IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

Looks good so far! I wasn't expecting the online capabilities. An expandable library sounds great - any word on the pricing for that? And there will be online multiplayer? Will there be a built-in chat functionality as well? I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

I really can't go into too much detail about any of that just yet. Just know that there will be some versatility to access your existing PC game libraries, as well as purchase and service options (we own D2D as an example). We're really trying to keep this as versatile as possible. The onboard controls and other options offer a lot of possibilities.

• Like 1

I really can't go into too much detail about any of that just yet. Just know that there will be some versatility to access your existing PC game libraries, as well as purchase and service options (we own D2D as an example). We're really trying to keep this as versatile as possible. The onboard controls and other options offer a lot of possibilities.

Bill, Thats great, and I remain skeptical of it until people try it at E3.

I will be cautiously optimistic though.

Atgames, has a huge hill to climb back to being respectable or listened to.

Almost all the comments I have seen, are by people that have been bitten by bad quality atgames units before,

so good luck in proving them wrong.

Also, the issue of MAME versions and legality will be brought up by people, so hopefully that is covered also.

later

Bill, Thats great, and I remain skeptical of it until people try it at E3.

I will be cautiously optimistic though.

Atgames, has a huge hill to climb back to being respectable or listened to.

Almost all the comments I have seen, are by people that have been bitten by bad quality atgames units before,

so good luck in proving them wrong.

Also, the issue of MAME versions and legality will be brought up by people, so hopefully that is covered also.

later

Tons of good comments, actually, but also tons of skeptical ones (or worse). Goes with the territory. It's actually going to be live at a trade show for its first public unveiling in about a week (not sure if I can say the show yet). I don't think it will physically be at E3 (or maybe just to the press), but I haven't gotten word about it yet.

Either way, there will be plenty of demo units in various stores and other locations, so I'm not concerned about regular people getting hands-on time with them at some point.

• Like 2

Tons of good comments, actually, but also tons of skeptical ones (or worse). Goes with the territory. It's actually going to be live at a trade show for its first public unveiling in about a week (not sure if I can say the show yet). I don't think it will physically be at E3 (or maybe just to the press), but I haven't gotten word about it yet.

Either way, there will be plenty of demo units in various stores and other locations, so I'm not concerned about regular people getting hands-on time with them at some point.

Yeah, this potentially could be interesting. I hope it is, honestly. The MyArcade full size units need extra modding to be usable, so there is certainly room in the market. But I've had too many quality issues with Atgames (and to be fair, Hyperkin) over the last few years to buy it at launch. If it's solid, and reliable, I may look into getting one further down the line. Too many promises that haven't quite been realized, though from your comments, it sounds like the company has acknowledged that and is working on it, so that's good to hear.

I'm hoping that at some point, one of these new retro console manufacturers takes a page from 8bitdo's book. All their third party controllers are of high quality, solid construction and reliability, and decent prices.

That's all anyone wants, really: for all these consoles/arcade machines to feel like they are well made, work as advertised, and for the company making them to release updates that fix bugs and issues.

Looks awesome apart from one thing: the big "350 Games" right there on the front. Kinda cheapens it. Other than that it's very handsome! I absolutely love the side art.

At or around launch we should have artwork partners you can buy custom skins from, so even that is meant to be replaceable should you so choose. I too would like that part removed, though, but it appears that retailers are pretty insistent about keeping it.

• Like 4

I remember reading a press release about some Disney games being included. Besides the mentioned Tron/Wars, will this unit have some of the Capcom games as well?

Also, in terms of connectivity, does this mean we can add new games later on for a fee? Thank you.

Since I assume the full list has to wait, I was wondering if there will there be any pre split Atari arcade games here that weren't included on the three console Flashback releases?

I love the black & white era and there's even a few color games without obvious licensing issues like Food Fight that missed the cut (Although that one with the analog style joystick might be tough to include).

Edited by Atariboy

I remember reading a press release about some Disney games being included. Besides the mentioned Tron/Wars, will this unit have some of the Capcom games as well?

Also, in terms of connectivity, does this mean we can add new games later on for a fee? Thank you.

There will be the built-in games, but also an ability to add more games, either via a fee/service, or on your own, for instance by interfacing with your existing PC game service libraries. Sorry to be vague, but some of the info needs to be saved for future big announcements. The bottom line is that there will be lots of flexibility to add more games beyond just the ways you'd expect.

• Like 2

Since I assume the full list has to wait, I was wondering if there will there be any pre split Atari arcade games here that weren't included on the three console Flashback releases?

