IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

• 1 month later...

So I have a few questions here ....

I've read through a bunch of this thread, and though nothing is perfect, it is sounding like this system is quite popular, and probably the best, most high quality system that AtGames has put out. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting one, if the latest round of stimulus ever comes through ... or if I can get a bit further ahead financially, otherwise. Since this would be a very big purchase for me (and since I don't have the woodworking skills to build my own cabinet), can I verify this very positive overall opinion on the Legend?

Secondly, can anybody verify whether one can use the spinners to properly play some of those great Atari 2600 paddle games?

Third, any word on the rumored driving controller option? I've seen the light guns come to fruition, but haven't seen anything recently on the driving controller.

Finally, any word on how well (and how easily) the swapping out of Glen's Tron stick on this unit has gone for people? (I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea, but Tron was always one of my faves!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batchman said:

So I have a few questions here ....

I've read through a bunch of this thread, and though nothing is perfect, it is sounding like this system is quite popular, and probably the best, most high quality system that AtGames has put out. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting one, if the latest round of stimulus ever comes through ... or if I can get a bit further ahead financially, otherwise. Since this would be a very big purchase for me (and since I don't have the woodworking skills to build my own cabinet), can I verify this very positive overall opinion on the Legend?

Secondly, can anybody verify whether one can use the spinners to properly play some of those great Atari 2600 paddle games?

Third, any word on the rumored driving controller option? I've seen the light guns come to fruition, but haven't seen anything recently on the driving controller.

Finally, any word on how well (and how easily) the swapping out of Glen's Tron stick on this unit has gone for people? (I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea, but Tron was always one of my faves!)

I work for the company, so take that for what you will. It's an excellent, well-received machine, and, despite the bias, I can say it's by far the best value out there considering the wealth of features and the size.

Yes, the spinners work for both arcade and console games.

There is a worldwide component shortage, so there's a delay in bringing the light gun, driving controller, and the LCD version of the marquee to market.

It's easy to put the Tron stick in the 1.0 version of the cabinet. It's a bit trickier in the 1.1 version (the only one available since September 2020) of the cabinet because of the plastic housing, but still something relatively straightforward. I have one in my 1.0 cabinet. I suggest you ask others who have the 1.1 cabinet how it went for them and see if it's something you can handle (I think it is).

If you have other questions, I encourage you to check out the very active fan page on Facebook to hear from the owners directly.

What follows are the links to important info and community pages.

Support Email: support@atgames.net 
Legends Arcade Platform Suggestions: arcadeideas@atgames.net 
Third Party SDK and Developer Requests: addonxdev@atgames.net 

AtGames Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AtGamesGaming/ 

Legends Arcade Family Website: https://www.atgames.net/arcades 
ArcadeNet® Website: https://www.atgames.net/arcadenet/ 
AtGames E-Store: https://www.atgames.us/ 

The "Official" AtGames Global Arcade Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/457437778352096 
The Official AtGames Pinball Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/166745557972535 
ArcadeNet® Global Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1874528512701721 
The Official AtGames European Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/562933797947296/ 
Canadian Legends Ultimate Arcade and Pinball Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2712820165669557/ 
The Official AtGames Fan Page for Japan: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1119028371828915 
Official AtGames Flashback and Blast! Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AtGamesFlashbackFans/ 

AtGames Discord: https://discord.gg/ZxNtBdV 
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

I work for the company, so take that for what you will.

I DON'T work for the company.  I have been playing video games since the first pong game arrived at our local discount department store.  I could barely reach the controls and I didn't even know your were supposed to put in a quarter, but I was blown away at the prospect of moving that line up and down the television screen.

I was about fifteen when the video game pushed everything else out of the local arcades.  My friends and I made our way to the beach almost every summer day to pump those video games full of quarters.

When I was sixteen, my mom bought me  a 2600 for my birthday.  What I saved on quarters, I spent on cartridges.  Totally worth it.  Almost as great games right in my living room!

When I was eighteen, I bought my first Atari -- a 400.  The games were just about as good as the arcade games and the Atari sticks were very good.  Now I am 59 and still have a bunch of Atari hardware.  I still enjoy playing those games.

I have also toyed with emulation and considered buying or building a full size cabinet.  I messed with RetroPie.  All options were too compromised or too expensive for me.

A couple years back, I started reading about the Legends Ultimate Arcade.  Reviews of the first wave kept me in my seat, but, in November, I got the Sam's Club edition.  It is the very best toy I have ever played with.  There is no close second.  That's my opinion of this cabinet.  

If you want to post a specific game, I will try it to see how the spinners work with that particular game.  

People are seeing these in Sam's Club for as little a $199.99.  Might want to check your local store.

YMMV, of course, and I have never even seen it in stock at my Sam's Club, but I have an alert on slickdeals.net for legends ultimate arcade and I have seen a lot of people posting such prices for floor models.  I would buy a second machine at that price.  Two probably (one for each kid).  Good luck!

