkenstein

My Genesis through the HDretrovision cables into the OSSC's component input is by far my best looking system in my AV setup. It also helps if you dial in the OSSC right for the different consoles. I've used Firebrandx's settings as a starting point, but then make further changes from there.

Now I do have the color subcarrier traces lifted off my PCB to try and remove the jailbars and it got about 90% of them. But of course since I still wanted the composite and s-video on my Genesis to still work, I reran the wires to an external switch as the subcarrier is still needed for proper color reproduction in the video signal for composite and s-video. It took using the 32x in addition to the other changes to remove those jailbars even futher, but they are still present ever so slightly. I have tried the Genesis on RGB cables and it looks really good! But I still think the HDretrovision cables through component looks even better.

Is there a link or document you can point me to for all these modifications? Was this done to a model 1? That is the model I have. I tried the RGB cables today and they look pretty good. I do see a slight checkerboard pattern in the background. Perhaps that is the jailbars? Most all of the sega cables I saw online were sold out so that was why I picked up the $20 RGB ones off of amazon.

Also I have a string of colored pixels that vary in the lower left part of my display. Seems like it is out of the bound of the gameplay graphics boundary. Is this something due to my default OSSC settings or something with the mega everdrive x7 I am using for the first time?

Is there a link or document you can point me to for all these modifications? Was this done to a model 1? That is the model I have. I tried the RGB cables today and they look pretty good. I do see a slight checkerboard pattern in the background. Perhaps that is the jailbars? Most all of the sega cables I saw online were sold out so that was why I picked up the $20 RGB ones off of amazon.

Also I have a string of colored pixels that vary in the lower left part of my display. Seems like it is out of the bound of the gameplay graphics boundary. Is this something due to my default OSSC settings or something with the mega everdrive x7 I am using for the first time?

Yes, I have all of my mods done on my my non-TMSS va2 Genesis I use as my main daily driver.

Not sure they are documented per se as most wouldn't bother. But I got the information about lifting the subcarrier trace off the board from the Sega-16 forums over a year ago. But since I still like to use the composite and s-video from time to time, I wired up an external switch to turn the subcarrier trace on and off as needed.

The string of pixels you see are totally normal. Most Genesis games have those and they actually are a swatch of colors to chose from and are showing you all the colors that are being used to render the current scene you are viewing. That is why they flicker and change. They have always been there, but were hidden off screen due to overscan that CRTs had bitd. You can hide them by using the vertical masking on the OSSC.

• Like 1

Depending on the game, that may well be normal. The OSSC shows all 240 lines of a 240p signal, and the Genesis used those overscan lines for doing work. If you put the OSSC in 5x mode at 1080p, those lines will disappear because the image will be slightly zoomed. You'll lose a couple lines from the game field, but for the most part that's just hiding junk.

Depending on the game, that may well be normal. The OSSC shows all 240 lines of a 240p signal, and the Genesis used those overscan lines for doing work. If you put the OSSC in 5x mode at 1080p, those lines will disappear because the image will be slightly zoomed. You'll lose a couple lines from the game field, but for the most part that's just hiding junk.

Not true.. I play my Genesis at Line 5x mode and my TV and I can still see the blinking color bar. Hence why I have a profile with masking settings to cover some of the overscan all the way around to image.

Forgive me if this has been answered already. I've been trying to find out, but to no avail whether the mega sg can play Japanese region carts? Simple thing, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I would think so, just as the SuperNT can play Super Famicom cartridges. The "lockout" was just physical posts, right?

• Like 1