IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

Yes, if you want to play games from your Steam, EPIC games, Origin, etc., accounts, that will need to be streamed from our servers (it's the only way to play the highest performance PC games on a machine like this). Modest network performance is needed for smooth play. There are several other ways to play games other than what's built into the machine (including plugging in other systems), plus there's going to be an open API for third parties to develop more features.

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Yes, if you want to play games from your Steam, EPIC games, Origin, etc., accounts, that will need to be streamed from our servers (it's the only way to play the highest performance PC games on a machine like this). Modest network performance is needed for smooth play. There are several other ways to play games other than what's built into the machine (including plugging in other systems), plus there's going to be an open API for third parties to develop more features.

I am going to slightly disagree with you. You can stream steam games to pretty much anything from your own PC locally without going outside your home network. So, there is another option, but it doesn't generate any revenue for Atgames, so...

I struggle with why this is better than retropi, a xarcade tankstick and a 50" flatscreen TV? ;)

IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.365a613c6194883bf8dc5804c21c55b6.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

There are several other ways to play games other than what's built into the machine (including plugging in other systems), plus there's going to be an open API for third parties to develop more features.

Does this mean I could plug in an R-Pi, or MiSTer fpga rig, or even a tiny intel nuc pc? I would imagine there'd be some configuration work on my part to get the hardware all cozy-cozy and gooded up.

53 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I struggle with why this is better than retropi, a xarcade tankstick and a 50" flatscreen TV? ;)

I have something similar (different monitor & intel NUC) that I put out on deck from time to time. Thing is these types of setups are modular. Controls get wonky or break, swap. Computer/ProcessorBoard goes on the fritz, swap. Display breaks or gets outdated, swap. Different stand needed for different location, swap. New software comes out, swap!

But then again, this is enthusiast material that takes some setting up. I would guess the AtGames offering is turnkey from the time you open the box.

Edited by Keatah

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

I am going to slightly disagree with you. You can stream steam games to pretty much anything from your own PC locally without going outside your home network. So, there is another option, but it doesn't generate any revenue for Atgames, so...

That's not what this is. You'll see once more details are released. And again, I'm sure there will be plenty of third party solutions to do all kinds of things.

As for your Pi is better than... Yes, a Pi is better than everything commercially ever made. I'm glad we got that out of the way so no one ever has to say that ever again about any non-Pi commercial product.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

paying to stream something you already own is a non-starter for me. I am sure there is an audience for this but as details have been revealed it seems to not be an appealing buy for me atleast personally. Some people I know play pc fighting games by the tons and would really have no interest in paying 10 dollars every weekend when they get some time just to play it on this device. Not dunking on it. Just probably not for me, or some peeps i know.  

Edited by WD_GASTER
  • Like 1

How does it work? AtGames has a server and they are going to try to have every commercially available game available to stream from there? Or you put in a request... "could you please install Euro Truck Simulator so I can play it on my cabinet?" I'm not trying to come across sarcastically, I am just curious about the logistics of this.

29 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

How does it work? AtGames has a server and they are going to try to have every commercially available game available to stream from there? Or you put in a request... "could you please install Euro Truck Simulator so I can play it on my cabinet?" I'm not trying to come across sarcastically, I am just curious about the logistics of this.

Yes, it is run from your own instance on a virtual PC at one of our major metropolitan data centers. You'll have all the details soon.

23 hours ago, toddtmw said:

I had to sorta evaluate if your post was a joke or not.  Yes, the flexibility of creating your own emulation er . . . environment is very appealing.  However, this photo looks like a modern day update to that slideshow with horrific MAME cabinets.  One reason a commercial arcade cabinet just MIGHT be better is because it doesn't look like some dude put it together with stuff from Walmart and plays it on a Sh!+ stained chair in his underwear on Saturday night.  Bonus - he can also browse pron on it too!

• Haha 5

Why would you want to "send" one of your already-owned games to a datacenter to have them run it for you and then send the "results", the game, back to you at a location 10 meters perhaps from where your original PC hardware and software reside? Just to play it in standup format? I prefer the shitstained chair.

Back in the day timesharing and terminals were a necessity. Not everyone could afford a computer. Hell, not even some universities - they were so expensive and BIG room-sized monstrosities. Early cloud computing was done out of necessity.

Today cloud computing is unnecessary subscriptions and done specifically to get inside your wallet.

56 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I had to sorta evaluate if your post was a joke or not.  Yes, the flexibility of creating your own emulation er . . . environment is very appealing.  However, this photo looks like a modern day update to that slideshow with horrific MAME cabinets.  One reason a commercial arcade cabinet just MIGHT be better is because it doesn't look like some dude put it together with stuff from Walmart and plays it on a Sh!+ stained chair in his underwear on Saturday night.  Bonus - he can also browse pron on it too!

I finally found someone who gets my humor. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

One reason a commercial arcade cabinet just MIGHT be better is because it doesn't look like some dude put it together with stuff from Walmart and plays it on a Sh!+ stained chair in his underwear on Saturday night.  Bonus - he can also browse pron on it too!

Okay, smart guy! Now explain how this thing is any better than THIS:

trashcade.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is it fair to say that if anyone wants to purchase a handful of additional games that get downloaded and run locally, ArcadeNet @ $239.88/year is the only option? If so, I am going to have to hold-off until there is a option to purchase individual games outside of a subscription model. The subscription could makes sense if there is a very large set of quality arcade games - we will need to see that list. One game that eventually needs to be there is Donkey Kong which I haven't seen Nintendo license to anyone in recent years.

As for playing Steam games, it's good to have that option - but as others said, we are already paying for Steam on our local PCs. 

3 minutes ago, TF14 said:

Is it fair to say that if anyone wants to purchase a handful of additional games that get downloaded and run locally, ArcadeNet @ $239.88/year is the only option? If so, I am going to have to hold-off until there is a option to purchase individual games outside of a subscription model. The subscription could makes sense if there is a very large set of quality arcade games - we will need to see that list. One game that eventually needs to be there is Donkey Kong which I haven't seen Nintendo license to anyone in recent years.

As for playing Steam games, it's good to have that option - but as others said, we are already paying for Steam on our local PCs. 

There will be options to purchase games. Nintendo doesn't license videogame stuff to anyone else and hasn't for a long, long time. The only thing you can really license from them is for toys and other non-videogame items.

• Like 1