IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

No surprise about Atari games being included on this thing (it would have been shocking if they weren't!), but it is definitely a pleasant surprise that it will feature a trackball AND two spinners! That will make head-to-head Warlords a real pleasure to play on this thing.

As for Tron, it's quite possible to play it without a joystick-mounted fire button... I've been playing that way for years on my homemade control panel. It's a tad awkward to work the spinner, joystick and a panel-mounted fire button simultaneously, but it's certainly playable.

As for the shape of this thing, I'm a tad surprised it hasn't been finalized this late in the process. I'd vote for something that looks like an old arcade cabinet, but I would understand if some corners needed to be cut to make it more affordable. Just so long as it's sufficiently sturdy!

This certainly is shaping up to be to the best fully legal and affordable multi-game arcade machine yet offered to the public. I'm really hoping it is a big success!

No surprise about Atari games being included on this thing (it would have been shocking if they weren't!), but it is definitely a pleasant surprise that it will feature a trackball AND two spinners! That will make head-to-head Warlords a real pleasure to play on this thing.

As for Tron, it's quite possible to play it without a joystick-mounted fire button... I've been playing that way for years on my homemade control panel. It's a tad awkward to work the spinner, joystick and a panel-mounted fire button simultaneously, but it's certainly playable.

As for the shape of this thing, I'm a tad surprised it hasn't been finalized this late in the process. I'd vote for something that looks like an old arcade cabinet, but I would understand if some corners needed to be cut to make it more affordable. Just so long as it's sufficiently sturdy!

This certainly is shaping up to be to the best fully legal and affordable multi-game arcade machine yet offered to the public. I'm really hoping it is a big success!

Yeah, I absolutely love that it has two spinners. I'm a big spinner fan myself.

The shape is more or less finalized (we've demonstrated units to select retailers already), but we are considering alternate materials, which means we can also consider alternate shapes/designs at the same time. Even as-is, it's pretty light for the size and very easy to assemble. We're really looking for any type of feedback on any negatives/positives to making the cabinet all plastic or half plastic/half wood, etc., and if streamlining the top like in the Etsy example given would be appealing. Basically, if we're still going to make changes like that, this is pretty much our last opportunity to do it.

• Like 1

The shape is more or less finalized (we've demonstrated units to select retailers already), but we are considering alternate materials, which means we can also consider alternate shapes/designs at the same time. Even as-is, it's pretty light for the size and very easy to assemble. We're really looking for any type of feedback on any negatives/positives to making the cabinet all plastic or half plastic/half wood, etc., and if streamlining the top like in the Etsy example given would be appealing. Basically, if we're still going to make changes like that, this is pretty much our last opportunity to do it.

I'm pretty amazed about that second spinner... I'm hard pressed to think of many arcade games that will benefit from it other than Warlords and Pong. It's certainly a nice touch that makes the machine a bit more "deluxe" than I had anticipated.

Wood is nice, but plastic wouldn't be a dealbreaker at all, so long as it is reasonably sturdy. Similarly, a traditional top would be nice as well, but something more streamlined would be acceptable. I would think the important thing is that you probably want the look of the thing to evoke nostalgia for a real 80's arcade cabinet as much as reasonably possible.

• Like 2

I'm pretty amazed about that second spinner... I'm hard pressed to think of many arcade games that will benefit from it other than Warlords and Pong. It's certainly a nice touch that makes the machine a bit more "deluxe" than I had anticipated.

Atari 2600 home games will benefit from the dual spinners too. We'll talk about some of the other features and flexibility going forward.

• Like 2

Not sure about materials, but I'd be concerned about the bottom edges scraping or cracking when I set it down (I use hardwood flooring) or try to set it onto a cart/dolly. Never owned a cab and not sure if it could be built to withstand that or not. I don't really have anyone that can give me a lot of help moving it around.

Edited by Zookeeper
  • Like 1

I can't get into too many details, but the design right now requires minimal assembly as a cabinet-style setup, so there are no worries in that regard. While we're not restricted by any traditional design cues per se, I do personally think we'd lose some of the raw appeal of having a "real" arcade machine at home if it wasn't more or less recognizable in the classic sense, i.e., cabinet versus pedestal or something else a bit more out there. We're definitely still open to all ideas at this point and your feedback will definitely be passed on, though (thanks).

