IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

I work for the company. That's well-established. I try to provide insights into what is going on. If you don't want to believe what actually happened, you obviously don't have to. I understand it's much more fun to be provocative and shout "scam," and call names and curse and act like this is the worst thing ever.

It's also perfectly normal for companies to block people on social media outlets like Twitter, and for far lesser indiscretions than the reasons they're being blocked by AtGames. No one has a right to a specific type of access unless you're a government official.

If you work for AtGames then all your opinions regarding their products/activities are coloured by this association, especially as a "Strategy and Content Lead". I would not call them "insights" since this implies speaking from a neutral and unbiased position. You're of course perfectly entitled to share those opinions and they certainly do add to the bigger picture, but I think sometimes in those threads the line between "just a regular poster" and "company representative" gets a bit blurry here.

Secondly, while it might be "normal" (as in "widespread") for companies/mods to block people and delete posts wherever it may happen it definitely does not make it okay. Sure, it's understandable in some cases, but more often than not it's used as a catch-all broom to get rid of all the naysayers. Very poor practice, and hardly productive too, since it only builds up bad blood and negative reputation. It's much bettre to let your products speak for themselves.

Please note that what I wrote above is not in regard to the deleted reply and the situation it's refering to. It's just a general observation.

Secondly, while it might be "normal" (as in "widespread") for companies/mods to block people and delete posts wherever it may happen it definitely does not make it okay.

Sure it does. People need to learn that they can't be jerks on the internet anymore than they can be in real life, that's all. If you're a jerk in real life, you're liable to get punched. You're getting off easy on the internet by just getting blocked.

You're not talking to the government here. There's no free speech. Any private entity is well within their rights to block anyone they don't like. And "bad blood" is relative. You may not like it, but 10 other people may not like to see a toxic presence online spreading negativity. It's just a business decision.

I don't work for Atgames, btw.

• Like 5

Color me cautiously optimistic. As always I will wait to try it in person or see some unbiased/unpaid reviews, this includes pre-release units given to youtube "celebrities" & "collectors"..that gang.. Means little to me.

Currently I'm a purist in game mechanics - or how the game plays, how levels progress, how score is kept. But I am NOT a purist in formfactor, presentation, or control arrangement.

And so the waiting begins!

Thinking about it I'm kinda interested now too. If the cabinet is solid is doesn't matter if the emulation sucks as you'd be able to mod it with your own hardware. If the emulation is good - bonus! Certainly strikes me as more useful than a 3/4 sized unit. Shipping to New Zealand would be killer though.

Also these new cabinets are a great way of showing kids how games used to be played. It's an awesome way of keeping the history of videogames alive.

But yeah, please no multi art! Lol.

Yes an important point!

You're not talking to the government here. There's no free speech. Any private entity is well within their rights to block anyone they don't like. And "bad blood" is relative. You may not like it, but 10 other people may not like to see a toxic presence online spreading negativity. It's just a business decision.

I don't work for Atgames, btw.

It's the same argument we've had in the ESPN Comment Section thread - the government (what?), freedom of speech etc... it still doesn't make any sense. You can't have your cake and eat it: ie choose to display only positive comments on your site/feed/whatever and at the same time stress how much "your opinion is important to us", which is something all "private entities" do. I mean of course you technically can, but please do not expect to have any credibility after such exercise.

Of course I'm not talking obvious cases of harrasement, abuse and serious trolling here. That's what moderation is for and if that's what you mean by "jerks on the internet" then we are in agreement. But it also means that you havne't really read my previous comment since it was already mentioned there.

I also wonder if you'd apply the same logic to Atari SA fighting off the haters? Or is it somehow a different case?

Edited by youxia

I know I get labeled as an Atgames hater but if anyone were to go back and read my comments before anything had been released, I was optimistic and interested in several of their products - Flashback 9 (still am to some degree and still waiting to here about those mysterious paddles for it) I was interested in the Legends and even some of the blast products (may still get the paddle one someday) but I'm also very critical.

I bought last years portable and even though many seem to like it, I found it horrible. Couldn't stand the D-pad and it was very glitchy. I ended up returning it. Sure the John Hancock debacle didn't help but I wasn't the audience for most of those blast games anyway and they don't use Stella. The Legends one intrigued me but the poor sound in many games turned me off of that completely.

