Jump to content
Bill Loguidice

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, sulaco said:

Hey Bill,

 

What is Atgames view on rooting/jailbreaking the LUA? I was able to get to a root shell and was going to share some of my findings over in the subreddit, but then saw you here.

 

The Add On system and SDK provide most of the functionality most people would want, but it’s nice to have full control.

 

Loving the system so far and so do my kids.

We are OK with it and encourage software development, etc., with the caveat that there are limits to what we can support should something break.

As a teaser, I will say there are three very cool features coming very soon that should obviate the need for most mods (or at least point to where things are continuing to evolve). One of them is enabling Bluetooth, which, for instance, will allow something like a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie to connect over HDMI and Bluetooth (we'll continue to try and add support for other devices) and make use of both the screen and controls like our Blast!'s and consoles already do.

We're still hitting weekly updates, so expect the next one by tomorrow or the next day per usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having R-Pi support would be a real boon alright. Millions of people already use R-Pi for entry-level emulation. And many evolved emulators already work on R-Pi to begin with. So. Yes. A good thing.

 

I wonder if Intel's NUCs would also somehow be supported as they have built-in BT and other good connectivity options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Having R-Pi support would be a real boon alright. Millions of people already use R-Pi for entry-level emulation. And many evolved emulators already work on R-Pi to begin with. So. Yes. A good thing.

 

I wonder if Intel's NUCs would also somehow be supported as they have built-in BT and other good connectivity options.

The key is HDMI output (to the cabinet) and being able to connect to a "standard" Bluetooth controller, so lots of devices should in theory be able to work without issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NUC accepts Linux or Windows. Newer ones comply to 5.x BT standard. And there is 1 HDMI and 1 HDMA/Thunderbolt port. So it fits then.

 

Next to the R-Pi these are awesome little emulation rigs. They're 10x - 20x more expensive, but then you've got a whole powerhouse i7 system packed into the volume of a soda can. They're so trouble-free and stable I wouldn't recommend anything else as a companion, unless you start getting into DIY motherboards and kits and stuff.

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve been very impressed with the speed of development and turnaround you all are doing. Keep it up! I really hope you guys sell a ton of these and are able to expand this platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we can track all the ideas and suggestions from Legends Ultimate owners going forward, please send your ideas/suggestions to [email protected] and we'll log them. There's no guarantee we'll be able to implement every idea/suggestion, but we'll make sure we look at them. Thanks!

 

76897190_10217487540235093_5045091395900

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I love this thing! ... Just checked and the latest firmware is still 3.0.11, the b in 3.0.12b must be for beta. So based on the other releases, probably be out there Monday for general public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

OMG I love this thing! ... Just checked and the latest firmware is still 3.0.11, the b in 3.0.12b must be for beta. So based on the other releases, probably be out there Monday for general public.

Available now if you want it. Link to open beta here....

 

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/release-notes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Available now if you want it. Link to open beta here....

 

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/release-notes/

Can't figure out how to prepare the flash drive/file, don't see anything about it in the faq. I see that other atgames products you just drop a renamed img file on a fat32 drive, in this case I tried "ha8800_update.img" (tried the full file name too), but it isn't recognized by the arcade. When I boot with recovery it just says "no supported firmware found". Tried Win32DiskImager and Rufus to write the img to usb, but no luck... Any ideas what I'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

Can't figure out how to prepare the flash drive/file, don't see anything about it in the faq. I see that other atgames products you just drop a renamed img file on a fat32 drive, in this case I tried "ha8800_update.img" (tried the full file name too), but it isn't recognized by the arcade. When I boot with recovery it just says "no supported firmware found". Tried Win32DiskImager and Rufus to write the img to usb, but no luck... Any ideas what I'm missing?

I had the same issue with the first USB stick I tried. I tried a different USB stick and that one worked by simply downloading the file to the USB stick, then renaming it as indicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried 5 other flash drives/sd cards of various sizes. Would I maybe have to do a factory reset first? does it matter which usb port I use (tried both, just wondering)? just to confirm too, I just press and hold just the recover button and power on then release recovery when I see the legends logo. I imagine since I'm getting to the firmware not found screen I'm doing that part right and its just a file issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

Tried 5 other flash drives/sd cards of various sizes. Would I maybe have to do a factory reset first? does it matter which usb port I use (tried both, just wondering)? just to confirm too, I just press and hold just the recover button and power on then release recovery when I see the legends logo. I imagine since I'm getting to the firmware not found screen I'm doing that part right and its just a file issue.

