IGNORED

CF7+ question.

DavidC

Wasn't there some sort of problem with CF7 and F18A due to the F18A taking longer to initialise itself at power on than the original VDP? Can't remember the details, and might be completely wrong!

oh yes! I forgot about that.. there is.. CF7 and older nanopebs would freak out if there's an f18a due to the fact that the f18a takes a few more milliseconds to init vdp ram.. You need an upgraded unit with the fix. it should say F18 in the cf7/nano title screen line

• Like 1

I have the F18a mod on my TI. That wouldn't cause a conflict, would it? It's just video out to a modern tv with VGA cable. PC input on the tv I'm using. That wouldn't/shouldn't have anything to do with the CF7+. . .?

Yes, it can! My CF7A+ does not work well at all on my F18A modified TI consoles. Even my V! and V2 NanoPEBs are not great with the F18A TI consoles. Only the F18 V1 NanoPEB works well them, and CF cards of various capacities and brands make a difference in how well they work. That's probably why there is a F18 V1 NanoPEB unit.

In any case, I'm going to make up an elaborate 32MB CF card for you, but it will take some time, but will increase your capabilities significantly. I understand how much the video output is improved by the F18A, but I would have recommended a FinalGROM 99 as your first upgrade, and I'm sure you could of found the 32K chip which is a HY62256ALP-10, in my CF7A+ unit, on line for a fraction of the 32K expansion that you have. Because you do have these upgrades, I will include programs that will make good use of these upgrades. Please understand that I've been doing TI-99/4A software development since Christmas of 1982 (helping my son do TI Basic programming), and 9640 Geneve software development since the early 1990's. Actually I had a Geneve since the second batch was made, it took some time dealing with the GenMOD MEMEX problems, and learning about XOP's, 2MB memory management (later; 192K VDP memory management, and Paul Charltom GenPROG (assembler and linker for the Geneve) before I was able to program in MDOS rather than GPL (TI mode). I just think I will be able to provide you with some very fun things to do with your TI system as it is.

Bill

• Like 1

That must be it, the F18a. I do remember the management screen working properly (when starting extended basic) before I installed the f18 mod. That was a couple years ago. So...wont the same thing happen again if I replace the CF card with a fresh one? Which I am going to do anyway. Haha. Thank you very much guys for your help, and FDOS, I'm excited to see what you include on the card. Thanks for taking the time out to help me.

That must be it, the F18a. I do remember the management screen working properly (when starting extended basic) before I installed the f18 mod. That was a couple years ago. So...wont the same thing happen again if I replace the CF card with a fresh one? Which I am going to do anyway. Haha. Thank you very much guys for your help, and FDOS, I'm excited to see what you include on the card. Thanks for taking the time out to help me.

Yes, helping others is what this community is all about. We've all had to have some help at some time or another in one area or another. I certainly don't know it all even after over 3 decades of experience, and that's as it should be, as we all have different areas of interest. I prefer to program in forth, but I've been forced to dabble in AL from time to time in support of forth and TI Basic development. Currently, I'm concentrating on TI Basic Plus (TIB+) on my NanoPEB and SNUG TI-99/4P systems, but I will get back to X4th99 development. Also understand that my area of development in both cases, is expanded memory capability; 2MB for Geneve MDOS, 1MB SAMS for my TI systems. Which means I'm also in the process of making a 1MB SAMS sidecar for the NanoPEB systems, as I aim to disable the on board 32K as Inadequate for X4th99 and TIB+ development. The expanded memory development also includes 192K VDP memory for both the Geneve and SNUG TI-99/4P.

I can supply a larger capacity CF card than 32MB, if you prefer, but know that I've not had any success with any brand CF card over 512MB for my CF7A+, so all I have in that range are 256MB and 512MB, the remainder are 1GB to 4GB (mostly 1GB & 2GB) and I have no idea what they cost at this time. Another important question for you, is which XB are you using?

Bill

• Like 1

Yes, helping others is what this community is all about. We've all had to have some help at some time or another in one area or another. I certainly don't know it all even after over 3 decades of experience, and that's as it should be, as we all have different areas of interest. I prefer to program in forth, but I've been forced to dabble in AL from time to time in support of forth and TI Basic development. Currently, I'm concentrating on TI Basic Plus (TIB+) on my NanoPEB and SNUG TI-99/4P systems, but I will get back to X4th99 development. Also understand that my area of development in both cases, is expanded memory capability; 2MB for Geneve MDOS, 1MB SAMS for my TI systems. Which means I'm also in the process of making a 1MB SAMS sidecar for the NanoPEB systems, as I aim to disable the on board 32K as Inadequate for X4th99 and TIB+ development. The expanded memory development also includes 192K VDP memory for both the Geneve and SNUG TI-99/4P.

