IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

1 hour ago, Murder after Midnight said:

Hey bill my man, with this thing being potentially 2 weeks out has there been any info regrading when the next announcement is for release date?  Or sams club or ordering info?

Another launch retailer will be announced any day now. I'm not sure when the exact date is going to be announced, but it is by the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

The full website for the arcade machine is now up: https://arcades.atgames.net/

More features/info will continue to be added to the website.

Sam's Club locations already have floor demo units and inventory, but it's not at every location just yet. Walmart.com should have inventory in the beginning of November.

Some photos are being posted on social media:

75074538_2970958686251738_16802929969201

• Thanks 2

Congrats Bill on the launch. I want to try one out (and maybe buy), but I have to say this ended up being a very cool unit. Between the ArcadeNet, the comparability with the Boom/Blast units, and the open SDK, this is super exciting.

I know you get paid, but thank you for working on a product that actually ups the bar on retro gaming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ToddL said:

30-day warranty. Customer pays for shipping & handling if you have a warranty claim. Wow.

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/faq/

I bet S&H on that thing costs as much as the unit, 30days warranty is a little short for these kind of things (Arcade1up is at 90 days) but not unheard of either.

Or just don’t buy one. Yet. 

While I like the concept here, I’m not yet confident that at games can pull this off. 

Don’t get me wrong, they’re nowhere near Ataribox level of uncertainty. They have delivered quality products before. But nothing near this complicated. 

when I see 30-day warranty, but owner pays shipping I get worried that they are not prepared for something this involved. 

hopefully I’m wrong. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keatah said:

I think some stores have a return policy that long. So just take it back there. Or alternatively maybe get a 3rd party warranty from like square-trade or something.

I have stood up for ATGames on occasion,  because many times people are too harsh on them...But I've also called them out (Like why did my handheld Genesis's cart slot wear out instantly?)...

It's unfortunate that they have an iffy reputation, because I often Want to support them (and Bill is the Complete opposite of nutari and polymega, Bill is a good guy)...But seriously why only 30 days on the warranty?    Sometimes I get so busy in life that I would barely have tested it in 30 days if I bought one.  IMO it should be at least 90 days if they have the slightest faith in their product!

And Square Trade?   I see where you're coming from, but throwing money at a problem when the whole deal is that you're doing it on the cheap, seems to defeat the purpose.

• Like 1

So I saw the posts and vids of this showing up at Sam's and I decided to look at the games list, really look at it that is.  Maybe this was done prior in the thread but I wanted to sort it for myself. 

Having done that, this really reminds me more of their handheld games that an arcade cabinet, based on what they've included with it.  And that's a shame to be honest.  I really don't want anything on an arcade cabinet other than arcade games.  Why they went with including console versions is beyond me.  

And there are doubles here is well, so its not really 350 games at all, 15 are duplicate titles (Arcade/Console).  

If my sorting is correct, there are only 147 arcade ROMs.  Of those, honestly, only 4 titles interest me, and I noticed a lot of the listed games I've just never heard of.  They're just too obscure for my taste.  

I wish AtGames had gone with quality over quantity - I would rather they went with 50 or 100 popular arcade titles over the 200 or so console games.  Better to have made the console titles available with their online system instead, selling this as the arcade game that can also play console titles. 

I'm going to see if I can get a pass to check this out at Sam's near me when they get it in, I would like to see how this plays in person.  I just have to remember to ignore the 16:9 screen which I'm still having a hard time getting past. 

3 hours ago, negative1 said:

how to build:

later

Is it me or was there a lot of wobble to the base when it was being assembled?  Really surprised they didn't include some additinal bracing to the lower half of the cabinet.  I'm thinking this is going to cause issues long term, let alone short term if you "get on it" (the cab) too much.  

Timber!

1 hour ago, 128Kgames said:

If my sorting is correct, there are only 147 arcade ROMs.  Of those, honestly, only 4 titles interest me, and I noticed a lot of the listed games I've just never heard of.  They're just too obscure for my taste.  

I wish AtGames had gone with quality over quantity - I would rather they went with 50 or 100 popular arcade titles over the 200 or so console games.  Better to have made the console titles available with their online system instead, selling this as the arcade game that can also play console titles. 

I'm going to see if I can get a pass to check this out at Sam's near me when they get it in, I would like to see how this plays in person.  I just have to remember to ignore the 16:9 screen which I'm still having a hard time getting past. 

There will be like a half dozen other ways to play games on the cabinet, so what's built-in is literally just the beginning.

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

The video fails because it says it would reveal the brainpower. But there is no mention of what cpu/fpga is present. So, yeh, fail.

Legit question... Does that really matter to you in this case? If it's capable of playing arcade games from the 90s back and 16-bit and earlier console titles (the 32-bit+ stuff would likely be no issue either, but there's no emulation support for that at the moment) without any performance issues, is that enough? For everything else (newer/new PC stuff basically with more demanding requirements), it's going to stream either over the Internet or locally anyway. It's not like there's a PC in there.

• Like 1

I have been on the fence about this lately.

The 30 day warranty does add Pause to a purchase.

But seeing how easy it is to put together and it looks like buttons and controllers can be easily replaced.  It is looking up.

As long as the wiring is standard that is!  I am certain someone will mod one sooner than later.

I would also like to see the process of BYOG.

I get the USB / HDMI add-ons.  That is cool and straight forward.  But if I own a Donkey Kong in shaky condition.... Can I add the roms to this machine? 

I had an Atari Basketball.  That had 2 large track balls, does that make this a 1 player game?  I guess it could be played by joystick, but not as well.

The Cabinet / Screen: Let's say this is a BASE component and the Controller "Box" is another.

Will new Controller options be available?  I could see a Star Wars yoke,  Tron Stick and Spinner,  Dual Trackball, Steering Wheel(s).

These configurations could include different games.  Steering wheel with Pole Position I + II  as well as Night Driver etc.  The Tron stick could include Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon etc.

Maybe the plan is to release different cabs every year or so.  But think of the weight and shelf space savings these controller boxes could save.

Or sell both?  I could see having 2 of these systems for ease of use. 

30 day warranty?  Thats bogus.

This is a $500 item, not a $20 handheld you can pick up at Walgreens.

AtGames should rethink that.

Not familiar with Sam's Club return policy as I'm not a member, but if its anything as liberal as Costco that may make Sam's the way to go based on that warranty.

Nobody is going to be happy if this thing breaks at day 31.

Say what you want about 1Up but their 90 days has more than covered me on my cabs.

• Like 2