IGNORED

What the classic Konami intro would look/sound like on the Atari 2600...

Fragmare

In case you were just dying to know what the classic Konami logo intro sequence would look and sound like on the ole 2600, i recreated the famous jingle for the TIA, then recreated the intro graphics to VCS spec and made a mockup...

Demo Video (MP4), TIAtracker module (ZIP), and 2600 ROM (BIN) attached below :)

KonamiJingle.zip

KonamiJingle.bin

KonamiIntro2600.mp4

• Like 5

The jingle blows up pretty badly after one rep on my portable Stella emulator.

Here, try the attached konami.BIN. It uses a proper loop point to halt the sound. It's only supposed to play once anyway.

Also, I'll attach the updated Capcom BIN/MP4 in case anybody wants it.

I tried the Konami jingle bin file on real hardware and it sounds excellent, but its just a black screen.

Is it supposed to have anything on screen? I thought it did.

The BIN files are just the TIA jingles, as built by TIAtracker. The MP4 videos are animated mockups with 2600 spec graphics combined with the TIA sound. If anybody with programming experience wants to make an ACTUAL demo with these resources, they're more than welcome to.

konami.bin

capcom.bin

CapcomIntro2600_01b.mp4

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that.

So then on real hardware, these bins are just the sound and have no graphics.

I guess the question is wether or not its even possible to do.

I mean, I still recall a ColecoVision bin that was just the Killer Instinct logo on screen. No game. Just to see if it could be done & how it would look.

All I know is that a few years ago a homebrew programmer pulled off full motion video on snes by porting Data Easts laser disc game Road Blaster / Road Avenger and it came out bad ass. Even superior to the Sega cd version. So I dont think having Konamis splash logo appear on a 2600 should be too difficult.

Yea, the Konami splash screen is just using playfield blocks for the logo itself, and a sprite for the 'Konami' text at the bottom. If the 2600 can't do a sprite wide enough for the Konami text, it can always be shrunken down. The rest of the stuff is all palette and raster scanline fuckery the VCS should be more than capable of.

Same goes for the Capcom logo. It's just a sprite sitting on set of blue playfield blocks.

Here is one that is a bit more complex. The big SEGA logo is actually composite image of playfield blocks and smaller sprites/objects used to mask the playfield and create the finer curves in the image.

Here is the playfield image

13YByOl.png

Here is the sprite mask that goes over it (the pink color would be transparent)

tGLrePM.png

And here is both images together...

00aUbnG.png

Included BIN file is the musical jingle only.

SegaSplash.mp4

sega.bin

Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...