IGNORED

PS1 / PS2 HDMI Adapter by Pound Technology

Heyo! The same company that did the HDMI for Xbox adapter (Pound Technology) is working on a PS1 / PS2 HDMI cable.

For whatever reason, it's available for pre-order through Limited Run Games. (Not dogging on them, just seems an odd choice for this type of product.)

https://limitedrungames.com/products/pound-technology-ps2-ps1-hdmi-cable

Heavy Metal Jesus did a preview of it as well.

What little I can see there, I'd gladly use this for a PS1 setup, but I would probably stick to component for PS2.

Figured I'd share just in case you missed it during all the Mega Sg hype! :P

I'm kind of leery of these cheap converter boxes. However, if it doesn't screen stretch 4:3, does a good job with 240p, switches between 240p to 480i without issues (there are certain games that use both modes), and handles 480p without problems then I'm sold. Considering the fact that this is intended for both PS1 and PS2 it has to be using RGB Analog as a base which is a very good thing, especially since I hacked a PlayStation AV plug into my Jaguar years ago meaning I can use this there as well without any further adaptive plugs or modifications.

I'm kind of leery of these cheap converter boxes. However, if it doesn't screen stretch 4:3, does a good job with 240p, switches between 240p to 480i without issues (there are certain games that use both modes), and handles 480p without problems then I'm sold. Considering the fact that this is intended for both PS1 and PS2 it has to be using RGB Analog as a base which is a very good thing, especially since I hacked a PlayStation AV plug into my Jaguar years ago meaning I can use this there as well without any further adaptive plugs or modifications.

One of the more unfortunate things is that the device doesn't support 480p. The company chose to have a wider support for PS1 titles by doing 480i or lower rather than 480p.

Honestly? My biggest focus is a choice for the PS1 that isn't just SCART or "put it in a PS2/PS3".

I have their Xbox version of this. It works well enough, but it has some flickering. Of course, I found out AFTER I bought it that some Xbox models just have issues with their adapter. -_-

• Like 1

The video pretty much confirmed my suspicions, especially with the annoying screen stretching, so I'll take a pass on this. The one thing that annoys me about the Pound devices is that it requires power from the USB port. The AV port has its own +5VDC line so a USB plug would be unnecessary unless there is an amperage difference and the USB port provides more amps than the AV port.

• Like 3

I have the Dreamcast equivalent cable, and it's fine (only just fine, not great or outstanding or anything). As my main HDTV supports component, I don't truly need this now. Somewhere down the line, when TVs only support HDMI (or whatever the next standard is), I may need to look into futureproofing, but for now, my PS2 works with my main TV well enough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the video that stretching sucks. I disagree with the video that "most HD televisions have an option" to force 4:3 mode. I've only seen it on one TV in my whole life, and it's a Westinghouse TV from 2006. And even then it only lets you switch aspect if the signal is 480p. Once you hit 720p, the aspect button zoomed in to deal with overscan.

I can't believe these companies that want your retro dollars do this stupid kind of shit over and over. Up-scaling is not a difficult problem to solve. I have a component-to-HDMI box that does a great job and it was $30. It's apparently too hard to get right because amateurs are designing this stuff.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

I should point out that, after going through most of the titles on my hard drive, about a third of them (I have about 100 games on the drive) have a wide screen option. This should allow you to mitigate the screen stretching problem to some degree. For example, with the exception of Oni, just about every Rockstar Games title I own has this option. Namco seems to be pretty good in this regards too. Tekken 5 looks really good in both widescreen and progressive scan off my Component Video to HDMI adapter (mind you I only have this game because of Starblade which is an unlockable and that looks great too). Of course, your milage may vary with other titles and companies.

For people that aren't willing to go the enthusiast upscaling route, these devices will likely be fine. I had the XBOX version and it was OK for what it was, and I'm guessing the other versions will be able the same (I can't imagine the tech inside the cable is any different from platform to platform, given the price these sell for).

For people that aren't willing to go the enthusiast upscaling route, these devices will likely be fine. I had the XBOX version and it was OK for what it was, and I'm guessing the other versions will be able the same (I can't imagine the tech inside the cable is any different from platform to platform, given the price these sell for).

Their Dreamcast model seems to not have a problem with stretching, but the listing on Amazon has an amusing note about the image may not be centered on the TV and you might have to turn it off and back on. All the VGA converter boxes for Dreamcast say that. It's kind of weird.

A better comparison is probably the Xbox one you mentioned. I'm sure that's stretched all the time, but I'll be darned if I can think of an Xbox game that excludes a widescreen option. On the PS2 it's a much bigger pain point.

Wow that Pound device looks ideal for PS1 more than PS2 and it looks beautiful with the screen all filled out entirely there all nice, bright and crisp. I'd like to see some impressions on that. It's a bit of a shame you need an external USB power source though for the thing. I've got too many things plugged in as it is already behind my TV with the systems I do have and I'm out or one short of being out of plugs without going a bit away to a 3rd power strip which would require buying a long (6ft+) USB cable to do it. I'd need to see some solid improvement over using RCA cable to consider it even at $30.