PS Right now, there are none in stock within 150 miles of me.

OK, my Legends Gamer arrived today, two days early.

I have a couple of minor complaints (just to be complaining ... I'm still pretty pleased with what I *think* it offers, and will post more when I have it set up and am able to try it out) ... you include a spot to hook up a power cord to the control panel, but no power cord for it?!? Sheesh!

So I've hooked it up to my computer to charge it, for now. When I'm ready for that step, do I want to plug in the thumbdrive to the controller, or to the puck? (Sorry, you make it about the size of a hockey puck, I'm gonna call it the puck ... a lot simpler than it's actual long-winded name!) And the short 6" or so HDMI cable? My puck is hanging from the back of the TV. Again, sheesh!

OK, complaining over with (at least for now) ... waiting for this thing to charge a bit so I can try it out!

25 minutes ago, Batchman said:

OK, my Legends Gamer arrived today, two days early.

I have a couple of minor complaints (just to be complaining ... I'm still pretty pleased with what I *think* it offers, and will post more when I have it set up and am able to try it out) ... you include a spot to hook up a power cord to the control panel, but no power cord for it?!? Sheesh!

So I've hooked it up to my computer to charge it, for now. When I'm ready for that step, do I want to plug in the thumbdrive to the controller, or to the puck? (Sorry, you make it about the size of a hockey puck, I'm gonna call it the puck ... a lot simpler than it's actual long-winded name!) And the short 6" or so HDMI cable? My puck is hanging from the back of the TV. Again, sheesh!

OK, complaining over with (at least for now) ... waiting for this thing to charge a bit so I can try it out!

The controller is just a controller. All of the smarts are in the "puck".

4 minutes ago, Batchman said:

So I want to plug my hub and thumb drives into the puck.

Can I charge the controller by hooking it up to the puck?

Don't take my complaints too seriously ... these are minor things ... I'm still really looking forward to this!

Yes, the puck. You can use the USB port to charge as well.

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The controller is just a controller. All of the smarts are in the "puck".

I, too, took advantage of of the sale and will soon have a "Legends Gamer Pro" -- I had a few questions that I can't really seem to find answers to anywhere...

• Can you use/add a spinner to this?
  • Can you use it as a controller on the Nintendo Switch? (The controller portion, that is)
  • If you plug it into a computer to use as a USB controller -- how is it detected? As two joysticks?  One?

I took a look at the manual on the AtGames site, but it has almost no information on anything outside of navigating the puck's OS.

13 hours ago, DavidD said:

I, too, took advantage of of the sale and will soon have a "Legends Gamer Pro" -- I had a few questions that I can't really seem to find answers to anywhere...

• Can you use/add a spinner to this?
  • Can you use it as a controller on the Nintendo Switch? (The controller portion, that is)
  • If you plug it into a computer to use as a USB controller -- how is it detected? As two joysticks?  One?

I took a look at the manual on the AtGames site, but it has almost no information on anything outside of navigating the puck's OS.

1 - Not from AtGames. Others have added button-hole spinners that have their own USB cables.

2 - No, the Switch has a proprietary protocol.

3 - It's a standard Bluetooth or USB controller. If your game doesn't automatically detect it, you can use something like Joy2Key or equivalent to map it how you want.

does the legends gamer pro have an on and off switch? The core does not. An icon to click on that powers it down in the in game menu would be just fine with me. I havent messed with mine outside of what comes built in, so far so good. 

Edited by Draxxon

51 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

does the legends gamer pro have an on and off switch? The core does not. An icon to click on that powers it down in the in game menu would be just fine with me. I havent messed with mine outside of what comes built in, so far so good. 

The controller portion does, the console portion does not. It's meant to stay on like a set top box and use minimal power. If you want, you can put a USB switch on the console and turn it on/off that way: https://amzn.to/3eNPs5g

I believe they may be working on more detailed power/sleep options for a future firmware update.

thanks man, Yeah i have usb swithces for raspberry pis, just hoping they update the firmware with a shutdown option in the future, because I dont need it on 24/7. Because i cant turn it off I actually unhook it from the tv after each use. I deff dont need that bright glowing green ring on all night long either. If the light went to sleep i dont think i would even care if it stayed on like the amazon alexa wiretap.

Amazon.com: LoveRPi MicroUSB Push On Off Power Switch Cable for Raspberry Pi (Female to Male): Electronics

Edited by Draxxon

10 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

1 - Not from AtGames. Others have added button-hole spinners that have their own USB cables.

2 - No, the Switch has a proprietary protocol.

3 - It's a standard Bluetooth or USB controller. If your game doesn't automatically detect it, you can use something like Joy2Key or equivalent to map it how you want.

Devil's advocate question 23238.2...

... would AtGames consider ADDING Switch support? Lots of generic 3rd party controllers work fine on the Switch with Bluetooth or USB.  I know I can use it with one of the existing Bluetooth adapters, but it would be nice to offer custom support.