I can supply a larger capacity CF card than 32MB, if you prefer, but know that I've not had any success with any brand CF card over 512MB for my CF7A+, so all I have in that range are 256MB and 512MB, the remainder are 1GB to 4GB (mostly 1GB & 2GB) and I have no idea what they cost at this time. Another important question for you, is which XB are you using?

Bill

Wow, thats amazing! I'm happy to put two Sprites on the screen at once. Its been awhile...

My Extended basic is the TI Extended basic cartridge, from 1982 if thats what you mean. As far as the CF card goes, 256mb should be more than I could ever use unless I get stuck by lightning and somehow become a genius. lol.

You mentioned your CF7 has 32k onboard and the chip is HY62256ALP-10. I looked online and yes they are readily available. Is it as simple as just socketing the chip and now my CF7 has 32k onboard? Just, plug and play?

I do have other consoles. Including the original one my father bought me back in the early 80's. I would rather use the CF7 with my original TI so as not to damage or corrupt the card with my F18 console. I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks again to you, and this community. The internet is a better place because of Atariage.

Bill

Wow, thats amazing! I'm happy to put two Sprites on the screen at once. Its been awhile...

My Extended basic is the TI Extended basic cartridge, from 1982 if thats what you mean. As far as the CF card goes, 256mb should be more than I could ever use unless I get stuck by lightning and somehow become a genius. lol.

You mentioned your CF7 has 32k onboard and the chip is HY62256ALP-10. I looked online and yes they are readily available. Is it as simple as just socketing the chip and now my CF7 has 32k onboard? Just, plug and play?

I do have other consoles. Including the original one my father bought me back in the early 80's. I would rather use the CF7 with my original TI so as not to damage or corrupt the card with my F18 console. I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks again to you, and this community. The internet is a better place because of Atariage.

OK, where to begin. Yes, you can just plug the chip in the empty socket, and immediately have 32K available memory. In XB at the command line: CALL VERSION(V) :: PRINT V ! This will tell us the exact XB version. Probably 110.

Next SIZE

13928 BYTES FREE ! This is VDP memory only

SIZE

13928 BYTES OF STACK FREE

24511 BYTES OF PROGRAM SPACE FREE

These values are not always the same due to what may already be in memory, mode setting, and file buffers allocated, etc.

The CF7+ and all NanoPEB units only access and use half the capaciry of the CF card. It was just easier for Jaime to do it this way due to the 512 byte PC sector vs the 256 byte TI sector., and it's not as simple as odd and even 256 byte division of 512 bytes. It jus means a 256MB CF will only hold up to 128MB of TI files. The 256MB CF I have is a SanDisk. However, because you're choosing to use a non-F18A TI console, means we can do even mor than what I originally planned. Which means I will have to ask you some more questions, but first I will have to give it some more thought, as there are areas available to XB operations that I did not find useful because of my departure from all TI things XB. I'll explain later.

Yes it is version 110

and the size thing, that would be console specific, correct? The F18 console with the 32k internal chip is

13904 stack free

24480 of program space free

without the CF7 connected.

my other consoles are not readily available i would have to get one of them out of storage, but they are original equipment. not modified at all.

Edited by DavidC

Yes it is version 110

and the size thing, that would be console specific, correct? The F18 console with the 32k internal chip is

13904 stack free

24480 of program space free

without the CF7 connected.

my other consoles are not readily available i would have to get one of them out of storage, but they are original equipment. not modified at all.

