IGNORED

more than one missile question

waderain

You can probably hack it in with assembly somehow depending on how the game looks. Like if you have a space invaders like setting you could set NUSIZ0 to different values above scanline X and to something else below it. But that would limit the move space of your character. (Not sure if you can change something like that after like half a scanline if you want the game to be flipped 90 deg.)

I'm not an assembly wizard like others here, so they can probably call out my BS or give a magical script. But I think any possible fix will be very specific so explaining your game might help.

Flicker them. Your bigger issue may be finding enough variables to keep track of all the missiles you create and to implement reliable collisions. You should be able to get six missiles from the ball, missile0, and missile1.

Use a byte as a counter and let it increment and roll over. The first bit will toggle on and off each frame. Use that to draw the missiles in different locations each frame.

You will need to make considerations for this when you detect collisions, but it can be managed.

if fooCounter{0} then misslex = foo : missiley = foo else misslex = bar : missley = bar

Edited by orange808

Flicker them. Your bigger issue may be finding enough variables to keep track of all the missiles you create and to implement reliable collisions. You should be able to get six missiles from the ball, missile0, and missile1.

Use a byte as a counter and let it increment and roll over. The first bit will toggle on and off each frame. Use that to draw the missiles in different locations each frame.

You will need to make considerations for this when you detect collisions, but it can be managed.

if fooCounter{0} then misslex = foo : missiley = foo else misslex = bar : missley = bar

What I'm wanting to have is 5 vertical lines spaced out to make 4 tracks along the left side of the screen. I'm planing on using the multi sprite kernel so I can have more than two sprites but I don't want the play field mirrored

A missile looks great with a height of 80 or so, it's nice and thin looking. I've tried flickering them but it's really annoying.

Just thought maybe someone had a good trick to achieve this

Edited by waderain

I have the source code to a game called M.M.S.B.C. 2 here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207626-mmsbc-2-done/

It's not an example per se but it does showcase using missiles as player ships. It also timeshares the ball as a projectile for both players. It also manages to have different colors for the virtual projectiles even though it's the ball. Basically, it swaps a bluish color with a reddish color. This messes with the playfield color BUT you don't notice it so much because your eyes resolve it down to grey.