Kind of related random find! I was looking to see if there was an HDMI project for the PS1 and came across the following link.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528592871/ps1-playstation-1-console-mod-chipped

Looks really sketchy and questionable... Mostly because they don't offer any pictures showing it connected to a TV. <_<

Kind of related random find! I was looking to see if there was an HDMI project for the PS1 and came across the following link.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528592871/ps1-playstation-1-console-mod-chipped

Looks really sketchy and questionable... Mostly because they don't offer any pictures showing it connected to a TV. <_<

looks like these are done by this mob (one guy?) looks reasonably reputable. Nice idea putting an upscaler inside the machine.

https://www.facebook.com/WillsConsoleModifications/ leads to https://www.wdgm-electronics.co.uk/

Edited by power
  • Like 1

I disagree with the video that "most HD televisions have an option" to force 4:3 mode. I've only seen it on one TV in my whole life, and it's a Westinghouse TV from 2006. And even then it only lets you switch aspect if the signal is 480p. Once you hit 720p, the aspect button zoomed in to deal with overscan.

Actually they are correct. Both of the last two TVs I've used in my game room a Samsung 46" and my current Sony 49" both have the option to set all source inputs to "Normal" = 4:3 aspect. Regardless of the resolution of that signal. So this is becoming more common. My first HDTV in the game room was an Insignia 48" and it would NOT allow you to set normal or 4:3 aspect on any of the HDMI or Component inputs. That one really annoyed me about that particular display. Hence why it was replaced about 2 years later to the two I described above.

A better comparison is probably the Xbox one you mentioned. I'm sure that's stretched all the time, but I'll be darned if I can think of an Xbox game that excludes a widescreen option. On the PS2 it's a much bigger pain point.

Classic compilations would perhaps be the one genre dominated by full-screen 4:3 modes, but there are still lots of them outside of emulated classic games (Not to suggest that you ever claimed otherwise). Halo 1, Knights of the Old Republic, Conker, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing 1, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time are some big examples that spring to mind.

I went through my collection once a few years ago and out of 150 games, approximately 2/3's were widescreen capable (Or had support even if it didn't fully fill the screen, with varying degrees of windowboxing being commonplace for anamorphic widescreen titles). And Grabbed by the Ghoulies for an oddity switches around the aspect ratio between cutscenes and gameplay, as I recall.

Edited by Atariboy

looks like these are done by this mob (one guy?) looks reasonably reputable. Nice idea putting an upscaler inside the machine.

https://www.facebook.com/WillsConsoleModifications/ leads to https://www.wdgm-electronics.co.uk/

Actually, looking over what he offers, these are actually pretty decent prices and variety!

I'm no expert, but the soldering looks good. (Better than anything I'd ever do!)

I still couldn't find any videos showing off the PS1 results. I don't think it'd be anything amazing, but I'm still interested to see it.

Actually they are correct. Both of the last two TVs I've used in my game room a Samsung 46" and my current Sony 49" both have the option to set all source inputs to "Normal" = 4:3 aspect. Regardless of the resolution of that signal. So this is becoming more common. My first HDTV in the game room was an Insignia 48" and it would NOT allow you to set normal or 4:3 aspect on any of the HDMI or Component inputs. That one really annoyed me about that particular display. Hence why it was replaced about 2 years later to the two I described above.

True or false (and there's probably not enough anecdotes here to count as real data) it's disappointing that the top-rated TV for low latency on RTings is missing this feature. It really reduces your options if you're a retro gamer. A fast PC and emulators are about as good as it gets for my TV...it's the only mix of low latencies and proper aspect ratios. Then again, playing retro games in 4K upscaling is pretty sharp, at least. :lol:

Actually, looking over what he offers, these are actually pretty decent prices and variety!

I'm no expert, but the soldering looks good. (Better than anything I'd ever do!)

I still couldn't find any videos showing off the PS1 results. I don't think it'd be anything amazing, but I'm still interested to see it.

I imagine he's using an off the shelf scaler and just hard wiring it it, so if anyone recognises it i'm sure you can find what the output looks like.

True or false (and there's probably not enough anecdotes here to count as real data) it's disappointing that the top-rated TV for low latency on RTings is missing this feature. It really reduces your options if you're a retro gamer. A fast PC and emulators are about as good as it gets for my TV...it's the only mix of low latencies and proper aspect ratios. Then again, playing retro games in 4K upscaling is pretty sharp, at least. icon_lol.gif

I'm assuming you are talking about TCL? Yeah...one of the reasons I haven't jumped on getting one their 4K sets yet. I only have the PS4 pro to take advantage of that, and it would require me to change out my AV receiver as well since it was made before 4K was a thing. So..for me to make the jump to 4k for just the PS4 Pro just isn't quite worth it. I can however take advantage of Super Sampling though...hehe.