If a stand were used for the base then it could have the option to add a cabinet around it i.e. include suitable threaded holes for attaching a cabinet. A buyer could then decide whether they want the arcade-style base of the cabinet or not. The same 'C' bracket approach could be used as a base for a 'cocktail' cabinet design in future, possibly reducing manufacturing cost.

If the design doesnt allow for omitting the base entirely, to get a counter-top design, that should be considered. Some customers may prefer that for various reasons.

There are always going to be trade-offs between cost and design flexibility (and look). Possibly a 'standard' and 'deluxe' option with different cabinet styles could be offered. It really comes down to what the retailers believe they can sell, of course.

• Like 2

I know it's way too late for suggesting features for this thing, but I do hope that it is firmware upgradeable - mainly so that AtGames can address software complaints/bugs after the machine is released. This shouldn't be a huge request, considering recent products like the Flashback 9 support upgradeable firmware.

I'm not one of those people that insists on "perfect" emulation, but there have been cases (like the sprite collision bug on the Intellivision Flashback in Tower of Doom) that negatively affect playability of the game. Those are the kinds of issues I would expect AtGames to be responsive to.

Hoping the resolution on the built-in monitor will do justice to vector games such as Asteroids, Tempest and Major Havoc.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

this is sounding very promising.

Dual spinners could be good for racing games. Sprint Master and the early Atari Indy 500 type games.

Will the spinner let you drop a steering wheel on top of them? https://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html

Any thoughts about a Gas Pedal and or Brake? Pole Position I and II plus the pedal could be a fire button for Tron..Still a different way to play, but might work?

I would love to see Q Bert with good sound... ;)

• Like 1

Can't talk price yet (wish I could for several reasons, but that's definitely for a future announcement), but based on what you already know (and know of, say the Arcade1Up stuff), I'm curious what you think a fair price would be?

Using Arcade1Up as one baseline- their 4 game units sell at @ $249-$299 and the 13 game model went for $400. The AtGames unit will have alot more games and a price below $400 will sell quick. As you get closer to $500 or higher, then it becomes an "investment" discussion (going to hesitate on a quick buy). If the price lands between $600-$999 then I need to wait until we hear alot about it and possibly wait for discounts. Ideally, everything we need will be included in whatever price it lands at - Arcade1Up charged for the 1ft riser and that was really overpriced.

...And although this is not the most attractive example, what do you think of an arcade unit that has less "wasted space," especially up top, like this one?

The width looks right if you want to have 2 players but that example unit is 6ft high - could probably take some of the height off of it. For materials, wood for the bottom would give it stability and the top half could be other materials to lighten the unit. Lowering the weight would help drop shipping costs - the Arcade1Up was around 70lbs.

Just a couple of things to add:

1) While I see issues with the A1U implementation, the idea of having a 46.5" tall cab + 12" riser (should really be 14"...) is pretty inspired. Items in boxes greater than 48" in any dimension have issues with getting into retail stores. In addition, being older, I now find I often prefer gaming while sitting down. With the issues of significant returns that A1U had, maybe there's room for competition with 3/4 cabs + risers

2) Now that you've got the license for Tron, you should definitely have 1 (maybe 2) different, pre-applied Tron related graphics wraps for the cab

• Like 1

Just a couple of things to add:

1) While I see issues with the A1U implementation, the idea of having a 46.5" tall cab + 12" riser (should really be 14"...) is pretty inspired. Items in boxes greater than 48" in any dimension have issues with getting into retail stores. In addition, being older, I now find I often prefer gaming while sitting down. With the issues of significant returns that A1U had, maybe there's room for competition with 3/4 cabs + risers

2) Now that you've got the license for Tron, you should definitely have 1 (maybe 2) different, pre-applied Tron related graphics wraps for the cab

i don't think these are in competition.

this is more of a pro level arcade sized cabinet.

the reason arcade 1up were smaller, was because they couldn't get the license for the full size machines.

so, there's no reason to make it smaller.. the AT games one, and the microcenter ones are full sized,

and for better controls, and room for more than 1 player, to be comfortable, it has to be bigger.

later

i don't think these are in competition.

this is more of a pro level arcade sized cabinet.

the reason arcade 1up were smaller, was because they couldn't get the license for the full size machines.

so, there's no reason to make it smaller.. the AT games one, and the microcenter ones are full sized,

and for better controls, and room for more than 1 player, to be comfortable, it has to be bigger.

later

A1U definitely was able to get the license for a full sized arcade, they just found out by going somewhat smaller they could run on a license cost much more like a handheld game. Full sized arcade cab licenses are typically a nice bit higher. (I wouldn't be surprised if AtGames was able to negotiate lower license costs because of A1U.) At least that's what a A1U rep said back in Sept or so..