Yes, this is as expected due to the F18A & 32k TI console, so you don't want to add the 32K chip to the CF7+ until you switch to a standard TI console with 9918A VDP. Once you start thinking about the next upgrade, be sure to put a FinalGROM 99 (FG99) high up on your list, as It can almost provide you with every single module ever made for the TI-99/4A, including all the ATARI and most of the MBX modules, on a single standard TI size module. A dozen different, enhanced Extended Basics. that are far more capable than TI XB 110, not to mention all kinds of XB add on features, and then there's Funnelweb to consider. It is more like an XB environment, so you still get to choose your specific XB, but you need to talk to those who are currently using it. Originally it didn't work well with CF7+ and NanoPEB systems, but I believe they have most of those issues fixed or by-passed now. Which brings me to my position of bowing out of the XB usage of any type. I have two or 3 XB modules, and I was able to use my 80K MG GramKracker to create the XB EA with lowercase characters, assembler & linker GK files, and save to DSK or CF volumes, using the GK files included on the MG GK disks that came with the MG GramKracker. It was great, as it included dozens of new features, and you could easily switch back and forth between XB and EA. I was early into all the best stuff that came out for TI & Geneve systems. Earlier Myarc had come out with an all AL (no GPL) XB II Level IV that had a 128KOS that required a minimum 28K RAM card, but it shortly grew to 512K, allowing 128K for the OS, 360K for a RAM disk, and 64K print spooler. I don't know until this day what happened to my Myarc 512K card. Even before Myarc 128K/512K card, Foundation came out with a 128K card that was suppose to be a non-battery powered RAM disk, but the DSR was not ready, but they put it on the market anyway. It was quite some time before it functioned as a simple RAM disk that had to be loaded up every time it was powered up. Fortunately Myarc created DSR chip for the Foundation card, so it could be used with the Myarc 128KOS XB II Level IV after they released version 2.12. Prior to 2.12 the Myar XB II Level IV had many problems, but version 2.12 was very good. The only really big problem remaining was the cost of the RAM card and module, which meant there weren't many users. It was totally unique in the TI & Geneve community, even though the GPL version Basic was based on V2.11, so buggy. It took years before the final MDOS Basic became really good, but by then I was doing all my development in forth; Forth+ for MDOS and X4th99 for the TI-99/4A&P. Forth+ was officially released in December of 1993. Sad to say it never had more than 10 registered users, but new hope struck when MESS introduced a Geneve MDOS emulator. I was going to Poland for about a year, so I took my PFM+512K Geneve with me, and started developing Forth+ V2.00, which primarily was to simplify user management & control of the V9938 192K memory for all text and graphic modes. Also never released due to few MESS users actually using the Geneve MDOS emulation. Of course, I was one of the few, so I decided to return to developing software for TI-99/4A&P systems only. Which is why I currently spend so much time trying to fix my old Geneve, SCSI and IDE systems. I will keep one SCSi PEB card for SNUG TI-99/4P, the Myar HFDC card, 1 Myarc FDC with 80 track modifcation (the other Myarc FDC w/80 track, also has the AMA/AMB/AMC Geneve memory modification and will probably be sold with the GenMOD Geneve & 2MB Memex).

Now you know why I'm where I'm at. Most of the repair, work so far, has just been 5VDC & 12VDC regulator replacement. All due to my haste to get back on hobby track too soon after my event that put me in the hospital at Nellis USAF base for 6 days.

Somewhat of a side question concerning the CF7/NanoPEB...

Does anyone have a link for the PC software? I have a Nano v1, and Im looking for the utilities to manage the drives on a PC.

The PC software that supports the CF7 and NanoPEB side cars (all versions) is produced by Fred Kaal; namely, TI99dir, CFHDX (as a server via PIO or RS232 connections). Jaime Malilong only produced TI software (modified DM 1000 to CF manager; personally I prefer Fred Kaal's CF2K & DM2K), and He (Jaime) provided other "common" software to transfer files from/to a PC.

I honestly don't know what to say...what happened at Nellis? I'm intrigued.

Sorry, busy loading up a 256MB CF card for you. I prefer to leave my time at the Nellis AFB hospital in the past, as I believe the meds I'm taking are worse than the original very high blood pressure caused by an unknown event in the middle of the night, and repeated the next day witnessed by a doctor and two nurses while I was hooked up to EKG machine that did not reveal any precise data for a good diagnosis.

Back to the matter at hand. Unfortunately, I have a little more bad news; because CALL MOUNT/UMOUNT don't work in running programs, I managed to modify a couple of programs that MOUNT & verify what CF volumes are mounted that work in TI Basic and XB (just not TI XB), in fact, every XB I've tried so far. That's not all; in the process I've discovered that the FinalGROM 99 causes even more problems for the NanoPEB-F18 V1 with my F18A TI consoles than the CF7 and the other NanoPEB versions, but not the case with the FlashROM 99, as long as all the connections to the TI are solid.