For a factory reset check the faq, you're not pressing all the right buttons....https://www.atgames.net/arcades/faq/

 

1. Power off the arcade.

2. Press and hold down START + MENU buttons, as well as the recovery button via a pin.

3. Power on the arcade.

4. Release the recovery button once the LCD turns on. (the blue light will turn on)

5. Not in the FAQ, but keep pressing the start+menu button until you see the AtGames logo disappear and then release them both.

 

It can be a bit tricky if you've not done it before. That said, if you have the image file correctly named there's no need to do a factory reset which by the way doesn't erase your personal login or wi-fi info anyway. It just puts you back on version 1.xxx of the firmware. Once you plug in the USB stick with the firmware and the Legends reads it correctly a window will pop up prompting you and ask if you want to do the upgrade. There's no need to boot with the USB stick in for it to work. Have you tried any addon games? Did your Legends read those from the USB Stick without any problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skeeter said:

For a factory reset check the faq, you're not pressing all the right buttons....https://www.atgames.net/arcades/faq/

 

1. Power off the arcade.

2. Press and hold down START + MENU buttons, as well as the recovery button via a pin.

3. Power on the arcade.

4. Release the recovery button once the LCD turns on. (the blue light will turn on)

5. Not in the FAQ, but keep pressing the start+menu button until you see the AtGames logo disappear and then release them both.

 

It can be a bit tricky if you've not done it before. That said, if you have the image file correctly named there's no need to do a factory reset which by the way doesn't erase your personal login or wi-fi info anyway. It just puts you back on version 1.xxx of the firmware. Once you plug in the USB stick with the firmware and the Legends reads it correctly a window will pop up prompting you and ask if you want to do the upgrade. There's no need to boot with the USB stick in for it to work. Have you tried any addon games? Did your Legends read those from the USB Stick without any problems?

I was able to get it to bring up factory reset, but I'm trying to get to the firmware upgrade part, not the factory reset (unless thats required to flash the beta, but does'nt sound like it). Other atgames units you press only the recovery button and power, so that's what I did here to get to that point and other than saying it cant find the file it looks like the right screen. For the game addons, yes I used the same usb with games and put the image file on it, then when that didnt work tried the stuff i mentioned before. It's got to be something simple I'm missing.

 

Are you saying it should start the upgrade on boot by just powering it on without holding recovery?

 

 

Doh! I come from the android world where flashing firmware is always from power down... just plugged in the usb when it was fully powered up and I got the upgrade popup! They made it too easy! lol

Edited by Professorpoptart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a couple things as FYI to other people, after updating to 3.0.12b I messed around for a while trying to get the arcade controls to show up, at some point it went unresponsive on the Bluetooth settings popup and it forced me to reboot. When it came back up it started showing up on other devices. So if anyone runs into issues reboot one more time after the firmware update. In the video the devices showed up as RockChip, for me it showed up as HA8800-xxxx. No issues with the RetroPi works just like the video since we can map the controls. 

 

I tested it on my android phone, didn't test a bunch of stuff but since I was able to control the phones home screen with the arcade joysticks wanted to see if I could load up xCloud. I had to pair an Xbox controller too to get the app to load up. Once into a game, it looks like the app only passed the Xbox controls to the app, so no go until xCloud allows standard Bluetooth controllers. Any apps that can map controls probably work fine. Also I just propped up my phone rather then connecting the HDMI and one thing to keep in mind is that you should switch video inputs even if there's no video input because the control deck inputs gets still get processed even when connected, so up/A will happen on both the phone and the arcade. This is the same with the other devices, but I didn't notice since I was switching HDMI on the other devices.  

 

I tried to pair to a PS4, it pairs but that's about it, joysticks wont even move the selector.

 

I paired to a windows 10 PC, the game-pad windows settings show that only player one controls are working. Now that I think of it I didn't test 2nd play on the RetroPi either, might be the same case there. So no PC local multiplayer yet (unless its streamed). But still zero latency single player!

 

This is super exciting opens a ton of doors!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

So a couple things as FYI to other people, after updating to 3.0.12b I messed around for a while trying to get the arcade controls to show up, at some point it went unresponsive on the Bluetooth settings popup and it forced me to reboot. When it came back up it started showing up on other devices. So if anyone runs into issues reboot one more time after the firmware update. In the video the devices showed up as RockChip, for me it showed up as HA8800-xxxx. No issues with the RetroPi works just like the video since we can map the controls. 