And this full size arcade cabinet? I'll watch it as I'm intrigued by it but my hopes that it will be any good are pretty low. I'm hoping to be surprised though. I just don't think this company is all that interested in quality. They seem to want cheap products at cheap prices in the hopes that those cheap prices will keep people from complaining too much. I'm sure I'll be corrected about those things but this is the nature of consumerism - perception is reality. If the perception of the company is poor, no PR spin is going to counter that. The only thing that can, is a better quality product and sorry to say, as of now I'm not really seeing it. The Flashback 9 has the best potential for that so far of everything released this year. For $100 Canadian and the extra price for paddles (I'm guessing $30 US or $40 Canadian) I expect a damn good product. That's not the price of a cheap stocking stuffer and as I've mentioned before, if your price point is more than what Nintendo can deliver in a PnP unit, you better damn well bring your "A" game to the party.

• Like 1

I know I get labeled as an Atgames hater but if anyone were to go back and read my comments before anything had been released, I was optimistic and interested in several of their products - Flashback 9 (still am to some degree and still waiting to here about those mysterious paddles for it) I was interested in the Legends and even some of the blast products (may still get the paddle one someday) but I'm also very critical.

I bought last years portable and even though many seem to like it, I found it horrible. Couldn't stand the D-pad and it was very glitchy. I ended up returning it. Sure the John Hancock debacle didn't help but I wasn't the audience for most of those blast games anyway and they don't use Stella. The Legends one intrigued me but the poor sound in many games turned me off of that completely.

And this full size arcade cabinet? I'll watch it as I'm intrigued by it but my hopes that it will be any good are pretty low. I'm hoping to be surprised though. I just don't think this company is all that interested in quality. They seem to want cheap products at cheap prices in the hopes that those cheap prices will keep people from complaining too much. I'm sure I'll be corrected about those things but this is the nature of consumerism - perception is reality. If the perception of the company is poor, no PR spin is going to counter that. The only thing that can, is a better quality product and sorry to say, as of now I'm not really seeing it. The Flashback 9 has the best potential for that so far of everything released this year. For $100 Canadian and the extra price for paddles (I'm guessing $30 US or $40 Canadian) I expect a damn good product. That's not the price of a cheap stocking stuffer and as I've mentioned before, if your price point is more than what Nintendo can deliver in a PnP unit, you better damn well bring your "A" game to the party.

Well said . They put out junk .

Not trying to be a jerk, but can we make a separate thread for AtGames complaints. This one about the arcade unit has gotten pretty off-topic and I am definitely interested in learning more about it and discussing it.

Not being a jerk at all, it just seems that every Atgames thread becomes a complaint thread. That says more about the company than it does about the community here. Besides, once this thing is actually released, I guarantee it'll become a complaint thread ;)

If you work for AtGames then all your opinions regarding their products/activities are coloured by this association, especially as a "Strategy and Content Lead". I would not call them "insights" since this implies speaking from a neutral and unbiased position. You're of course perfectly entitled to share those opinions and they certainly do add to the bigger picture, but I think sometimes in those threads the line between "just a regular poster" and "company representative" gets a bit blurry here.

Secondly, while it might be "normal" (as in "widespread") for companies/mods to block people and delete posts wherever it may happen it definitely does not make it okay. Sure, it's understandable in some cases, but more often than not it's used as a catch-all broom to get rid of all the naysayers. Very poor practice, and hardly productive too, since it only builds up bad blood and negative reputation. It's much bettre to let your products speak for themselves.

Please note that what I wrote above is not in regard to the deleted reply and the situation it's refering to. It's just a general observation.

I don't get your point. I've always been transparent about my relationship and involvement with the company. I don't see how there can be any confusion. I can provide info, so I provide it. It's that simple. If you expect me to bash the company, no, I won't do it, but I've acknowledged plenty of issues.

In terms of other people bashing AtGames in every thread, yes, it does get tiresome as well. Not every thread needs to devolve into hearing about how much some people hate the company. Sometimes these threads should just be able to be about the information in the topic and save the other stuff that distracts from that information for other topics. Goodness knows there are plenty of other ways to do that on a forum. It would just be nice to discuss the information in a productive way than hear "AtGames sucks!" every other message.

In terms of your second point about blocking some people, oh well. You may not agree, but it's again, perfectly normal. And it's not like it's done to everyone. It's only a very small handful of people who cross a line. Some people have no filter and are further empowered by the anonymity of the Internet. They wouldn't do half the things they do if there was any danger of association with their real lives.

Those who support these people are doing the retro community a disservice. All they make is garbage.So enjoy. What ever this thing is.

I wish AtGames would stop releasing trash, up the quality and sell a premium product. but obviously their business model (repackaging the same product over and over) is working.