Sorry again, that I don't have better news except that a few tests with a usable XB I successfully accessed and did a few operations in FunnelWeb. Video was excellent with my NanoPEB-F18 V1. I'm sure more extensive testing should be done, as I don't remember just what the difficulties were with FW and CF7/NanoPEB. I don't know what to suggest to you now, as to what upgrades you should put high on your list from this point on. Do you still want me to send you this 256MB CF card? Or do you want to think about it? Let me know soon.

Back to the matter at hand. Unfortunately, I have a little more bad news; because CALL MOUNT/UMOUNT don't work in running programs, I managed to modify a couple of programs that MOUNT & verify what CF volumes are mounted that work in TI Basic and XB (just not TI XB), in fact, every XB I've tried so far.

If you have not seen it, have a look at @Stuart’s post #14 in “NanoPEB, help me understand it”. He references @moulinaie’s website where Guillaume (@moulinaie) presents his downloadable programs for temporary and permanent MOUNTing of CF7+/nanoPEB volumes as program instructions in XB.

Before I became aware of Guillaume’s work, I had developed a temporary (read,“until console reset”) mounting command for fbForth 2.0, but wanted one that would survive a console reset. One of these days ere long I will port Guillaume’s solution to fbForth 2.0, but I digress... |:)

...lee

Sorry, busy loading up a 256MB CF card for you. I prefer to leave my time at the Nellis AFB hospital in the past, as I believe the meds I'm taking are worse than the original very high blood pressure caused by an unknown event in the middle of the night, and repeated the next day witnessed by a doctor and two nurses while I was hooked up to EKG machine that did not reveal any precise data for a good diagnosis.

Back to the matter at hand. Unfortunately, I have a little more bad news; because CALL MOUNT/UMOUNT don't work in running programs, I managed to modify a couple of programs that MOUNT & verify what CF volumes are mounted that work in TI Basic and XB (just not TI XB), in fact, every XB I've tried so far. That's not all; in the process I've discovered that the FinalGROM 99 causes even more problems for the NanoPEB-F18 V1 with my F18A TI consoles than the CF7 and the other NanoPEB versions, but not the case with the FlashROM 99, as long as all the connections to the TI are solid.

Sorry again, that I don't have better news except that a few tests with a usable XB I successfully accessed and did a few operations in FunnelWeb. Video was excellent with my NanoPEB-F18 V1. I'm sure more extensive testing should be done, as I don't remember just what the difficulties were with FW and CF7/NanoPEB. I don't know what to suggest to you now, as to what upgrades you should put high on your list from this point on. Do you still want me to send you this 256MB CF card? Or do you want to think about it? Let me know soon.

Yes, please and thank you!

I'll send you a pm. Thank you!

I will happily and gladly pay shipping and handling and time spent for a reformatted card that brings my cf7 and my TI back to normal. Please?

Here's a video I created earlier this year that shows you how to format the CF card for use with a nanoPEB. I presume it would be the same for the cf7:

• Like 2

Here's a video I created earlier this year that shows you how to format the CF card for use with a nanoPEB. I presume it would be the same for the cf7:

https://youtu.be/cJ5v9d3LeJg

I watched this the other day. I subscribed to your channel the other day! Lol! Good stuff and thank you.

Edit.

I don't have the required cables and/or software on my win7 PC.

Edited by DavidC

Thanks for watching and for subscribing! So much more planned :)

Hopefully it will help you out in the future- you may just need a CF adapter, they're pretty cheap on Amazon. Definitely worth giving it a try. This is the one I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARAH6O0but it's no longer available. Here's one similar: https://www.amazon.com/Cateck-Aluminum-Superspeed-MacBook-Laptops/dp/B06XCZ4LPJ

I watched this the other day. I subscribed to your channel the other day! Lol! Good stuff and thank you.

Edit.

I don't have the required cables and/or software on my win7 PC.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

here I go bumping an old thread ... because that's what I have: A CF7+ question. Hope anybody can help.

I've got a CF7+ around 2018 (see pic below). It's working fine, but now I want to hook it up to a Ti99HDX-Server. Lockdown --> Spare time ;-)

According to the TI99-Geek, one have to add a wire to the CF7+ and build a special parallel cable.

The pictures on his site depict a different CF7+ card and he's also calling it CF7A+.

