IGNORED

[WIP] SpaceBank (working title)

Muddyfunster

As my other project - Tyre Trax - is nearly done, I've been working a bit on another idea I had, and would like to share.

SpaceBank (working title, may change it later..)

At it's heart, SpaceBank is a reaction shooter and will probably end up being a bit of an adaptation / tribute to Sega's Bank Panic, while also drawing some inspiration from the Gremlin Graphics game for the ZX Spectrum, C64 and AmstradCPC called "West Bank". (More info here).

I figured the 2600 could probably pull this off and my idea is to use my Track and Field controller for the game (which means joystick would also be just fine).,

Concept will be the same similar to WestBank / Bank Panic, just with a different setting. I've made the setting in Space simply because I find it much easier to draw "things" (aliens, robots etc) than drawing Cowboys and robbers :) Inspiration also drawn from PacMan Red's sprites in the free sprites thread (if like me you are not good at drawing graphics, you can learn a lot in that thread).

Concept :

You are the custodian of the SpaceBank, somewhere deep in the Outer Rim, light years from civilization.

Miners, prospectors, traders etc, will bring their deposits to your bank as it's the only one within 20 light years.

Your job is to protect the innocent customers and their deposits.

Beware, Rob-Bots, Trick-Bots and other unsavory types who will try to steal the deposits.

Some ideas around powerups.

Playing :

Nothing to play right now, but I've added a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of the direction, i'll share more as things develop including playable binaries in due course. Right now I'm building the game engine, getting doors to work, getting the game loop set etc.

Not sure whether I'll do the whole 12 window thing of Bank Panic/ West Bank or make an adaptation there (need to work within my Bb skill level!)

Plan will be to have 3 or 4 difficulty levels. Every few rounds you will have a showdown / shootout with a boss or trio of badguys for bonus points, then back to the level cycle.

Shoot an innocent = lose a life

Shoot someone who hasn't drawn a weapon = lose a life (law of the wildwest Outer-Rim)

Trick-Bots = shoot the boxes, last box might have a deposit, a bonus or maybe a bomb, shoot the bomb - bad things happen..

Controls :

Right now this is not set in stone, but I as I said, would love to use my Track and Field controller to control firing at the three doors as it has three buttons. Joystick would work equally well (left = shoot left door, right shoot right door, up or fire to shoot the middle door. If I go the "12 window" route, I may have to re-think that a bit.

ToDo and features will follow, but I'm going to have AtariVox support from the ground up now that I understand better how I should implement it (for scoresaving - Thanks KarlG!).

Comments and suggestions welcome as always!

post-61789-0-28392900-1539791189_thumb.png

post-61789-0-19780300-1539791195_thumb.png

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

As my other project - Tyre Trax - is nearly done, I've been working a bit on another idea I had, and would like to share.

SpaceBank (working title, may change it later..)

At it's heart, SpaceBank is a reaction shooter and will probably end up being a bit of an adaptation / tribute to Sega's Bank Panic, while also drawing some inspiration from the Gremlin Graphics game for the ZX Spectrum, C64 and AmstradCPC called "West Bank". (More info here).

I figured the 2600 could probably pull this off and my idea is to use my Track and Field controller for the game (which means joystick would also be just fine).,

Concept will be the same similar to WestBank / Bank Panic, just with a different setting. I've made the setting in Space simply because I find it much easier to draw "things" (aliens, robots etc) than drawing Cowboys and robbers :) Inspiration also drawn from PacMan Red's sprites in the free sprites thread (if like me you are not good at drawing graphics, you can learn a lot in that thread).

Concept :

You are the custodian of the SpaceBank, somewhere deep in the Outer Rim, light years from civilization.

Miners, prospectors, traders etc, will bring their deposits to your bank as it's the only one within 20 light years.

Your job is to protect the innocent customers and their deposits.

Beware, Rob-Bots, Trick-Bots and other unsavory types who will try to steal the deposits.

Some ideas around powerups.

Playing :

Nothing to play right now, but I've added a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of the direction, i'll share more as things develop including playable binaries in due course. Right now I'm building the game engine, getting doors to work, getting the game loop set etc.

Not sure whether I'll do the whole 12 window thing of Bank Panic/ West Bank or make an adaptation there (need to work within my Bb skill level!)

Plan will be to have 3 or 4 difficulty levels. Every few rounds you will have a showdown / shootout with a boss or trio of badguys for bonus points, then back to the level cycle.

Shoot an innocent = lose a life

Shoot someone who hasn't drawn a weapon = lose a life (law of the wildwest Outer-Rim)

Trick-Bots = shoot the boxes, last box might have a deposit, a bonus or maybe a bomb, shoot the bomb - bad things happen..

Controls :

Right now this is not set in stone, but I as I said, would love to use my Track and Field controller to control firing at the three doors as it has three buttons. Joystick would work equally well (left = shoot left door, right shoot right door, up or fire to shoot the middle door. If I go the "12 window" route, I may have to re-think that a bit.

ToDo and features will follow, but I'm going to have AtariVox support from the ground up now that I understand better how I should implement it (for scoresaving - Thanks KarlG!).

Comments and suggestions welcome as always!

any playable ROM yet?