IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

Can't talk price yet (wish I could for several reasons, but that's definitely for a future announcement), but based on what you already know (and know of, say the Arcade1Up stuff), I'm curious what you think a fair price would be?

Being that it has many more games and capability than the 1UP units, I would say a bit more, but I think there is always the risk of pricing people out--the 1UPs for example seem to be having some success at retail given that they are priced and marketed to a more casual audience. Edited by bmadgames

Being that it has many more games and capability than the 1UP units, I would say a bit more, but I think there is always the risk of pricing people out--the 1UPs for example seem to be having some success at retail given that they are priced and marketed to a more casual audience.

I agree. Aggressive pricing is one key to the success of the Arcade1Up stuff.

i'm definitely interested in this product.

i really like these features:

"The built-in software is similarly impressive, with scan line filtering, an intuitive menu system,

save and resume game functionality, and the ability to rewind a game in progress to recover from a play misstep."

I wonder if these functions will work across all games, arcade and console.

the old ms gameroom on the xbox 360, had a vcr feature for games, along with save and load.

and even better, a replay feature.

if you can rewind an arcade game, that would be incredible for training purposes and gameplay.

especially if it's realtime, and doesn't involve optional savestates.

this allows you to explore games a lot more in depth.

especially if they are arcade games, and not just console ones.

later

I presume it's going to have a horizontal screen since it has the HDMI input. So I wonder about vertically-oriented games. Squished or pillar-boxed (black bars/bezel artwork on the sides)? Or since there's no perfect solution, dare I hope that users have the option to choose their own preference?

I presume it's going to have a horizontal screen since it has the HDMI input. So I wonder about vertically-oriented games. Squished or pillar-boxed (black bars/bezel artwork on the sides)? Or since there's no perfect solution, dare I hope that users have the option to choose their own preference?

Horizontal screen. There will be some options for what to do for 4:3 games.

Wait, so it's a 16:9 screen? Are there some more modern widescreen games included?

I can't say more about that at the moment, but yes, the 400 built-in games are classics that aren't in widescreen, obviously. If you plug in other devices, like media players and modern consoles, they can certainly take advantage of the widescreen.

• Like 1

I can't say more about that at the moment, but yes, the 400 built-in games are classics that aren't in widescreen, obviously. If you plug in other devices, like media players and modern consoles, they can certainly take advantage of the widescreen.

Ah, that’s a bit of a bummer for me as I’d really only be using it for retro games. I hate unused screen space and I hate stretched images even more... and I have my TV for the modern stuff :(

Ah, that’s a bit of a bummer for me as I’d really only be using it for retro games. I hate unused screen space and I hate stretched images even more... and I have my TV for the modern stuff :(

Understandable, but there's really no way around that, although there will be ways to have no black borders and make use of the extra space. Frankly, since classic games are both vertical and horizontal orientations, there's no perfect setup unless you only focus on a handful of games. If you want a high-quality modern display, you can't really get 4:3 monitors of a reasonable size in quantity, and you're still restricted in some ways even with that.

Understandable, but there's really no way around that, although there will be ways to have no black borders and make use of the extra space. Frankly, since classic games are both vertical and horizontal orientations, there's no perfect setup unless you only focus on a handful of games. If you want a high-quality modern display, you can't really get 4:3 monitors of a reasonable size in quantity, and you're still restricted in some ways even with that.

Yeah, fair enough. I’ve looked online for a suitable 4:3 monitor for my own build and they’re prohibitively expensive - like more than an entire 1up Arcade cabinet. I know you’d be buying in bulk but I guess they just don’t manufacture enough of them these days to get the price down.

• Like 1

Understandable, but there's really no way around that, although there will be ways to have no black borders and make use of the extra space.

Hopefully the original bezel artwork! That's what I have setup for my widescreen MAME cabinet and it looks pretty cool. Although sometimes I switch it off and play in 4:3 with black borders. Either way once I'm playing the game I'm completely focused on the game, not the screen real estate.

Question concerning the ports for connecting external equipment. Does it have an RCA-style jack that we could use to connect a retro console such as an Atari 2600/5200/7800, Intellivision, Colecovision? (I'm specifically thinking of connecting an Atari 130XE, so S-video is also a possibility). Or is it just HDMI.

Modern display, so just HDMI.

Can't wait to see what's in store for 2019.......

Probably more of the same and that's me just being a realist. I go both ways on being nice or not about stuff, but I'm beyond at this rate holding out for the company to fix their rancid Sega handheld for the Genesis. 2 years of HD console and still firecore garbage and I wasn't even planning to ask for a 3rd year now about it as I'm tired of bugging Bill about it. It's not his fault and he may consult with them or whatever his range is, but that place isn't his fault. So like I wouldn't much want to crap on his doorstep in here, but over the the classic gaming area, I'm more then happy to fire away there. I kind of view it like the assholes who go to a corporate page and spam the hell out of their forums with just spit and rage ruining others conversations about it, it's just a line in the sand I don't go over, but I'd do it elsewhere with reviews, reviews with comment sections, and so on where people will view it and discuss it. I don't think you're wrong, just think the current approach of going on in this space on the forum is. Not that it's above criticism either, but this seems more like a press release, firmware help, and other odd questions space as an outreach which is fair for people who still care.

So back to stuff that matters...

What’s the timeline for this product? I’ve been kicking around the idea of an arcade cab for my home ever since I was forced to sell my old mame cabinet I converted from an old Donkey Kong. Don’t think I want to go that route again, and the Arcade1Up stuff seems cheaply made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Stand in the place where you work... now face west

I was really looking forward to the 1up arcade cabs but lost interest once the reviews started coming in. Also, the lack of additional games was really hard to justify the expense. This project sounds like it has a lot going for it, so I’ll remain cautiously optimistic. Definitely looking forward to hearing more details about it.

• Like 2