Here are my questions:

1. Is my CF7+ version able to connect to a Ti99HDX-Server (see pic below)?
    1. If no: is there any other chance of some kind of connectivity besides (maybe) printing?
    2. If yes: what cable do I need? Do I have to build the same cable, as suggested by the TI99-Geek, or would a standard parallel-cable suffice?
    3. If yes: do I have to mod my version of the CF7+ with a wire, and if yes, how?
  2. How do I find out, what version/firmware my CF7+ is/have?
  3. What other software supports the CF7+ besides CFHDXP1 and DSK2PC?
  4. And what is an CF7A+ card? Is my card outdated?
  5. What is an HDX mod and can I convert my CF7+ into an RS232-card somehow?
    1. If no: Is there any chance to use TELNET (or other TCP-related stuff) with a CF7+?

My CF7+ w/o IDE-Interface:

CF7-Plus.thumb.jpg.2d9e2753bccfe2dd81ff795bf1662410.jpg

I know, ... many questions. But after poking around for quite a while here and other places I couldn't find anything really tangible to my problem.

That's why: any help would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Andreas

On 1/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, acme said:

Hello,

here I go bumping an old thread ... because that's what I have: A CF7+ question. Hope anybody can help.

I've got a CF7+ around 2018 (see pic below). It's working fine, but now I want to hook it up to a Ti99HDX-Server. Lockdown --> Spare time ;-)

According to the TI99-Geek, one have to add a wire to the CF7+ and build a special parallel cable.

The pictures on his site depict a different CF7+ card and he's also calling it CF7A+.

Here are my questions:

1. Is my CF7+ version able to connect to a Ti99HDX-Server (see pic below)?
    1. If no: is there any other chance of some kind of connectivity besides (maybe) printing?
    2. If yes: what cable do I need? Do I have to build the same cable, as suggested by the TI99-Geek, or would a standard parallel-cable suffice?
    3. If yes: do I have to mod my version of the CF7+ with a wire, and if yes, how?
  2. How do I find out, what version/firmware my CF7+ is/have?
  3. What other software supports the CF7+ besides CFHDXP1 and DSK2PC?
  4. And what is an CF7A+ card? Is my card outdated?
  5. What is an HDX mod and can I convert my CF7+ into an RS232-card somehow?
    1. If no: Is there any chance to use TELNET (or other TCP-related stuff) with a CF7+?

My CF7+ w/o IDE-Interface:

CF7-Plus.thumb.jpg.2d9e2753bccfe2dd81ff795bf1662410.jpg

I know, ... many questions. But after poking around for quite a while here and other places I couldn't find anything really tangible to my problem.

That's why: any help would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Andreas

Good luck. It was designed with the old DIP version not with the newer releases. I couldn't get my newer version to work. I'd suggest talking to @F.G. Kaal as it's his design. Easier to make a nanopeb work, so that's what I did until I replaced that with a TIPI

42 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Good luck. It was designed with the old DIP version not with the newer releases. I couldn't get my newer version to work. I'd suggest talking to @F.G. Kaal as it's his design. Easier to make a nanopeb work, so that's what I did until I replaced that with a TIPI

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I know, TIPI  or the upcoming SDD 99 is/will be a much more versatile solution.

For file-exchange I use FinalGROM 99, so it's more like challenge to figure things out and get it to work.

I ordered already the part for the cable (DB25), so since I don't have a DIP-version either, this is likely gonna be a futile attempt, too.

With the NanoPEB, as well as the F18A  I was late to the game. The only think available back then (2017) were two CF7+.

The NanoPEB isn't on my wish list any longer. Now I'm waiting for the SDD 99. Hope won't miss this one.

For F18A I'm still hoping to get a MK2 one day it's been released.

I read all CF7+ search hits here, and was able to get a bit more information than from the manual.

The only mention in the CF7+ manual regarding the printer port are these two lines:

Printer Port

The printer port is designed for parallel printers. It is nearly identical to TI’s original PIO port.

For example, to print a Basic program listings use the command LIST “PIO”.

Guess, the initial intention of this port was to print only.

Glad to see one took it one step further and implemented the CFHDXP1 and TI99HDX server :) - Thanks!

Anyhow - I would really like to hear people's experiences regarding the parallel port part of the CF7+.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I don't have this version of CF7A+ so I can't know if it will work with Ti99Hdx server. The previous version had a spare CRU bit I could use in Cf2k to turn the bus arround (Read or Write) I really don't know if that (same) CRU bit is still availalable in this version.

There are different components used so I really can't tell if this newer version is working the same as the older versions.

You also need a real parallel port on your PC/Laptop. It doesn't work with a USB-Parallel converter. If you don't have a real parallel port then you could try the Arduino Parallel to serial converter mentioned on my website here http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99hdx/ti99hdx_cf7a+.html

Fred ;-)

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1