I love the black & white era and there's even a few color games without obvious licensing issues like Food Fight that missed the cut (Although that one with the analog style joystick might be tough to include).

Yeah, it's unfortunate licensing is a minefield. I don't think there was necessarily much expectation that this stuff would have value 40, 30, or even 20 years on, otherwise I think paths of ownership would have been maintained better. Even with hundreds of licensed games built-in, there's going to be a LOT missing, but hopefully the various options and ways to "BYOG" as we're calling it will get a customer pretty much all the way to having just about every game they could want (at least that's suitable for the onboard controls - there are already concerns about not having a trigger joystick or a flight yoke, etc., but it's hard to account for EVERY control type (hopefully with add-ons we can address some of those desires)). It's a tall order, obviously, but we hope between all that (including connectivity) and dev kits, etc., creative solutions can be found.

• Like 1

At or around launch we should have artwork partners you can buy custom skins from, so even that is meant to be replaceable should you so choose. I too would like that part removed, though, but it appears that retailers are pretty insistent about keeping it.

I guess that makes sense for the display units. Not a biggie anyway, it looks very cool. Hopefully someone will carry them over here in little old New Zealand.

I guess that makes sense for the display units. Not a biggie anyway, it looks very cool. Hopefully someone will carry them over here in little old New Zealand.

We've been getting asked a lot about other territories, but for now it's just going to be a US launch. Hopefully that changes for 2020.

Look like a render to me... probably never make it to market... probably just keep our three million dollars too. (KIDDING!)

OH WAIT! This isn't the Ataco-Box!

Take my money... and I will have some left at the suggested price point. :D

The only deal breaker for me at this point would be if this goes to an IndieGoGo listing. :)

I can't wait for details to get ironed out... the funds are set and waiting for this one.

MrBlackCat

• Like 1

As a "certain breed of commenter" I will speak exactly how I feel.

As a gamer of a "certain age" I might want to sprawl out on the couch rather than scrunch up against a mini-arcade machine. The stand-up form factor of the traditional arcade is born of commercial function and limitations rather than comfort for the player - save except for some sit-downs. And the repetitive slapping motions can cause permanent injury.

So. That aside.. What's the hardware like in this? Some sort of low-cost R-Pi equivalent?
Edited by Keatah

there are already concerns about not having a trigger joystick or a flight yoke, etc., but it's hard to account for EVERY control type (hopefully with add-ons we can address some of those desires)). It's a tall order, obviously, but we hope between all that (including connectivity) and dev kits, etc., creative solutions can be found.

Since Atgames totally loves adding paddle games (which don't work right with joysticks) to their systems I'd say that any "concerns" may very well be warranted. I saw you said something like the "artwork is not finalized", so I'll try not to be disappointed that I see both Tron and Star Wars listed on the front, although no yoke or trigger stick. Hopefully they won't be included after all.

I dig it in concept at this point.. I mean it's basically the idea of a Mame cab (in a generic terms, not in reference to what emulator is being used) for the mass retail market. Obviously custom emulation cabinets have been a thing for a long while, and while this doesn't have the "thousands" of games that a custom build would, it brings that idea to the average consumer with what seems like a good selection of titles and a control panel with joysticks, buttons, spinners, and trackball to handle the majority of titles. I also like the idea of the flexibility to add more games and customize the artwork. While I personally probably wouldn't be a consumer of this product, I'm glad that something like it is coming to market. We'll see how it goes once more details are shown. :)

• Like 1

How about making that part peel off? Kind of like an oversticker that gets removed to show the actual artwork underneath? Retailers happy, buyers happy? (Atgames maybe less happy at the added cost)

• Like 1

Since Atgames totally loves adding paddle games (which don't work right with joysticks) to their systems I'd say that any "concerns" may very well be warranted. I saw you said something like the "artwork is not finalized", so I'll try not to be disappointed that I see both Tron and Star Wars listed on the front, although no yoke or trigger stick. Hopefully they won't be included after all.

Well, there are no plans for trigger joysticks or flight yokes, so definitely don't think those are coming. There is some flexibility with external controls, though, so we'll see how that goes.

In artwork terms, the design is not yet final. It's close, though.

So. That aside.. What's the hardware like in this? Some sort of low-cost R-Pi equivalent?

No, this has more power than the usual Raspberry-Pi or other hardware you'd find in something like a plug and play console. We'll get more into specs and what-not at a later date.

• Like 2