The retailer size / weight / density restrictions for products are a real thing. Microcenter is run differently, so it's not an issue with them (plus they want to sell DIY parts, so again, different). With Walmart, if you fall out of the sweet spot, they'll charge you for that or they could just decide to not carry your product. A1U wants to be in Walmart and other standard retailers, so they are selling something that fits within the standard restrictions. AtGames? They'll probably have to be more inventive with who they partner with / market to (Fry's? Lowes carried A1U and wouldn't have an issue with the size. Best Buy handles lots of appliances, so possible)

I would suggest offering some optional vinyl stickers for the side panels, control panel, and optional marquee designs that are licensed designs of individual games. Personally I never really like the look of generic custom cabinets that have some kind of mishmash collage of many different game logos and characters. I'd rather just choose one classic licensed design, and maybe change it every once in a while. If it's not cost effective for AtGames to offer this, then I would suggest making Illustrator/InDesign template files available that enthusiasts could download and customize and then send off to printers so they could source the printing themselves.

As for the standard artwork for the cabinet, I would suggest trying to contract with an established artist who actually did some classic cabinet artwork back in the day to come up with a new design. Maybe someone who worked for or contracted for Atari or Bally Midway or Williams. Most consumers wouldn't know them by name, but they could appreciate the authentic styling. And it would just be a bonus for the enthusiasts who do know who some of the artists are.

As for the standard artwork for the cabinet, I would suggest trying to contract with an established artist who actually did some classic cabinet artwork back in the day to come up with a new design. Maybe someone who worked for or contracted for Atari or Bally Midway or Williams. Most consumers wouldn't know them by name, but they could appreciate the authentic styling. And it would just be a bonus for the enthusiasts who do know who some of the artists are.

We have plans in place for flexibility in changing out the artwork, but would always welcome leads to artists, especially like those.

• Like 1

We have plans in place for flexibility in changing out the artwork, but would always welcome leads to artists, especially like those.

Brian Colin from Midway / Game Refuge (Rampage / Xenophobe / Spy Hunter 2 / Zwackery etc...), and Jeff Lee from Gottlieb (Q*Bert / Krull ) are still around the Chicago area

• Like 1

Can you provide any pics or renderings? We would just like to possibly get an idea of the looks.....etc

A1U definitely was able to get the license for a full sized arcade, they just found out by going somewhat smaller they could run on a license cost much more like a handheld game. Full sized arcade cab licenses are typically a nice bit higher. (I wouldn't be surprised if AtGames was able to negotiate lower license costs because of A1U.) At least that's what a A1U rep said back in Sept or so..

The retailer size / weight / density restrictions for products are a real thing. Microcenter is run differently, so it's not an issue with them (plus they want to sell DIY parts, so again, different). With Walmart, if you fall out of the sweet spot, they'll charge you for that or they could just decide to not carry your product. A1U wants to be in Walmart and other standard retailers, so they are selling something that fits within the standard restrictions. AtGames? They'll probably have to be more inventive with who they partner with / market to (Fry's? Lowes carried A1U and wouldn't have an issue with the size. Best Buy handles lots of appliances, so possible)

I still doubt they could get a full license, because as you said,

it would have to compete with the official Namco ones.

And there's no way they could compete on price for a full sized

machine. it would have been hard to differentiate their product

because it wouldn't have been offering anything different, except

less games.

later

Edited by negative1

Evelyn Seto was one of the graphic designers at Atari in the late 70s/early 80s, having started as an assistant to art director George Opperman. According to her website, she focuses on fine art painting now, but she might know if any of the coin-op artists from that era are still active as illustrators. In the book "Art of Atari," she mentions Bob Flemate, Jim Kelly, and Steve Hendricks as some of the primary illustrators for the coin-op games. (Some of them later moved on to the consumer division to do illustrations for 2600 games.)

• Like 1