You know now that I think about it...the 4k Sony in our living room doesn't even provide aspect ration changes I don't think? It does have a coax input on it though as I have two HD antenna in the attic for my over the air stuff but everything seems to come across in 16:9 with borders etc already in place for older shows. Likely the broadcast station is broadcasing in 16:9 and adding in the borders for older 4:3 shows.

I'm assuming you are talking about TCL? Yeah...one of the reasons I haven't jumped on getting one their 4K sets yet. I only have the PS4 pro to take advantage of that, and it would require me to change out my AV receiver as well since it was made before 4K was a thing. So..for me to make the jump to 4k for just the PS4 Pro just isn't quite worth it. I can however take advantage of Super Sampling though...hehe.

Yep. Got a 55P605 and a PS4 Pro on the same day back in late December. Worth it. But yeah, no 4:3 forced aspect for me. I liked it so much, though, that I got a 43S405 for the office/game room. Same software, same lack of aspect options. Both are super nice, especially for the money, but that's a weakness.

What's weird is that I play PS4 Pro games at lower resolutions when the choice is offered. 1080p60 for MLB The Show 18 was pretty doggone great. Much better than the 30fps options. Diablo 3 does both, though. 4K and 60fps is awesome. Makes me want to get a home theater PC with an RTX 2080. That's way off topic, though. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

• 3 weeks later...

I got the cable in today! I tried to take video, but I don't have any capture equipment and kept messing it up.

I'll have pictures and a quick and dirty review up tomorrow when I get a chance!

EDIT - I did the following titles (kinda randomly... up to other suggestions as I have a modded PS1).

• Legend of Legaia
  • Ehrgeiz
  • Einhander
Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

Okay! So lemme lay down the details and we'll get into my screenshots~

Pardon the lack of video, I don't have a video capture method and had to resort to pictures.

• Displays
    • 55" 4K Vizio
      • Color settings are just the general "Gaming" one
    • SCEPTRE Gaming LCD Monitor
      • Running through S-Video
  • Systems
    • Modded PS1 (SCPH-1001)
    • Softmodded Fat PS2
  • Games
    • Legend of Legaia (kinda random I know)
    • Ehrgeiz (480i)
    • Einhander (supposedly does 240p/480i swap in-game)
  • Extra Details
    • My phone's camera lightens things up a bit, so keep that in mind on the overly bright images.
    • I chose to only do PS1 titles as that was my main focus. I'm up for testing some PS2 games if anybody has suggestions.
    • I'll have to burn a copy of 240p Test Suite to test input lag at a later time.
    • I'm no audiophile so can't truly judge audio. Sounded all fine to me though!
    • All photos have been hastily edited together for ease of comparison. I had to resize them to avoid 50+ MB files. Originals are in gallery link at the bottom!

First off, a look at what all you get~

iocr1tE.jpg

PlayStation Startup

YHRXiBD.png

2ZHgWwL.png

Legend of Legaia

X6i98NJ.png

8VqPB66.png

LLDifie.jpg

mpve2w3.jpg

Ehrgeiz - Only did PS1 from here on

mcwOiKL.png

AHNjiLE.png

zGTZKUT.png

TqAVna8.png

t3SIfca.png

Einhander - Gameplay photos came out terrible, so I only have the menu and ship selection screens (in gallery)

POJ2IHJ.png

1ZqVOoq.png

• Pros
    • Works Surprisingly Well - I realize this is a lazy pro, but it does very much work! Vizio TVs aren't the most compatible.
    • Comes with Everything - HDMI Adapter, Micro USB, HDMI cable. Nice to get it all in one.
    • Affordable - Compared to SCART setup. For me, $40 including shipping and tax. (Highly suggest Amazon for cheaper shipping)
    • Great for HDMI setup - A nice choice if you're wanting a mostly / complete HDMI only setup.
    • No 240p / 480i change issue - Now this one is pending, but I didn't see any timeout issues like you do on the Framemeister. Gonna double check with Chrono Cross tonight.
    • Excellent Choice for PS1 - I mean that's self-explanatory. If you want a connection for PS1 specifically, this is great.
  • Cons
    • Stretches the Image - While it does stretch decently enough, it's definitely noticeable at times... Especially chubby Vahn.
    • Colors are Better on PS2 Component - This isn't to say the HDMI colors are bad. PS2 looks a bit better. S-Video is my favorite but it's just a good monitor.
    • Requires USB Power - Honestly? Not a huge con for me, but I understand those who have issue with this.
    • Pointless for PS2 - Considering Component is very much available (even high quality ones), people who use a PS2 won't have any use for this unless you just prefer RGB over YpYbPr.

Final Thoughts

I like it. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than having to invest in a full SCART necessary setup. Granted, if you already have SCART or a great CRT TV, then stick with what you have. However, if you are thinking of focusing purely on PS1, this is an excellent choice. Affordable and ready to go!

Gallery of all images

• Like 3