IGNORED

Just got a gamegear, any recommendations for games if I like the lynx?

sirlynxalot

I just got a gamegear and am looking into what games I should get for the system.

I really like the lynx's library and its ports of american arcade games. I'm already interested in the GG port of marble madness, frankly I think that game would have been a perfect fit for the lynx and its library.

Anyone with both systems or coming from the standpoint of a lynx owner have any suggestions for whether there are some games in the gg library that would have been at home on the lynx?

I recommend Chase HQ, Road Rash, Judge Dredd, and ironically I find this handheld version of T2 the best due to the shape of the d-pad .... oooo and if you want a good Japanese import Galaga 91

forget ever owning Aleste / Power Strike II though cuz it's expensive but probably the best schmup for the Gamegear (I wish I had it)

• Like 1

The Lynx is better than Gamegear.

Only thing that the Gamegear beats the lynx at is the massive amount of games.

However, I'll take Quality or Quantity any day.

Enjoy your gamegear, but you'll see that the Lynx is better.

That is some what debatable....

Sure, the LYNX is significantly more powerful and the sound is far better, but the screen is even smaller, and console is bigger... if not for that screen res being so low vertically, id rate the LYNX a fair bir higher, but it is, and i wont.

When you McWill them both, the quality of the original screen is somewhat irrelevant.

When it comes to games, the Game Gear can play Master System games too, after a McWill screen mod it does a perfect job, and there are some awesome Master System games out there. The LYNX doesnt really have many that do much for me.

• Like 1

Game Gear sound chip is poo. That said, I have a soft spot for this machine -- though yes, I highly prefer the Lynx -- and I can personally recommend these Game Gear games:

- James Pond II: Codename Robocod (far from a "perfect" adaptation, but still fun)

- Mega Man (handled clumsily by U.S. Gold (as always), it's still playable and enjoyable)

- Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya (good RPG)

I'm sure others can recommend a bevy of other games. My experience with the GG is so far limited to only a dozen or so. (Though considering I had mine re-capped and composite modded I should probably start using it more. :P)

• Like 1

Game Gear sound chip is poo. That said, I have a soft spot for this machine -- though yes, I highly prefer the Lynx -- and I can personally recommend these Game Gear games:

- James Pond II: Codename Robocod (far from a "perfect" adaptation, but still fun)

- Mega Man (handled clumsily by U.S. Gold (as always), it's still playable and enjoyable)

- Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya (good RPG)

I'm sure others can recommend a bevy of other games. My experience with the GG is so far limited to only a dozen or so. (Though considering I had mine re-capped and composite modded I should probably start using it more. :P)

Ive got a few different 28mm speakers on their way here so ill see just what i can fit inside the Game Gear and see how much nicer i can make it ;)

I would definitely recommand Shinobi, the "ninja gaiden" of the gamegear. It's a bit short, not really difficult, and the graphics are not as good as Ninja Gaiden BUT it's really fun, the gameplay is perfect and when you finish a level, you free a new ninja with new capabilities so it even has a rogue component to it.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

I think that the best GG games are the ones that contrast the best Lynx games, mainly platformers (which is a genre I like a lot personally). I haven't checked it up but I would guess the SMS/GG hardware might have been designed with platformers as a main priority, those being a really important thing at that time. The Sonic games, Wonderboy 2 and 3, Asterix and the Disney platformers comes to mind (castle of illusion, land of illusion, deep duck trouble, lucky dime caper) and a really good SMS port of Speedball 2. Still the Lynx has got a bunch of nice platformers as well, and I love that there's parallax scrolling in most of them!<3<3<3

• Like 2

Here are my first pickups and my early impressions. Winter Games is kinda like Alpine Games/California Games with a selection of winter olympics themed mini games. GP Rider is kinda like checkered flag, a pretty solid racing game with the tech of the era. G Loc is like Blue Lightning, though with its own strengths and weaknesses (good 3d style graphics but of course none of the impressive sprite scaling of Blue Lightning). Space Invaders is a nice update on the original arcade game with a bunch of tricks to add variety, somewhat remniscent of the various arcade ports to the lynx, and the sonic games are pretty strong 1st party platformers for the most part, not sure that there's a good comparative lynx game for those.

vjxxnmx2xqu11.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I would recommend getting an LED mod for the Game Gear. It helps the battery life a lot.

As far as games. The Shining Force game is pretty good. I'm also partial to Crystal Warriors.

I wouldnt bother with LED mods, its a waste of time, makes hardly any difference to the image. The McWill screen is night and day better and improves battery life just as well.

Oh yeah definitely a McWill if you have the money. It looks absolutely amazing with a McWill mod.

The LED mod can be hit and miss, depending on how much time the factory screen has spent showing repetitive images, like Columns for example... Ive seen some totally rooted screens from too much columns...

The fluro backlight fades part of the LCD over time, and its almost simular to burn in on a CRT, but in general it has an effect on uniformity for all colours pretty equally.

If you ever see a Game Gear where the screen looks look it is divided in 3rds, and the middle has really good contrast, the outers are both washed out, thats Columns... And it cant be fixed without replacing the screen...

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing nothing but gamegear for the last 4 weeks, until the gamegear started exhibiting weird screen flickering problems (the caps were supposedly replaced already). Anyway, I fired up my lynx for the first time in a long time, and it very quickly felt to me like the superior handheld. GG has an advantage with Japanese style games and loads and loads of platformers, I'd say lynx has the edge with sound and graphics and overall creative game design for stuff that is not platformers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend Chase HQ, Road Rash, Judge Dredd, and ironically I find this handheld version of T2 the best due to the shape of the d-pad .... oooo and if you want a good Japanese import Galaga 91

forget ever owning Aleste / Power Strike II though cuz it's expensive but probably the best schmup for the Gamegear (I wish I had it)

Uhm, there is an EverDrive for the GameGear. So if he wants to play those games, the availability of the original cartridges would be moot if he bought an EverDrive. Just sayin'. :)