 

I tested it on my android phone, didn't test a bunch of stuff but since I was able to control the phones home screen with the arcade joysticks wanted to see if I could load up xCloud. I had to pair an Xbox controller too to get the app to load up. Once into a game, it looks like the app only passed the Xbox controls to the app, so no go until xCloud allows standard Bluetooth controllers. Any apps that can map controls probably work fine. Also I just propped up my phone rather then connecting the HDMI and one thing to keep in mind is that you should switch video inputs even if there's no video input because the control deck inputs gets still get processed even when connected, so up/A will happen on both the phone and the arcade. This is the same with the other devices, but I didn't notice since I was switching HDMI on the other devices.  

 

I tried to pair to a PS4, it pairs but that's about it, joysticks wont even move the selector.

 

I paired to a windows 10 PC, the game-pad windows settings show that only player one controls are working. Now that I think of it I didn't test 2nd play on the RetroPi either, might be the same case there. So no PC local multiplayer yet (unless its streamed). But still zero latency single player!

 

This is super exciting opens a ton of doors!

In the beta, only the Player 1 joystick controls are working. Additional (future, ongoing) updates will open up the rest of the control panel and also make it easier for other devices to work with it, as well as add additional Bluetooth features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so my move is being put off and I'm seriously thinking to get myself one of these for Christmas (or ask for one). Just to confirm, the only real places to buy this right now are Costco in person or Wal-Mart online, correct? I'm not a Costco member and don't really want to become one, so I'm basically stuck with having Wal-Mart ship it and paying the extra $100?

 

Has anyone here gotten one of these by shipping rather than picking it up? Everyone I've seen who's actually said how they got it picked it up. I've read a couple of reviews on Walmart.com from people who said theirs came smashed up, and that seems like a real headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Ok, so my move is being put off and I'm seriously thinking to get myself one of these for Christmas (or ask for one). Just to confirm, the only real places to buy this right now are Costco in person or Wal-Mart online, correct? I'm not a Costco member and don't really want to become one, so I'm basically stuck with having Wal-Mart ship it and paying the extra $100?

 

Has anyone here gotten one of these by shipping rather than picking it up? Everyone I've seen who's actually said how they got it picked it up. I've read a couple of reviews on Walmart.com from people who said theirs came smashed up, and that seems like a real headache.

 

Sam's Club in-store or online or Walmart.com (not in-store). And yes, there have been some issues with the shippers damaging the cabinets, but it's not all the time, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Has anyone here gotten one of these by shipping rather than picking it up? Everyone I've seen who's actually said how they got it picked it up. I've read a couple of reviews on Walmart.com from people who said theirs came smashed up, and that seems like a real headache.

Mine from Walmart was shipped to my door. It came UPS and the UPS guy put the box on a dolly and brought it up a flight of stairs for me. The box and cabinet were in great shape, no damages at all. I would not hesitate there. People seem to think that in store pickup is better but I disagree. That box is not going to get any better treatment in handling on it's way to the store (not to mention what the employees in the store will do with it) , you don't have to go pick it up, and if there's a problem you can always return it to your local store or have UPS come get it.

 

My problems have all been with the internal electronics, notably loose connectors that were easily fixed and a bad USB cable. I found 2-3 loose connections, one was a ribbon cable that was so loose it fell off when I touched it and a HDMI cable that wasn't pushed in far enough. The USB cable running between the USB board and CPU was my real problem. After 10 days or so my USB ports quit working. First, I found a loose connection there and re-seated it which didn't help. Closer inspection revealed a frayed cable caused by an over zealous application of one of those plastic zip ties used to hold numerous cables together. Cable management only works if the cables work, heh. I managed to tape it up and get it working. I'm waiting on a new cable (at my expense) to arrive to fix it proper, Amazon sent me the wrong one the first time, but so far I've had no other issues.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody getting the controls to connect to the pi after rebooting? 
 

Everything works fine on first setup. Followed Ralph’s suggestions on setup. After reboot nothing works. I have to go into the pi and remove the atgames controller under Bluetooth and reboot then reconnect everything as it’s the first time. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by SoonerDoc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Professorpoptart said:

Do we have a place to download current or previous firmware versions? Tried to edit the beta link but doesn't look like the files are under assets.

The beta firmware is available under the release notes: https://www.atgames.net/arcades/release-notes/

 

The official Release firmware is always delivered OTA to reduce issues with people trying to use old, unsupported firmware. Although there are unofficial repositories that host the firmware files, you can ask [email protected] should you be having trouble with the OTA update and need the current file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill, 

 

How do you get the player 2 controls with the new beta firmware?  Got it installed. Set Bluetooth to client. Pi only sees one HA8800 device. 

 

THANKS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...