IGNORED

Mega Sg Confirmed!

derFunkenstein

This was posted in the Genesis Flashback thread but it's so awesome it deserves its own.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1052212620705509376?s=19

Introducing Mega Sg. A reimagining of the underdog that led a 16-bit revolution. Engineered completely in FPGA. Compatible with the 2,180+ Sega Genesis, Mega Drive and Master System game cartridge library.
Pre-order yours now at http://www.analogue.co

They've partnered with 8bitdo to make controllers. The wild-looking Saturn controller is the 8bitdo M30. It's already up for preorder on Amazon with a price of $25. Comes with a wireless receiver for Genesis. Analogue is also producing cartridge adapters for the whole history of Sega's 8-bit systems. Adapters will run $9.99 each, and the Mega Sg will come with the Master System's adapter in the box.

They also fired some amusing shots at Playmaji:

Every system supported on Mega Sg has been implemented 100% in FPGA by none other than the legendary Kevin 'kevtris' Horton. No bullshit fake "hybrid emulation". No software emulation. This is the real deal-totally FPGA, totally engineered in house from scratch-just like Super Nt

Not to mention Sega CD / Mega CD expansion slot compatibility. That's super cool. Kevtris needs to make an FPGA CD system next. Since the CD has a BIOS, though, and that BIOS is presumably copyrighted, it might be difficult to do, legally, without licensing it from Sega somehow. An SSDS3-style FPGA + SD solution would be great, though.

I will be preordering...just as soon as their site comes back up.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 3

The site is back up. Preorder price is $189, same as the Super Nt. Four different color schemes: three black ones with accents that represent different regional releases, plus a white model. $22 shipping to my address. That's kind of high but whatever, it'll be worth it. Would definitely be nice if they'd make a plastic-enclosed Mini Nt, or if jailbreak firmware for the Super Nt covered more systems, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

The 8bitdo M30 controllers have star, +, and - buttons like they'll have Bluetooth and/or be Switch compatible. That's good news for PCs and emulators, too.

Got my preorder in. That's breaking every rule I have, but Analogue has delivered time after time so I'm not worried.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

I imagine the lack of 32X support is due to a few factors:

• 32X may have had a BIOS. That could be a copyright issue for built-in support.
  • The FPGA they're using may not be powerful enough to support 32X.
  • Writing a 32X core for their FPGA may not be worth it.

Meanwhile as far as using a real 32X:

• The 32X had a patch cable that ran video in from the Genesis. They'd have to add the electronics to generate that signal so a real 32X could use it
  • Even then, you'd lose HDMI because all 32X video comes from the 32X itself, and that would still be the old hardware.
  • Like 3

Pre-order doesn't include a controller either...so that still has to be purchased separately. Hmmm...

Honestly I've spent more than that on mods to my current Genesis I use anyway over the years. The audio and graphics are the most crucial part to this. I've seen a video of Gunstar Heroes running on the Mega sg and while the audio sounded correct, I did notice that the gameplay in the video was slower than on an actual Genesis and some video effects weren't present. Namely the flicker of the CRTs in the level selection and weapon selection screen at the beginning. Still I'm sure these are minor issues to be resolved by the time of its release.

Yeah but still for that price I still think these should come with at least one controller out of the box. And I wasn't aware of no controllers coming with the others because I never preordered or purchased the other units. I have Nintendo stuff sure, but I can honestly say I'm very much partial to Sega and Atari and pretty much always have been. So I wasn't that interested with the Analogue NT since I have my Hi-DEF modded NES and a powerpak and have my SNES through RGB through my OSSC. Now..having said that I also have my Genesis through RGB through the OSSC as well but I'm more apt to put money towards this than the other offerings they had.

• Like 1

Well their page still doesn't come up for me. I either get a 403 permission not allowed or I just get a 404. I'm at least curious to see what they have posted up on their page about it. Guess they are getting slammed with pre-orders LOL.

Well their page still doesn't come up for me. I either get a 403 permission not allowed or I just get a 404. I'm at least curious to see what they have posted up on their page about it. Guess they are getting slammed with pre-orders LOL.

try fushing your DNS or if that fails do what I had to do and try adding this to your HOSTS file

143.204.158.110 analogue.co
143.204.158.110 www.analogue.co
Edited by NE146

try fushing your DNS or if that fails do what I had to do and try adding this to your HOSTS file

143.204.158.110 analogue.co
143.204.158.110 www.analogue.co

Adding them to my host did the trick.

Dammit...so tempting. But with all the mods I have on my va2 model 1, component video into my OSSC... I'm going to have to wait.

Wonder if they added FM to the SMS stuff for that adapter?! That would be freaking sweet!

After finally being able to get their webpage to load and reading the full product write up, I simply couldnt resist ordering one. I couldnt bring myself to drop that much scratch on the NES and SNES versions, but I completely caved when I read what this Genesis version could do. The backwards compatibility with Master System and Game Gear is very good news (providing the modules are reasonably priced). I just wish they could have managed 32X. This isnt that big a deal to me but it would have been nice to finally have an all-in-one Genesis solution. But they did manage to keep the CD expansion port which is what pushed me over the edge to preorder it. Im very much looking forward to getting my hands on this next spring! I ordered the JP version btw. The plain black US version looked a little drab but the Japanese version at least had a splash of color to it matching the button on the wireless controller. The white version was just way too damn white with no character at all! It would have been nice to see a few more color options like they did with the SNES version, but thats a very minor criticism.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if you can use the mega everdrive on the Mega Sg to run master system and SG-1000 games without the adapter modules. Or even game Gear games if krikkz added support..

Kevtris can probably answer this definitively, but I would guess that an Everdrive will cause the system to run in Genesis mode and play games from systems the Genesis can support. So just SMS, Genesis, and whatever else. No Game Gear, I'd bet.

Damn, I gotta look into getting this! Genesis was my first game console and got me 100% into the hobby, and this is looking really good with the features. I'm hoping there's enough to go around b/c I didn't even think it'd be announced this soon xD.

Really wish I held on to my old Genesis carts tho; shutter to think what games like Gaires go for now on eBay (just checked; $50 cart-only US version for cheapest options, and some are going up to like $300 brand-new. If this thing plays Japanese carts too that'd be awesome b/c Japanese versions of these games tend to be cheaper).

Definitely gonna consider seeing if I can order one of these within the next couple months (yeah, I know, they'll prob be gone well before then, but I can hold out for a 2nd run if it comes to that).

Also lol, this really further kills the purpose of the PolyMega; just goes to show how much that team screwed the pooch.

For the inevitable point in time where it's sold out and there are months between the next available batch like with the Super NT, this can serve as the obligatory "OSSC + RGB reminder" post. Even if you have to buy the console, it'll still come out cheaper than the Mega NT, and it'll work with other consoles.

Anyway, with that out of the way, it's nice to see this happening. My need for one is non-existent, but I'm sure others will find it useful. It's also good to see it'll connect to a Sega CD. Here's to hoping they can get 32X compatibility eventually.

• Like 1

Analogue is ironically destroying my need to keep my analog TV.

Still want a cheaper version of the NT Mini (why is it still double/triple the cost of the Super NT?)

You'll miss a lot of great light gun games if you toss your old tubes. There's a lot of kick ass sms gun games. Sega phaser works great on my Genesis model 1 btw.
  • Like 2