If only they knew that all they are doing now is making the retro community angry - hell they made the nicest guy on the internet (John Hancock) cross. Seriously how do you make John Hancock annoyed at you??? Oh I know, bait and switch.

Edited by power

I wish AtGames would stop releasing trash, up the quality and sell a premium product. but obviously their business model (repackaging the same product over and over) is working.

If only they knew that all they are doing now is making the retro community angry - hell they made the nicest guy on the internet (John Hancock) cross. Seriously how do you make John Hancock annoyed at you??? Oh I know, bait and switch.

Oh hey, another anonymous person gumming up a thread. Thanks!

Oh hey, another anonymous person gumming up a thread. Thanks!

we're called potential customers.

and to be 100% crystal clear the community will give you every chance to redeem yourselves.

If you make this thing a great product people WILL notice, if it's more trash well no-one will be surprised.

I still remember all the promises for the last Megadrive system, and yeah it was hot garbage. I think Sega noticed too.

Edited by power

I'm sure potential customers come into an information thread to complain and make accusations all the time. It's really very helpful to those who want actual information. Thank you.

there's a little thing called a track record and people have a right to be cautious of AtGames because of that track record.

and it's a discussion forum not an ad. engage with the community and prove yourselves don't fight us.

there's a little thing called a track record and people have a right to be cautious of AtGames because of that track record.

and it's a discussion forum not an ad. engage with the community and prove yourselves don't fight us.

Yes, this is a discussion forum, but this is meant as an information topic for those interested. Obviously, you're not interested, you just want to troll. A+ on that. If you genuinely want AtGames to prove itself, then you wouldn't be doing what you're doing right now.

• Like 1

Yes, this is a discussion forum, but this is meant as an information topic for those interested. Obviously, you're not interested, you just want to troll. A+ on that. If you genuinely want AtGames to prove itself, then you wouldn't be doing what you're doing right now.

no i don't want to troll, i watch every atgames release with interest as they continue to put out systems with content that interest me. unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

i try them out in stores, i'm engaged.

i don't understand why you are being so nasty and combative - maybe you've come across too many trolls that your first response is to fight everyone. :(

no i don't want to troll, i watch every atgames release with interest as they continue to put out systems with content that interest me. unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

i try them out in stores, i'm engaged.

i don't understand why you are being so nasty and combative - maybe you've come across too many trolls that your first response is to fight everyone. :(

It is tiring to see all the negativity. I get it people don't like them. I'm on the fence about the FB9 right now, so seeing the issues people are running into or information from Bill is way more helpful that saying oh it's shit. I have one of their products that have been called hot garbage and for the price works quite well. At least Bill is pretty open to talking about the downfalls and issues. Just saying hot garbage isn't constructive. I think Bill has been way more patient than what I would expect from someone.

• Like 1

It is tiring to see all the negativity. I get it people don't like them. I'm on the fence about the FB9 right now, so seeing the issues people are running into or information from Bill is way more helpful that saying oh it's shit. I have one of their products that have been called hot garbage and for the price works quite well. At least Bill is pretty open to talking about the downfalls and issues. Just saying hot garbage isn't constructive. I think Bill has been way more patient than what I would expect from someone.

many people are unaware of atgames track record and it's always good to remind people of it - especially those new to the brand.

in a day and age of pre-orders a buyer beware of a company that releases products that are hit and miss is very appropriate.

and the genesis flashback was hot garbage, poor emulation, so so controllers and tons of junk games to fill out the games quota doth not a quality product make. the ambition was there but the execution was off. in the lead up lots of people were really excited for it - i know i was!!

I wish as I said earlier atgames would dial it back and just make quality products for fans, the problem is that this would probably make less money in the long term and this makes me and many other enthusiasts sad. they could learn a lot from nintendo who made a cheaply made system but one that didn't compromise on quality at that base level.

Hey even if they released you know the barely good enough stuff and a premium line that'd be better than stuff like the genesis classic. I and many others will take a wait and see approach to this product just like we do with everything they release now.

as for the company rep, attacking everyone isn't a good look - but maybe that's not important to atgames. I don't know.

many people are unaware of atgames track record and it's always good to remind people of it - especially those new to the brand.

I believe everyone on here is well-versed in AtGames stuff. They don't need you to point out issues in every post. In any case, let's kindly focus on the topic at hand. If you want to continue your postings, I humbly suggest you check out the generic AtGames 2018 speculation thread where you won't be disrupting the flow of info.