Tied to that -- any chance of a future update to the controller firmware allowing, oh, custom mapping of the controls when we use it on other devices?

12 hours ago, DavidD said:

Devil's advocate question 23238.2...

... would AtGames consider ADDING Switch support? Lots of generic 3rd party controllers work fine on the Switch with Bluetooth or USB.  I know I can use it with one of the existing Bluetooth adapters, but it would be nice to offer custom support.

Tied to that -- any chance of a future update to the controller firmware allowing, oh, custom mapping of the controls when we use it on other devices?

For the first part, it's not something we have a plan for adding. For the second part, that's a device-side thing, so there's not really something we could provide. There are plenty of solutions already on various devices (PC, Pi, etc.).

• Like 1

Sorry about this, Bill ... but I have to rant a slight bit, and be off topic while doing so ... just wanted to say to you that I'm still appreciative about the information you provide here ...

But fracking WHY does AtGames need to include something like 20% paddle games on the Atari Flashback units, but neither provide, nor sell paddles, and even if you provide your own, they don't work well?!?!? If you don't want to support paddle games, don't include them in your 110-120 provided games!

Went to the trouble of finding a good quality refurbished set of Atari paddles, but the Flashback would barely acknowledge them, and kept flashing a message on the screen about how paddles should only be used when playing paddle games ... while playing a paddle game!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is odd... I've been trying to get the Legends Gamer Pro to sync to both a 8bitdo USB adapter and a Mayflash NS-Magic adapter, and having no luck.  What's weird is that these two will connect to nearly anything else...

I'll need to get a USB size adapter to try it as a USB controller, but I'm puzzled as to why it isn't syncing over.

• 1 month later...

Anyone here using coinopsx?

I was able to find and use v4 of the sauce.  But have not been able to go to 4.5 or find any info on v5.

I have a 1.0 cab.  I am mostly happy with the included games.  But want about a dozen not built in. 

Got a few to work with BYOG.  But the artwork etc. others do are so much better than what I fumbled through.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, 1980gamer said:

Anyone here using coinopsx?

I was able to find and use v4 of the sauce.  But have not been able to go to 4.5 or find any info on v5.

I have a 1.0 cab.  I am mostly happy with the included games.  But want about a dozen not built in. 

Got a few to work with BYOG.  But the artwork etc. others do are so much better than what I fumbled through.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"Chefs+of+reddit+saUCE"&and[]=subject%3A"CoinopsX" 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @BillLoguidice

I've been investigating how exactly UCE files work. This might be above your head, but perhaps you can contact the correct people that can fix it. Could you have them enable 4-way-joystick-emulation on UCE core files? Currently the retroplayer_ro.ini file has flags set for Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, and Burger Time using the stock mame2003-plus core, but if we build a UCE properly with a retroplayer.ini file in the ext4 partition of the UCE, we cannot enable 4-way joystick emulation on external cores. It makes playing Q-Bert, many other classic Pac-Man's, Frogger, Joust, and many other games unplayable. Likewise, can you re-enable linking UCE's to stock cores? That was really nice for keeping UCE file size down.

Or at least could you provide documentation on the retroplayer.ini file for UCE's? Likewise, could you make importing the retroplayer.ini file into the ext4 partition easier? (Include a folder that will automatically be placed into that partition for Unix/Linux builders in the AddOn Tool Linux build script? I realize that AddOn Tool for Windows cannot do this, but I've got many of the chefs building in Linux now, so things are getting better.)

Finally, is there any documentation on RetroPlayer or RetroFE? Without knowing the limitations of the emulators, we are kind of just throwing rocks at the wall and seeing what sticks for Retroarch cores. It makes building cores immensely painful and causes a lot of unnecessary trial and error. Building cores isn't fast, and having to have 30 different mame2003-plus cores just isn't fun.

Many thanks, Bill, from the saUCE chefs :)

• 1 month later...

This thread seems pretty inactive now, but I will give this a shot... I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to access the Notifications on the Legends Ultimate and was unsuccessful... it must be extremely simple and I am just missing it.  It says I have 10+ notifications now.  I DID use the search engine here on the forum as well as about 45 minutes with a dozen Google searches... so what are these notifications, and how can I access them?

I update the Legends Ultimate a couple of times a month at least... and I am on the current version as of this posting.

Thank you,

MrBlackCat

12 minutes ago, MrBlackCat said:

This thread seems pretty inactive now, but I will give this a shot... I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to access the Notifications on the Legends Ultimate and was unsuccessful... it must be extremely simple and I am just missing it.  It says I have 10+ notifications now.  I DID use the search engine here on the forum as well as about 45 minutes with a dozen Google searches... so what are these notifications, and how can I access them?

I update the Legends Ultimate a couple of times a month at least... and I am on the current version as of this posting.

Thank you,

MrBlackCat

Look at the bottom of the screen for the button to press. There's a key guide.